Teen birth rates are highest in the most religious states (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 06:41:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Teen birth rates are highest in the most religious states (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Teen birth rates are highest in the most religious states  (Read 1071 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: September 17, 2009, 08:09:00 AM »

Religious affiliation statements- which are survey-based only in the US, as the US Census doesn't ask religious affiliation questions- are fairly meaningless.

and it also covers up the fact of the high percentage of minorities in the more religious states.  It's like making a comparison with Texas average SAT scores when a good chunk of the Texas population doesn't even speak English.

Instead of  teen birth rates, I would like to know teen pregnancy rates and see a breakdown among religious whites and nonreligious whites of the same income level.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 08:49:43 AM »
« Edited: September 17, 2009, 09:12:01 AM by jmfcst »

and it also covers up the fact of the high percentage of minorities in the more religious states. 

Very uneven. Clearly there's some correlation with Latino numbers, but you can't tell me that Arkansas and Oklahoma are so high, or even Kentucky or Tennessee, based on minorities. Look at how low down the list the diverse state of New York is by contrast. Not to mention California, which is much lower than Texas with comparable demographics.

that's why I included income in the picture.  California is the least rural state.  You can't compare the behaviors of urban whites in California to poor whites living in Oklahoma small towns where the teen hangout is the only Dairy Queen in town.  Their environments (and level of boredom) are totally different.

A better case study to is compare religious and nonreligious kids living in the same neighborhood.  That kind of study I have great experience in, as I am a parent of four kids.  And I can tell you there is remarkable difference between the kids who love church and those whose family don't even get up on Sunday morning to go to church.

My wife and I stir steer our kids into making friends with those who not only go to church, but those who love church and love God.  That is what is going to make the difference; otherwise, as most of these studies show, religion is worthless.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies