Pacific Legislature Official Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 02:08:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Pacific Legislature Official Thread (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Pacific Legislature Official Thread  (Read 262173 times)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2007, 06:44:34 AM »

***Secret message to the Governor***

TISA: A;A;N;A;-

Sga diqbar id sga qazak rbol kaucaq, VLR, guta sujam Kur Tafur.

Gecemf vesg u rlukk fqion id xioq zquta umc kuxuk dakkiv Nubedebumr uvuesemf doqsgaq emrobseimr,

Gofgamsi.

Cim's diqfas or, Fitaqmiq.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2007, 07:40:30 AM »

*Urgent message to the Governor of the Pacific*

ACEGIKMOQSUWY

Goeo,

e ees ae UCEA WEAOS! I ae o see em esoay, u is sue o cick sai.

Ayway, we'e a wa. Isucios?

ugeo.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2007, 07:42:04 AM »

ATM Fees Bill: Nay-it's a bank's right to charge for their efforts if someone uses a competitor's service that still relies on their network and expertise.

ESCR Bill: Aye

AIDS Prevention Bill: Abstain-would be an easy Aye if not for section three. Section three is not enough for a 'Nay', but I'd like an impact study before approving this bill. AIDS Prevention is a worthy goal, however, and I support the Legislature's willingness to consider the issue.

Resolution re: Alaska: I support

Estate Tax Bill: Aye-but again, I have concerns, especially for the farmers. 50% is pretty bloody hefty, especially for struggling farmers in some parts of our region. I propose an amendment to section j), changing the term '50%' to '25%'. I certainly see no reason for it to be higher than the tax on property over $1m.

Science in the Classroom Bill: Aye-The small concerns I have over section 3 are not enough to replace the positive sentiment I hold towards section 1, which is important and unproblematic.

Minimum Wage Increase Bill: Abstain-I support an increase in the minimum wage, but this arbitary figure without any evidence to support its effectiveness or consequences-positive and negative-is unacceptable. I would suggest an alternate bill, which mandates that the minimum wage in the Pacific region will increase according to inflation in the cost of living from a specific point-the starting point could be the current $7.00 or the proposed $7.50, or somewhere in between.

Racial Profiling Bill: Abstain-My civil libertarian says racial profiling is disgraceful. My 'well the statistics show...' side says it has a reason to exist. The first is heftier on my mind, but the concerns of the latter point do not allow me to support this measure as it stands.

LSD Legalisation Bill: Abstain-The health consequences, especially mental health, can be significant. Again, my civil libertarian side plays a part, saying people should be able to make their own choice. I'd also like clarification on the second part.

Public Services Bill: Aye

Environmental Standards Bill: Aye-This is a significant bill that will implement some big changes. Whilst I am worried about the economic effect on other regions of Atlasia, it is in the Pacific's best interest to pass this bill.

Anti-Discrimination Bill: Nay-'Sexual Orientation' can include an adult's preference for young children. Whilst this is not necessarily a concern if they do not act upon their sexual desires nor support any industry relation to the sexual exploitation of children, if there are legal proofs of a person acting in either of these areas a vendor or landlord should have the right to refuse to sell/rent their property to an individual. I'd like to support this bill for many other reasons, but it needs much more detail then that currently present for me to do so.

Repeal of the Three Strikes Act: Aye-I'd also like to introduce another bill:

Review of Sentences Under Three-Strikes Law Bill
1) All sentences handed down due to the three-strikes law will be reviewed by the a Justice Reform Council to be formed by appointees of the Pacific Government and funded by a government provision of $3.5m per annum
2) If a sentence is found to be handed down purely because of the demands of the three-strikes law, independent of the sentencing necessary for the third crime, the sentence will be removed and compensation paid up to the amount $5,000.

(BTW, since we use Arizona law, does the three-strikes law actually exist in the Pacific?)

Darfur Divestment Bill: Nay-Yeah, that's REALLY going to improve the situation for the Sudanese people. Their government might be abysmal, but aiding in the destruction of the Sudanese economy is not something I can support. Let's find other, better ways to end the crisis in Darfur and throughout the region.

Pacific Regions Holiday Bill: Abstain-5 extra official holidays? If these are days in which schools are closed, government services do not open and businesses are forced to pay extra money to employees, I will vote nay. If they are a worthy recognition of the importance of the minority groups represented in the bill, I will vote aye. Also, 6. should be a seperate bill.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2007, 05:36:55 AM »

Abstain
Abstain
Abstain
Aye
Aye
Nay
Aye-also, why was my proposal not submitted?
Nay
Abstain

Also, a little discussion on the points I made would've been great.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2007, 11:15:44 PM »

NAY.

I agree with section one, but freedom of expression allows posting on white nationalist boards-although some things said on such boards may be disgraceful and not worthy of a Pacific citizen, we all still have the right to view and post on those boards, especially if those posts are attacking racism. Whilst is uses words like 'condemn' and 'invites', the impact is pretty clear. Our region is better than this; should we become anti-Nazi Nazis?
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2007, 08:35:50 AM »

Guaranteed Minimum Income Bill
1. The Pacific Government will ensure that every resident will be given a minimum income of $14,900 per year.
2. To apply for this minimum income, a resident must be earning less than $14,900; a citizen earning less than the amount will be given the necessary sum to total an income of $14,900.
3. Residents who do not earn income, including welfare recipients, will be eligible for the full annual $14,900.
4. The guaranteed minimum income will also be open to immigrants including those not documented with the federal government.

edit section 1 to "...that every adult citizen will be...". Section three is problematic. Do pensions count towards the minimum income? Scrap section four. I strongly support immigrant rights but that should be a different bill with the complexities more fully realised.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
edit to "...affairs, two months after the date of passage."

quote]
Local Restrictions Bill
1. Any local laws restricting the sale of alcohol on the basis of the day of the week, or time of the day, is repealed.
2. Any local laws restricting the sale of water-pipes, rolling papers, rolling filters, or cigarette rolling machines is repealed.
3. No age restriction shall exist to purchase a lighter or safety matches.
[/quote]
I like hands off, but I also like better policy than this. What are the effects of this legislation? I'd like to hear some serious discussion on this-I particularly would like to hear from shopkeepers and educators.

Needs way more detail.

No. Way. Ever.

Parents have the right to send their children to the school of their choice. I would strongly support the right of a child to refuse to attend a private school under the obligation that they went to the local government school instead, because I recognise the danger of some private schools 'values' and 'education', but the vast majority have a worthwhile role to play and certainly a right to exist.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2007, 09:37:20 PM »

edit section 1 to "...that every adult citizen will be...".

I have updated the bill to say "every resident over the age of 16."

Section three is problematic. Do pensions count towards the minimum income?

Any money earned would be subtracted from the $14,900 total.
I appreciate the concessions and clarification. I still firmly believe that we should focus this bill on current citizens before immigrants-I strongly, strongly support immigrant rights but it needs to be part of a much larger, more complex bill giving immigrants ceertain rights across the board; we can't do it piece-of-legislation by piece-of-legislation.

Done.

I like hands off, but I also like better policy than this. What are the effects of this legislation? I'd like to hear some serious discussion on this-I particularly would like to hear from shopkeepers and educators.

Well, basically, some counties are "dry."  Since it is within the Region's power to remove these restrictions, and "dry laws" are an infringement on the rights of our residents, I am hoping to do exactly that.  The restrictions on rolling papers, etc., comes from a desire by anti-marijuana politicians to simultaneously curb the availability of any type of tobacco except corporate tailor-made cigarettes.  The restrictions are unnecessary, especially now that marijuana is legalized in the Pacific.
[/quote]

The second and third sections I have no problem with, but the first, I think does need to be discussed. Is selling alcohol at 9am really a good idea? Is it a bad idea? Let's hear from the community a bit.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2007, 08:43:59 PM »

Guaranteed Minimum Income Bill
Nay

Free Our Prisons Bill
Nay

Metric System Bill
Aye

Local Restrictions Bill