Supreme Court cases decided 25 June 2012 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 08:00:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Supreme Court cases decided 25 June 2012 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Supreme Court cases decided 25 June 2012  (Read 1076 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« on: June 25, 2012, 02:22:40 PM »

What's Alito's rationale for upholding 5C but not 3?   Section 6 looks the most problematic to me, since I don't get why a state can't help enforce federal law as long as they respect civil liberties.

In the case of section 5C, Alito agreed with Kennedy that Federal law could preempt such a State law, but disagreed that current Federal law actually did preempt State law in this area, interpreting it as being silent on the issue.

And I agree with Alito on that, but I disagree with his opinion on Section 6.

Out of laziness, I'll just copy and paste my quick Facebook comments on the case:

I think the majority got the case right, with the exception of Section 5(C).  I would agree with Justice Alito on 5(C), but disagree with his dissent on Section 6.  But I'm glad to see that the court unanimously Section 2(B) to be Constitutional.  Whether or not 2(B) may be applied in an unconstitutional manner is not the issue; it is whether the law itself is faulty.  Bad implimentation can be dealt with on an individual basis without striking down the whole section.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 07:16:48 PM »

I'm kinda at a hybrid between Alito and Kennedy.  I think Alito got everything right except Section 6 (or Kennedy got everything right except section 3).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies