SENATE BILL: Pacific Emergency Stimulus (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 07:12:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Pacific Emergency Stimulus (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Pacific Emergency Stimulus (Law'd)  (Read 6424 times)
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2014, 04:19:04 PM »

Bailouts can work assuming the region is turned around, but that's my goal here. We need to give them a set of benchmarks to on taxes and give them tax holidays on payroll, etc, so jobs can be created. That is our ultimate goal. If we see a turnaround, revenues will explode in the future as opposed to what they are now, which is a good thing for us, and we can make money off the interest of whatever funds we provide them. I will try to present an amendment after we get through these other things.
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2014, 04:48:39 PM »

I would like to remember you guys that despite that not being booked in our budget, as SoIA, I've activated the SEDZI Act and we are currently supplying the Pacfic with more than 65 billion according to previous GM Griffin Estimates.

What? I don't think the Pacific meets all of the requirements to become a SEDZ.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

#3 is relevant here. I don't think that the median income (per capita, I assume) is lower than $21,000.
Well, I'm considering my estimates that I got from Griffin, those zones are determined by a local level, cities actually, and they are already in place. The cap you've mentioned is not regional based, it's only a local cap.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2014, 04:54:20 PM »

Ensuring that there is structure and stipulations for any bailout is vital. Assuring federal taxpayers that Pacific will get their fiscal house in order is a necessity.

If we do stimulus in a responsible manner, versus a bailout, then we will see a massive expansion in payroll tax revenue in July of 2015. The sunset for the payroll tax relief will be incredibly enriching for federal revenues, so we should recoup most if not all lost revenue. Let's face it, at least one in five Pacific citizens aren't paying the payroll tax. We won't be losing much.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2014, 04:55:45 PM »

If there is already 65 billion going into the region, the size of the bailout included in this legislation needs to be dramatically reduced.
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2014, 05:01:23 PM »

If there is already 65 billion going into the region, the size of the bailout included in this legislation needs to be dramatically reduced.

I could just de-activate the SEDZI...
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2014, 05:03:28 PM »

Or leave it in place and no one legislates more money into the region before there is proper tax relief in the region.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2014, 05:06:59 PM »

Well, hold on. The relevant text in the SEDZI states that the Senate must approve the spending, and we certainly have not done that, unless this is spending authorized (and yet not accounted for) by a previous Senate.

Also, drawing a distinction between tax "relief" and government spending is a little disingenuous. In either case, the margin of the federal government decreases, and tax relief is slightly less effective because some of that money gets saved by consumers, as opposed to direct spending.

If our only form of "stimulus" is cutting taxes, it'll be less effective than a well-planned stimulus structure aimed to aid the lowest income members of society.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2014, 05:07:03 PM »
« Edited: January 08, 2014, 05:09:15 PM by President Duke »

I could just de-activate the SEDZI...

Just deactive it and let us pass the bill here so we can have as much control/oversight as possible. I have Oakvale on the ground there now. There is a greater risk that the $65 billion is squandered if we just hand it to them and hope, and I don't want to take that risk. The region has been in chaos for a while, and it's high time to actually make some progress.

And Tryion, I do want to provide them with money. I am not just advocating tax cuts. I just believe that we need to legislate some benchmarks (like dropping their absurdly high tax rate at the moment, etc) that we want to see. They need money though with their enormous deficit, and we can take the hit at the federal level better than they can.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2014, 05:07:58 PM »

I agree with President Duke, as I am not at all sure that the SEDZI should even be applied that way.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2014, 05:18:18 PM »

Whatever procedural measures that need to be taken, should be taken so that the Senate can move onto greater discussions. Then the President can propose his changes converting this legislation into a "megabill."
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2014, 05:44:07 PM »

I agree with President Duke, as I am not at all sure that the SEDZI should even be applied that way.

The text allows me to use it until 2015...
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2014, 08:40:48 PM »

I'd like to thank Riley for his involvement and I support the payroll tax amendment and allowing Oakvale to be on the committee.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2014, 08:42:06 PM »

True, but I think that if this has been on the books for 3.5 years now, and there has been little to no ostensible unemployment impact, we should probably be looking elsewhere. Presumably, the SEDZs have already been in effect, no?
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2014, 08:58:18 PM »

True, but I think that if this has been on the books for 3.5 years now, and there has been little to no ostensible unemployment impact, we should probably be looking elsewhere. Presumably, the SEDZs have already been in effect, no?

The text requires SoIA Action and I didn't find anything saying that the SEDZI was happening, we could end with this bill all together but all of this leads to me thinking that the GMs are being "kind" to the Pacfic. We are not Somalia creating Special Zones, we are a High-Tech Argentina, so unemployment should have been smaller. Even so, I believe that this new law will be far more efficient than the SEDZI to solve Pacifican Problems!
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #89 on: January 08, 2014, 10:25:55 PM »

Why not make this conditional upon the passage of a new constitution and some structural reforms in the Pacific government (such as fixing that ridiculous Council situation)? It may very well be a good idea to put the region's elections in the hands of an appointed administrator until we declare this state of "emergency" to be over (I suppose Oakvale's position could work for this role, or someone else could be asked to do it).

Dumping money at the issue isn't going to work when the regional government, for better or worse, is inept and feeble. It might bring down unemployment in the short run, but such improvement will just fade completely once the money stops pumping in, and we don't need the federal government to permanently subsidize 1 region while ignoring 4 others.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #90 on: January 08, 2014, 10:34:51 PM »

Dumping money at the issue isn't going to work when the regional government, for better or worse, is inept and feeble. It might bring down unemployment in the short run, but such improvement will just fade completely once the money stops pumping in, and we don't need the federal government to permanently subsidize 1 region while ignoring 4 others.
^^^This is essentially my position right now. I think there are ways we can help the Pacific through tax breaks and reliefs, but even with setting restrictions on how the money is spent, how can we be assured that we're not going to be right back in this position in a few months?

Personally, my goal right now is going to be to work with Governor PJ and anyone else interested in the Pacific to find regional reforms and legislation that makes for a more job-friendly climate. While I understand this has become a federal issue, it's an issue that can be fixed at the regional level.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #91 on: January 08, 2014, 10:52:42 PM »

Why not make this conditional upon the passage of a new constitution and some structural reforms in the Pacific government (such as fixing that ridiculous Council situation)? It may very well be a good idea to put the region's elections in the hands of an appointed administrator until we declare this state of "emergency" to be over (I suppose Oakvale's position could work for this role, or someone else could be asked to do it).

What are you referring to? The council is a body of three.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #92 on: January 08, 2014, 11:16:44 PM »

It is my personal opinion that the Pacific's problems extend beyond that which a normal regional government is able to deal with effectively. However, with the introduction of Oakvale's position, we have the opportunity to approve extensive economic powers to someone with the region's interests at heart. Bureaucracy is inherently inefficient and a 5 person commission would definitely slow down the rate of progress and do no good for business confidence.

Creating an emergency toolbox for the federally appointed emergency manager, in this case Oakvale, to make spending and revenue adjustments in a timely and efficient manner is crucial. Projecting to businesses that things are turning around quickly will be very attractive to them. The Senate should develop a sunset target, 6% unemployment rate for example, and then develop a set of tools the manager has to work with. Those tools should include the ability shift spending and adjust revenue levels until the sunset target is met. The commission would still have a place in the system. If the members are unanimous in consent, they can halt the manager's actions and request a Senate review.

All of this would be included in any potential bailout for the region. Any plan developed by the Senate in regards to the emergency manager would have to be agreed upon by the regional government. If they shoot it down, fine. This would make any proposed reforms much more effective and efficient. We can 100% insure that what needs to happen is happening.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #93 on: January 09, 2014, 02:27:56 AM »

Alright, Mr. Keaton, but I think if we're going to give oakvale or Superique unilateral power, I believe that we as a Senate should have the right to vet the appointee, whoever he may be, in order to ensure a proper process.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #94 on: January 09, 2014, 09:45:59 AM »

If I were to serve as an emergency manager with the oversight powers that, IMO, such a position needs I would of course be willing to answer any and all questions Senators might have.

Naturally language should be included in such a bill to allow for the removal of the manager in exceptional circumstances.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #95 on: January 09, 2014, 12:18:00 PM »

I am in total agreement with Talleyrand. No aid without significant reform or repeal and replacement of the laughable Constitution of the Pacific.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #96 on: January 09, 2014, 12:56:15 PM »

I am in total agreement with Talleyrand. No aid without significant reform or repeal and replacement of the laughable Constitution of the Pacific.

Myself and Tyrion wrote and introduced a reformed Constitution all the way back in October. My first priority as Manager and condition of any stimulus money would be to get this passed yesterday.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #97 on: January 09, 2014, 01:01:42 PM »

Myself and Tyrion wrote and introduced a reformed Constitution all the way back in October. My first priority as Manager and condition of any stimulus money would be to get this passed yesterday.

You have my unmitigated support, Oakvale.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #98 on: January 09, 2014, 01:08:29 PM »

I've been trying like hell to get discussion going on that constitution. I've edited it, tweaked it here and there, gone section-by-section, and broken it down into steps. So if it doesn't get done, it doesn't get done. If it does get done, then it gets done. Before me others made a concerted effort as well. When no one around you has any interest, I guess it's easy to look "feeble and inept."

I would never want to be financial manager or whatever of the region, but some of the infrastructure spending is a good place to start in looking for cuts, which is one reason why I'm holding off on the Rural Housing bill. We're going to go into the country and build houses for people? IDK.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #99 on: January 09, 2014, 01:55:51 PM »

I hope I didn't overstep my authority by unilaterally appointing Oakvale as my manager, but I need eyes and ears on the ground there, and he has been a resident there long enough to qualify. I would hope the Senate has no issue with him. If so, take it out on me. I can handle it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies