Venezuelan presidential election, 2018 (20 May) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 03:05:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Venezuelan presidential election, 2018 (20 May) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Venezuelan presidential election, 2018 (20 May)  (Read 6123 times)
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« on: March 06, 2018, 12:22:00 PM »

Falcon is the only that doesn't have a recent history as a Chavista

He was a chavista until 2010, I'd say that counts as recent.

But yeah, Falcón won't win. I'd be shocked if he managed to reach 40% of the vote. He is a terrible candidate and was practically handpicked by Maduro to run against him.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 08:49:11 PM »

Here's how the ballot looks like

Very democratic indeed

Considering 2 of the main opposition parties are banned and the rest refused to participate, yeah, no wonder it looks like that.

Maduro should win easily.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 07:51:18 PM »

These turnout numbers are completely meaningless and part of a silly dick-measuring contest between the regime and its opponents, with the former claiming large turnout and the former claiming minuscule turnout (ie. an opposition-aligned pollster has 16% turnout at 3 p.m.). Given the CNE's legendary transparency and the regime's thirst for a big turnout, they'll likely massage the numbers, presumably to get turnout above 50%.

For reference, in last summer's fake constituent assembly elections, the official turnout was reported at over 41% while the opposition claimed less than 20%.

*Ding ding ding* We have a winner!

Turnout in wealthy area very low and higher in poorer areas.  Things are working the way Maduro planned it. 

I guess poor people are (still) more pro-Maduro than Venezuela at large?

Oh, most definitely. The poorer the area, the more likely it is for it's population to vote for Maduro.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 08:01:15 PM »

Anyone got a results page or is this gonna be like a Turkmen 98% election

Only the CNE (National Electoral Council) is allowed to post the results, and they'll only do it once most of the votes (and I mean like more than 90% of them) have been counted, and only after they announce the results on national TV.

I'll post the results page once it goes live.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 08:57:22 PM »

Falcón just stated that he is not going to recognize the results. Complained about unfavorable conditions.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 09:33:00 PM »

Maduro: 67.7%
Falcón: 21.2%
Bertucci: 10.8%
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 11:48:10 AM »

Link to the official "results"

http://www.cne.gov.ve/ResultadosElecciones2018/

Spoiler: Maduro won everywhere.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 08:28:23 AM »

Even if these results are falsified or the result of voters constrained by the regime's criminal gangs or various fraudulent schemes, they couldn't even get a 'great triumph'

2018: 6,205,875
2015 (Parl.): 5,622,844
2013: 7,587,579 (Maduro)
2012: 8,191,132 (Chávez)

Sad!

I notice that the CNE's webpage doesn't include the results of the expat vote (where it could take place). Perhaps the turnout abroad was too minuscule to even be falsified with a straight face (and how embarrassing would it be to admit that Venezuelan refugees aren't enamoured with the great anti-imperialist revolution?).

While turnout abroad was likely very, very low, this is definitely not the reason. There are probably millions of Venezuelans abroad (some estimates say that there are about 1.5 to 4 millions), yet only 110 thousand of them are registered to vote. And the CNE has previously shown the expat vote where the opposition candidate absolutely crushes the chavista candidate.

It's probably either a mistake, or the CNE just wants to mess with the voters abroad by not recognizing them.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies