Erasing the Confederacy -How Far Would you Go? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 11:25:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Erasing the Confederacy -How Far Would you Go? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which of the following do you sanction?
Removing the Confederate flag from public grounds and license plates

Removing Confederate monuments from public grounds

Removing Confederate names from roads, bridges, highways, schools, etc

Getting rid of Confederate History Month

Getting rid of Confederate holidays

Forbidding private homeowners from flying the Confederate flag on their property

Other (please specify, in case I missed anything)

NOTA

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 277

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Erasing the Confederacy -How Far Would you Go?  (Read 23512 times)
TNF
Atlas Icon

« on: June 29, 2015, 07:29:07 AM »

Everything but prohibiting the flying of the flag at private residencies.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 11:01:37 AM »

This, but allow Confederate license plates if the car owner is willing to pay a fee to obtain it from the state. Who are the five voters who want to ban private homeowners from flying a flag? Show yourselves, statists! Tongue

One already has:

Yes, and I stand by it. If you're flying it outside of your house, you're exposing it to public view. Nobody should be forced to see such vicious symbol of hatred and oppression.

Should we erase it from the history books then, too? Perhaps substitute the Gadsden Flag for it in video games? I'm all stopping it being used by state and local governments in any capacity, but once you go beyond that, you're stepping into overkill territory, in my mind. Of course my position would be different in the context of an actual conflict with these types, but I think that, in peacetime, removing symbols of political dissent, be they of the right or the left, opens the door for some very bad things down the road.

Beyond that, if we're being logically consistent in prohibiting private display of the Confederate flag on the grounds that it is a symbol of hatred and oppression, should we not also ban the private display of the U.S. flag? Because while the Confederacy represented slavery and white supremacy for a mere four years, the U.S. flag represented slavery for 89 years and white supremacy (in an official capacity) for 188 years, to say nothing of the fact that it also represents the extermination of indigenous people, brutal wars of conquest (Mexico, Cuba, the Phillippines) and exploitation (Korea, Vietnam), coups against democratically-elected governments elsewhere (Middle East, Latin America, Asia), etc, etc.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 05:37:24 PM »

I'm fine with showing these symbols in ways and forms that don't entail an endorsement. History books and other displays for factual purposes are obviously OK. Flying a flag out of your house is of course very different. Can you imagine a German flying a Nazi flag out of their house?

No, I can't. And that's mostly because the German public is repulsed enough by such a display that they'd give the person a stern talking to, which might or might not end up with the douchebag flying the thing walking away with a black eye. Building anti-racist consciousness is going to make sure that people don't put those flags up; and those that do end up regretting it. I'd rather rely on public opinion than the strong arm of the state myself.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies