Freedom triumphs again in Florida! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 01:17:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Freedom triumphs again in Florida! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Freedom triumphs again in Florida!  (Read 2226 times)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« on: May 06, 2011, 06:01:51 PM »

When you can't win the minority vote your only option to is suppress it.

When your a democrat and don't have legit facts to back you up you call republicans racist.

Gets 'em everytime.

If blacks in Florida did not make up a larger share of early voters compared to their share in the General Election, do you honestly think the GOP would be doing this?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 12:55:31 AM »

Good post, Marokai.

I don't disagree with most of what you wrote. Everything that parties do concerning election law is designed to better their chances of winning. I think that's pretty clear. Republicans are also undoubtedly better at the game.

I'm only disputing the supposedly racist nature of the proposed legislation. In fact. I think it's rather racist to assume that Blacks are too dumb to pay attention. Level of being informed, IMO, is much more a matter of class and education level than being a racial or ethnic minority.

Part of it might go into education levels and income, quite simply those who are better educated tend to have more time to vote.  Many people, especially those who tend to be poorer likely don't know the take time off to work laws for example.

Anyway it might be more ideological based that also winds up being racially based, but fact of the matter is blacks in Florida tend to make up a much higher proportion of the early vote than the Election Day vote.

Now perhaps its targeted at Democrats in General, and its just a coincidence that blacks are impacted, but with that being said, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that if whites in the Panhandle were the highest turnout group during Early Voting instead of blacks, this legislation wouldn't exist.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 01:57:54 PM »

Well, that's a risk you have to take in a democracy, no?

It's a risk of course, but one that can be hedged against, like any risk.

Voter ID is already settled law. Certainly someone unwilling to spend the minimal time and expense to procure an ID shouldn't be determining the fate of someone else's tax dollars.

Thats the issue right there.  Forcing someone to get a document they need to pay for (even if its relatively cheap) in order to vote, is another form of a poll tax.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies