Gubernatorial/Statewide Social Media Monitor
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 10:50:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Gubernatorial/Statewide Social Media Monitor
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gubernatorial/Statewide Social Media Monitor  (Read 716 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 25, 2010, 08:27:25 PM »

Using this thread to track the ways that social media continues to transform the political scene for Gubernatorial/Statewide races. As I have said, I think an extreme potent cocktail combining the trends of rising interest in politics at a mass level (2000-present), rising political polarization (1980-present), the media revolution (1980-present), and the world wide web content explosion (1995-present) is coming together and the 2008 Presidential elections were only a preview.

The 2010 Gubernatorial/Statewide elections will be characterized by certain Rules.

Rule #1: Top-down driven campaigns attempting to create a bottom-up image and "viral" marketing campaigns that are really massively backed by money at the highest level

Rule #2: Political advertising will start to look more like commercial advertising

Rule #3: A revolution in social media and online networking that will absolutely dominate everything politics from media memes to fundraising to mobilization

Rule #4: in a continuation of 2008, a trend towards a focus on "big stars" and dominating personalities, but to a lesser extent than Presidential races.

Rule #5: when reading articles online, the comments will be more interesting than the story.

This thread may just be forgotten, but if not, I may be posting articles here from time to time chronicling these exciting developments.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 08:29:26 PM »

First story

Meg Whitman’s FAIL Blog FAIL
http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2010/06/meg_whitmans_failblog_fail.html

I can't tell whether this is an illustration of Rule #5, "when reading articles online, the comments will be more interesting than the story," or the exception that proves the rule. Tongue
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 08:44:38 PM »

I kinda disagree with #5.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 08:47:29 PM »

Reporters are restricted from saying what they really think. A typical story will go like this: "Obama says we are doing everything we can to clean up the gulf."

Nothing could be more boring or pro forma. But Obama has to say it, and the press has to report it.

In the comments section you learn what the reaction is; how effective his words are; what the mood of the people is. Of course, you don't take everything literally, you must know your context. And online commentators tend to come more often from the party out of power. But the more interesting part often is the comments section.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 09:11:18 PM »

In my experience, the comments section of any news site is a vast wasteland of idiocy.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 09:41:58 PM »

In my experience, the comments section of any news site is a vast wasteland of idiocy.

Yea they are.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 11:07:53 PM »

First story

Meg Whitman’s FAIL Blog FAIL
http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2010/06/meg_whitmans_failblog_fail.html

I can't tell whether this is an illustration of Rule #5, "when reading articles online, the comments will be more interesting than the story," or the exception that proves the rule. Tongue

Lawl at "Fail Blog"s sense of self-importance. Don't hold your breath waiting for that apology, guys.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies