Who won the debate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 03:37:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Who won the debate?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Candidates:
Newt Gingrich

Mitt Romney

Ron Paul

Rick Perry

Michele Bachmann

Rick Santorum

Jon Huntsman

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 68

Author Topic: Who won the debate?  (Read 6668 times)
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2011, 04:35:27 PM »

Only Huntsman, Paul and Romney talked anything close to sense.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2011, 07:41:59 PM »
« Edited: December 16, 2011, 07:44:48 PM by Torie »

Mittens had a good night. The fact that I am not in love with his robust military plans, and in particular his love of boats (we can't afford it) is neither here nor there. He will be constrained to dial back on that anyway, if he becomes POTUS. It's just chatter.

I am more confident than ever that Romney will secure the nomination. Newt's jihad btw against Marbury v. Madison is really disturbing to me. But then I am a lawyer, and perhaps more sensitive to such lacunae, or what presumably is lacunae to a majority of folks out there on the Fruited Plain.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2011, 12:40:07 AM »

Romney A
Huntsman B+
Perry B
Paul B-
Bachmann C+
Gingrich C
Santorum C-

Overall none of them were major fails, but Gingrich is going to continue to bleed support.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2011, 01:08:16 AM »

It wasn't a forensic debate where the "winner" is the type of speaker whom would be most likely to persuade a jury hand-selected to be as low-IQ as possible to find their guilty client "not guilty."
This debate was a chance for Republican candidates to woe enough caucus and primary voters to further their election chances. The "winner" was the person whom boosted his chances the most. That would have been either Perry, or Bachmann.

Romney would have "won" if running out the clock was his goal. He's behind in Iowa, and did little, if anything, to boost his vote total in Iowa. Gingrich was brilliant on the offense, but, was beaten up badly. Paul raised his floor, and lowered his ceiling. That ceiling is too low for him to win. Santorum and Huntsman did well enough to help themselves. But, neither did well enough to help themselves enough, nor did the people ahead of them do poorly enough lose their leads over the pair.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2011, 07:25:32 AM »

Gingrich had a rather poor first part of the debate, but his second half was good. Paul's first half was great, but while his foreign policy argument was entirely rational, whether it helps his chances or kills them depends on how many Dems and indies are willing to crossover and how many Republicans either don't care or now agree with him on foreign policy. Romney was a fairly steady constant.

So I'd reckon Romney won it.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2011, 08:01:15 AM »

Saw the debate after the fact, and clearly Romney dominated. His response about Obama's policy of "pretty please" made me legitimately laugh. Might be the first time Romney ever said anything that truly made this Republican belly chuckle.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2011, 11:01:16 AM »

Interesting how many here are boiling in personal feelings.

In terms of the point of the debate (to possibly convert voters) I'd give the edge to Huntsman.  He was actually in Iowa, got more applause for his answers than usual and sounded very polished.

Gingrich may have stopped some of the bleeding, but I think he's still on his way down.

Romney was a push.  Bachmann and Santorum continue to slide.

Paul?  Win some, lose some.  His earnestness re: Iran and war may be very refreshing to some, but may alienate "Empire America" socons that were supporting him on small government/social grounds.  A push, but a weird one.  He sounded a lot more poised than usual.

I'd probably say:

1.  Huntsman
2 (tie).  Paul, Gingrich
3.  Romney
4 (tie).  Santorum, Bachmann

No real major winners or losers, though.  For me, most curious thing will be watching Paul's numbers change (up, down, nothing?), and to see if Huntsman rises above blip status in IA.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies