Alea Iacta Est: Start on December 11th (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 04:21:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Alea Iacta Est: Start on December 11th (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which option would you play?
Robert's Rebellion (282 AL)

First Triumvirate (53 BC)

Legend of the Galactic Heroes (796 UC)

"Balance of Power" Style Game (1840-1890)

Napoleonic Wars (1803)*

The Punic Wars (220-218 BC)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 19

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Alea Iacta Est: Start on December 11th  (Read 4186 times)
Dereich
YaBB God

« on: November 15, 2017, 09:37:43 AM »

You know, just the other day I was thinking a Roman Republic game could work really well. I was assuming the 1st Punic War would be the time, but I see you would have players as persons more than states. Do you think there would be enough to do in a game like this? There have been problems in some past games with less military inclined players getting shut out once the focus shifts over to war.

Even though it won't happen for the reasons you described, a LOGH game would be amazing. I'd be interested to know more details. When would you start it? Assuming you're starting in the era of the show, it makes a big difference if you'd start with, say, Reinhard as Kaiser or Yang as merely General Staff Officer. Also, who would people play as? I could see Reinhard, Yang, the Kaiser, and I guess Trunicht being characters...but who else did you have in mind?
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 01:42:30 PM »

After some PMs with Kalwejt,

Lumine, would it be possible for me to take Russia and Kalwejt France? Smiley

HE HASN'T EVEN DECIDED ON THE GAME YET, SLOW DOWN.

As I realize I didn't say, I voted for everything.
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 02:10:11 PM »
« Edited: November 16, 2017, 08:59:31 PM by Dereich »

LOGH is a GRAND show, very well-designed and intelligent, with the most nuanced and interesting arguments about democracy vs autocracy as governing systems I've seen on TV. It's a little slow to start, but its must-watch material for Atlas users.

Plus, its where Lumine's name came from. Don't y'all want to know where Lumine's name came from? Go watch it.

PS: Team Yang/FPA>>>>>>>>Team Empire
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 02:25:06 PM »

Plus, its where Lumine's name came from. Don't y'all want to know where Lumine's name came from? Go watch it.

PS: Team Yang/FPA>>>>>>>>Team Empire

Oskar von Reuental >>>>>>>> The rest of the cast

There, I said it.

Lies.
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 09:05:32 PM »
« Edited: November 16, 2017, 09:22:23 PM by Dereich »

If you were going to start the 19th century game before 1840, my suggestion would be immediately after the July Monarchy is established in July 1830. The Belgian Revolution would be an immediate issue for major players to deal with and a new (relatively) more liberal monarchy in France would be a good excuse for the shakeup in the Concert of Europe that putting Atlas users in charge of 19th century nations would immediately cause.

Otherwise, I like the 1840 start date. There would be a year or two of "good times" to get used to the game and the Concert before things really hit the fan with the famines and recessions of the mid-1840s that led to 1848. I'd think that any start time after 1830 would have to be more or less designed around the chaos of 1848; it'd be the elephant in the room that would either be the climax of the game or it would be what would shape the world we'd start in.
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 05:21:06 PM »

I'm not sure how relevant it is, but the problem I see with an 19th century game is one of player involvement. The closer you get to the modern day, the more the map expands: in the 1860s you start factoring in the United States, Japan, China, and maybe the CSA or another New World nation. From several games worth of experience (IE the Wildlings, Portugal, Japan, the last 1860s game) it gets very very boring and frustrating to play a state which only interacts regularly with one or two other players and whose involvement in the "main action" is minimal. A lot is put on the players of those states to stay invested and to independently act (as opposed to just reacting) to stay involved in the main part of the game.

Take the US Civil War in an 1860 game. If either the US/CSA player drops out or is highly inactive, there's only so much you can do. And once the war is over, the ability of the USA/CSA to interfere in the "main action" in Europe is minimal due to size, transportation difficulty, and popularity issues. Similarly, a Japan player might feasibly interact regularly with the British and maybe the Russians, but unless things veer WILDLY ahistorical that's it. To stay involved, non-European countries have to be played by creative and active players, something that I see being a serious problem...because once players get bored they start dropping out, and from there games seem to stagnate and die.

I don't really have a suggestion or anything for this; I'm not sure what could be done. It's just the problem I've seen before and worry that this is the sort of game where it'd come up.
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 06:01:20 PM »

I'll take Cato the Younger.
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 09:56:45 AM »

If Pompey is more important than Cato, I'd be willing to switch.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies