'The threat to our universities' - Stefan Collini (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 06:10:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate
  Political Essays & Deliberation (Moderator: Torie)
  'The threat to our universities' - Stefan Collini (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 'The threat to our universities' - Stefan Collini  (Read 6115 times)
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« on: March 29, 2012, 10:59:42 AM »

I loathe, loathe, loathe the attitude that the only good education is the one that makes the most money.

Thanks for posting.

I second this, and the way they push it in our university... ugh.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 11:12:43 AM »

I realise that by merely raising a quizzical eyebrow about the self-evident priority of these goals I am going to be damned for being out of touch with "the real world".

Some see education as a means to an end; others see it as an end in itself. 

I've gotten past it.  I don't know how old I was when I realized that the vast majority of students see education as a meal ticket.  "What are you going to do with your degree?"  "Oh, I don't know.  Hang it on the wall, maybe.  More likely, it'll collect dust on a shelf."  "No, I mean, how will you market yourself?"  That sort of thing.  To this day I still see education as a goal in itself, but I've been keenly aware that many folks do not.

We roll with it.  We even exploit the fact, using it as a recruiting edge.  (That's probably why Lulu notices that it is being "pushed" in his university.)

It is true that university education is the means to an end, but nonetheless, it shouldn't be the be all/end all of the matter. Education is there to make people into well rounded, intelligent human beings as much as it is there to create job opportunities.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies