Was Trump the only candidate that could beat Hillary Clinton (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 07:41:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Was Trump the only candidate that could beat Hillary Clinton (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Was Trump the only candidate that could beat Hillary Clinton  (Read 5758 times)
mencken
« on: January 16, 2018, 12:32:03 PM »

I've raised this question before, to little response.. County level results seem to suggest that Trump won a fair number of previously Democratic voters, a good number of whom crossed over to vote for him specifically in the primary, but they clearly had no affection for Hillary Clinton either.

I suspect a more conventional Republican wins Wisconsin (where Trump's losses in WOW were enough to offset his gains in the rest of the state), Iowa and Ohio by narrow margins. Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Florida are would have gone Democrat without Trump.
mencken
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 09:13:30 PM »

I've raised this question before, to little response.. County level results seem to suggest that Trump won a fair number of previously Democratic voters, a good number of whom crossed over to vote for him specifically in the primary, but they clearly had no affection for Hillary Clinton either.

I suspect a more conventional Republican wins Wisconsin (where Trump's losses in WOW were enough to offset his gains in the rest of the state), Iowa and Ohio by narrow margins. Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Florida are would have gone Democrat without Trump.

I think Rubio could have possibly won NH, maybe NV.

If Rubio couldn't win either state in the primary, I don't see why he would drum up enough enthusiasm to win them in the general.
mencken
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 11:32:36 AM »

Kasich was polling +8 against Hillary, idk what garbage you guys are smoking when you say Trumps base would have stayed home. The republican base is far more reliable at voting. Turnout wouldn't even break 53% in Kasich vs Hillary (and low turnout benefits old white Republicans who always vote). Barely anyone would care about the election and Kasich wins plenty of moderates.

Obvious Reminder: Trump underperformed Generic Republicans in basically every state (Even in Pennsylvania and Wisconsin). I guess Minnesota was one of the few exceptions, but the DFL party is really good at getting elected.

Most people wanted Obamacare repealed, most people wanted a more conservative president after Obama, etc. -- It's clear if you look at the exit poll results that people wanted a more conservative president, and obviously Hillary was not that.

Trump-skeptical Republican voters tend to be a high turnout group as a whole and thus showed up to vote for Clinton/Johnson/McMullin/whatever and whatever downballot Republican (since Clinton was considered the favorite). Trump-enthusiastic swing voters tend to be lower turnout (i.e. may not have shown up without Trump) and voted a straight ticket. The electorate may not have shown the same demographics without Trump driving up turnout.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies