New Charlottesville 'white civil rights rally' in DC (Unite the Right 2)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 06:37:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  New Charlottesville 'white civil rights rally' in DC (Unite the Right 2)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11]
Author Topic: New Charlottesville 'white civil rights rally' in DC (Unite the Right 2)  (Read 15301 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: August 15, 2018, 06:56:44 AM »

FDR did not minimize the poverty of the South, white and black.  Why should folks on Atlas?  Is that a liberal or progressive thing to do?

No one is 'minimizing' the poverty of the South; rather, they are objecting to it being used to deflect from the issue at hand, which is the gross human rights violation of Southern slavery.

I get that, but slavery ended in 1865.  The crushing poverty endured by persons of both races in the South continued well into the 20th century.

New and different cruelties were inflicted on African-Americans in the South after 1865, including lynching, vagrancy laws, and arresting people to be prison labor, that persisted the racial divisions of slavery without exactly the same methods. It’s about more than poverty, but even then, poverty was experienced differently and to a different degree.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #251 on: August 15, 2018, 06:06:11 PM »

FDR did not minimize the poverty of the South, white and black.  Why should folks on Atlas?  Is that a liberal or progressive thing to do?

No one is 'minimizing' the poverty of the South; rather, they are objecting to it being used to deflect from the issue at hand, which is the gross human rights violation of Southern slavery.

I get that, but slavery ended in 1865.  The crushing poverty endured by persons of both races in the South continued well into the 20th century.

New and different cruelties were inflicted on African-Americans in the South after 1865, including lynching, vagrancy laws, and arresting people to be prison labor, that persisted the racial divisions of slavery without exactly the same methods. It’s about more than poverty, but even then, poverty was experienced differently and to a different degree.

I'm not denying that.  But at a certain level, people can't feel other people's pain; they can only feel their own.  Empathy, even great empathy, only goes so far.

One reason many are angry in America is that they are constantly referred to the man with no feet when they have no shoes.  Yes, the man with no feet is worse off, but they live in a world of shod people and they have to walk a mile to work barefoot.

The guy who has it hard, but is 1 or 2 levels from the bottom of the barrel gets the least empathy in just about any situation.  Look at your life and experience, then tell me if it's true or not.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #252 on: August 16, 2018, 06:46:27 AM »

I'm not denying that.  But at a certain level, people can't feel other people's pain; they can only feel their own.  Empathy, even great empathy, only goes so far.

One reason many are angry in America is that they are constantly referred to the man with no feet when they have no shoes.  Yes, the man with no feet is worse off, but they live in a world of shod people and they have to walk a mile to work barefoot.

The guy who has it hard, but is 1 or 2 levels from the bottom of the barrel gets the least empathy in just about any situation.  Look at your life and experience, then tell me if it's true or not.

The history of Jim Crow was about glorifying and elevating the white man in the South, regardless of his economic situation. That’s how we ended up with all those monuments.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies