Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 04:48:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion Thread  (Read 14655 times)
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« on: May 05, 2019, 11:47:52 PM »

I mean, Daenerys has always been a psychopath. Honestly this ending makes sense and I like it.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 12:55:46 AM »

The difference, of course, is that in every one of those previous cases reasons had been laid out why Dany felt justified and we as an audience (usually) agreed she was justified in doing so. In this case, they didn't. They had Daenerys prioritize attacking civilians because Huh?

Executing the Tarlys in S7 after they had laid down their arms was not much different from this.

She executed the Tarlys because they DIDN'T.  Rewatch the damn episode.

Watch it right here and tell me exactly at what point are the Tarlys holding weapons? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXGBZ1s5k9Q

They and the Lannister soldiers had been disarmed at that point; they were POWs. Dany executed them because they did not want to bend the knee, ie. acknowledge her as queen. Following that logic, I suppose it would have been OK with you if she had just first asked the unarmed peasants which they preferred, her or Cersei, and then burned the ones who preferred Cersei?

Making an example of openly rebellious lords is not unique to Daenerys. Nobody considered Tywin Lannister crazy after he exterminated House Tarbeck and then trapped the 300 members of House Reyne in a mine and had it flooded so they drowned when they were offering to negotiate. In fact, it only made his stature grow. The WISDOM of Danaerys' decision to execute Tarly is certainly questionable, but there is clearly a reason for her actions and it wasn't treated as an outrageous act in-universe. Something that was true of all of the actions you've mentioned until today's burning of KL.

I don't think anyone has denied that Daenerys tends to overpunish. But that doesn't lead to her massacring civilians for no reason. The show did not establish that as something she would ever do and that, I think, is where the real issue is.
I mean,
In the season they had to rush a bit because they didn"t have time. But it's obvious in the books she's crazy.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 12:41:56 AM »

I hope the books won't end like that.

windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 12:51:59 AM »

Martin has given them a bullet point list to work from. This is how they will end.
There is no way Bron rules the hightowers And the redwynnes.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies