Is it possible to be a libertarian and skeptical of globalization? (WOT)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 03:13:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Is it possible to be a libertarian and skeptical of globalization? (WOT)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Are the two positions mutually compatible?
Yes

No

Depends on the reasoning

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 14

Author Topic: Is it possible to be a libertarian and skeptical of globalization? (WOT)  (Read 2975 times)
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2011, 12:07:22 PM »

I agree. And I would add that it makes sense to me (for a right-libertarian at least, even though I wouldn't disagree with the analysis) to include the free movement of wage workers under the descriptor of "goods in trade". What I think a lot of people don't understand is that labor is a commodity like any other under the present system, but it's treated as something special - not because it's held in high regard by those who do so, but for the base motive of not wanting to compete with other forms of the good from other places.

That would solve much of the problem, I agree, especially in those dusty south Texas border towns. A broader concern, however, is this: a lot of native workers are negatively impacted by high migration levels into their areas, because they have not learned the skills necessary to compete. It's these people I think would benefit most from my 'co-operative individualism', as it would help to insulate them from the current of cultural and economic change long enough to adjust themselves to it.

I wouldn't go so far as to equate labor with goods (and NAFTA doesn't either), but I do think an intelligible migrant worker policy is desperately needed.  I wouldn't be in love with government programs to support global trade-driven retraining of affected Americans, but it certainly wouldn't be the greatest evil perpetrated by our government, either.  :-)

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Agreed. My girlfriend is Puerto Rican, but they do their Coke the exact same way. And it's amazing.

Funny how the official line from Coca-Cola is "there's no difference".  Yeah...that's why Mexican Coke outsells American Coke in the (heavily Hispanic) South Valley area of Albuquerque, despite the higher unit cost.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies