FL-Sen: Bill Nelson coasting (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:29:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  FL-Sen: Bill Nelson coasting (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FL-Sen: Bill Nelson coasting  (Read 2180 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: May 13, 2012, 04:02:56 PM »

Somewhat off-topic, but can someone explain to me why Collier County (Naples) is so Republican?  Even Harris won the county.

Lots of retired rich olds who aren't Jewish, few minorities, and not as many tourism/service industry employees. A lot like The Villages or Charlotte County.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 11:59:33 AM »

I don't think there are many Cubans in that area, it's not very connected to the Miami despite geography due to all the swampland between it. The Hispanics are probably mostly sugar cane farm workers or picking oranges. However true to form this doesn't equal high turnout. Check out this precinct:

Population: 23684
VAP: 15687
73.6% Hispanic VAP (11539 Hispanics)

Vote:
Obama 1620
McCain 803

Granted the precinct is also about 20% black and less than 5% white and has less white VAP than McCain votes, so a lot of those Hispanics obviously were voting McCain, so there probably are some Cubans with the Obama vote being mostly black. However it's clear that most of the Hispanics aren't voting.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies