Is profanity sinful/morally wrong? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 08:35:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Is profanity sinful/morally wrong? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is profanity sinful/morally wrong?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: Is profanity sinful/morally wrong?  (Read 10579 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: June 21, 2008, 08:37:22 AM »

I don't put that much power in individual words.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 07:23:31 PM »

I don't put that much power in individual words.

This was always the correct stance to me. The intent and meaning behind the use of arbitrarily deemed "profane" words in its context is what I always regarded as potentially sinful. I've held this position steadfastly for a long time and convinced many devout believers (including my own family) that this was scripture's intention.

In the same breath, our culture has deemed these words offensive for whatever reason (or lack thereof, more often than that). With that in mind, it's probably best to abstain in order not to cause a fellow believer to stumble or confuse the mind of a non-believer into thinking you are being a hypocrite if they don't understand the nuances. See Romans 14, which, while not specifically addressing the use of culturally offensive words (such an idea did not exist when scripture was written), contains tenets that I think aptly apply.

What we arrive at is, not surprisingly, that their usage as sinfully or morally wrong (from a Christian perspective) is a grey area. In mixed company, however, it is better to abstain for their sake.
Yep, that's what I would have said if I wasn't lazy Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies