DeSantis bans lab grown meat in Florida
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:49:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DeSantis bans lab grown meat in Florida
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: DeSantis bans lab grown meat in Florida  (Read 1221 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2024, 11:14:52 PM »

Is there any scientific evidence that suggests lab grown meat is unsafe for consumption, or is this just more culture war posturing from DeSantis?

Even if there is, remember how Republicans acted when NYC banned large cups for sodas? All the "muh freedom" and all that? In my state, we made it illegal for any city or county to enact such a ban because people should have the freedom to use as large of a cup as they want for Coke or sweet tea. So for Republicans to turn around and banning artificial meat over "health concerns" would be pretty rich.

What I don't get is how this is a "culture war" thing in the first place. Lab-grown meat isn't very common among people in any political persuasion, and the only way it ever will be is if they get to the point where it's cheaper than real meat and takes identical or close to it. If that happens, people of all politics will decide to save the money and eat it.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2024, 11:16:33 PM »

This guy has done nothing but pander to culture war freaks and conspiracy theorists for most of his tenure, while his state is falling apart at the seams.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2024, 11:36:26 PM »

This is overreach and should be struck down. Even products that present real health risks (cigarettes, alcohol) cannot be banned so it's hard to see how lab grown meat being banned stands up.

Yeh, came here to say I don't see how this survives a court challenge.

What's the legal basis for the law? Virtue Signaling To Your Base is not a reason any rational jurist is going to accept for outlawing some private company growing meat in a lab and selling it to private citizens on the free market.
TechbroMBA
Rookie
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2024, 11:52:17 PM »

Dumb. Pointless. Really just awful and mean-spirited legislation.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2024, 11:59:12 PM »

This is overreach and should be struck down. Even products that present real health risks (cigarettes, alcohol) cannot be banned so it's hard to see how lab grown meat being banned stands up.

What's the legal basis for the law? Virtue Signaling To Your Base is not a reason any rational jurist is going to accept for outlawing some private company growing meat in a lab and selling it to private citizens on the free market.

What's there to challenge? Conservative judges believe that (red) states have the right to ban any and all behavior that conservatives don't like.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2024, 12:56:17 AM »

If you like meat you should be championing lab grown meat.

It won’t be a thing, it’s almost certainly impossible to scale bioreactors up to an industrial scale. It’s simply far easier and cheaper for animals to grow meat than it is for a machine.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2024, 02:16:05 AM »

It won’t be a thing, it’s almost certainly impossible to scale bioreactors up to an industrial scale. It’s simply far easier and cheaper for animals to grow meat than it is for a machine.

For now. We should aspire to a day when we don't have to slaughter animals anymore. I would probably eat meat more often if that was the case.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2024, 02:33:18 AM »
« Edited: May 02, 2024, 02:36:29 AM by Landslide Lyndon »

every bit as stupid as the GMO bans, and nowhere near as stupid as the Philippines banning Golden Rice last week that will lead to the deaths of thousands of children.  Thanks again Greenpeace.

Only somebody as weirdly obsessed with punching the hippies as you would link America's most fascist governor with Greenpeace.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2024, 06:11:39 AM »

every bit as stupid as the GMO bans, and nowhere near as stupid as the Philippines banning Golden Rice last week that will lead to the deaths of thousands of children.  Thanks again Greenpeace.

Only somebody as weirdly obsessed with punching the hippies as you would link America's most fascist governor with Greenpeace.
I'm not, Greenpeace, on this issue at least, is far FAR worse than DeSantis.  Children are going to die in the Philippines due to Greenpeace, nobody is going to die because of this stupid law in Florida.

And what the hell?  Punching hippies?  Obsessed with?  I'm no fan of hippies (because I'm a human with a functioning nose), but I'm much less of a fan of punching anyone (who isn't already doing violence to someone), what are you talking about?  I get that you follow my posting history better than I do, so maybe you can point this out for me.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2024, 06:16:05 AM »

I propose that politicians and business owners who support this kind of thing get put on a diet consisting exclusively of lab grown cockroach legs.

Hell yeah; feed 'em the bugs.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2024, 07:05:33 AM »

A completely asinine decision. More "freedom" from the state of Floridumb.
Ragnaroni
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.97, S: 1.74

P
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2024, 07:08:58 AM »

Ok....? Why?? I can understand requiring a label saying it's lab grown meat but let people pick their meats. I would never eat lab grown but like I don't give a damn if my neighbor does...
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2024, 07:17:05 AM »

Ok....? Why?? I can understand requiring a label saying it's lab grown meat but let people pick their meats. I would never eat lab grown but like I don't give a damn if my neighbor does...
Agreed from the other end of the spectrum. When it hits Charlotte grocery stores, I'm probably gonna make the switch, but I couldn't give less of a sh**t whether or not my neighbors are willing to do the same.

Edit: geez, I didn't realize how close this was to my last post in this thread.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2024, 07:21:33 AM »

Republicans love the free market, unless the free market does something they don’t like.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2024, 07:49:53 AM »

Republicans love the free market, unless the free market does something they don’t like.
I think they even stopped claiming to love it a few years ago, at least the Trumpy wing (which is sadly most of it these days).
Ragnaroni
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.97, S: 1.74

P
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2024, 08:23:21 AM »

Agreed from the other end of the spectrum. When it hits Charlotte grocery stores, I'm probably gonna make the switch, but I couldn't give less of a sh**t whether or not my neighbors are willing to do the same.

Edit: geez, I didn't realize how close this was to my last post in this thread.

Yeah maybe I'm out of touch or missing something but this is ridiculous...
People eat what they want
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2024, 08:42:30 AM »

People are overthinking the why. It's to protect the profits of the meat industry. The nonsense justifications come later and don't matter
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2024, 08:47:08 AM »

Republicans haven't been for free markets since Trump took the party over.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2024, 08:49:51 AM »

And I already wanted to ask whether Meatball has gone quiet after his failed WH bid.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2024, 10:08:35 AM »

Yeah maybe I'm out of touch or missing something but this is ridiculous...
People eat what they want

You’re not missing anything. Lab-grown meat is something liberals like. That is the sole reason why DeSantis is banning it. He’s the DailyWire president.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2024, 11:03:57 AM »

These are the political instincts on display of the guy who handily lost his Presidential primary. Or, as they say, of a loser. Couldn't even manage to come in 2nd place in the end.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2024, 11:05:29 AM »

Is there any scientific evidence that suggests lab grown meat is unsafe for consumption, or is this just more culture war posturing from DeSantis?

Even if there is, remember how Republicans acted when NYC banned large cups for sodas? All the "muh freedom" and all that? In my state, we made it illegal for any city or county to enact such a ban because people should have the freedom to use as large of a cup as they want for Coke or sweet tea. So for Republicans to turn around and banning artificial meat over "health concerns" would be pretty rich.

What I don't get is how this is a "culture war" thing in the first place. Lab-grown meat isn't very common among people in any political persuasion, and the only way it ever will be is if they get to the point where it's cheaper than real meat and takes identical or close to it. If that happens, people of all politics will decide to save the money and eat it.

This is much more parochial than you think. In restricting both lab-grown meat and bans on big gulps, Republicans are just trying to protect industries where they traditionally have a constituency.

This is a "culture war" issue because most people have an "ick" factor when it comes to lab-grown meats.  Only 18% of Americans say they are likely to try it. Degradation in the quality of goods has been an observed feature of post-industrial society, and Americans are right to not want that to affect their food.   
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2024, 11:08:52 AM »

What's there to challenge? Conservative judges believe that (red) states have the right to ban any and all behavior that conservatives don't like.

The sudden realization by liberals that government is not allowed to regulate food of all things appears quite ridiculous, LOL
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2024, 11:09:13 AM »

If you eat ground beef or bacon or processed chicken, then you really can't turn your nose up at lab meat.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2024, 11:09:29 AM »

For now. We should aspire to a day when we don't have to slaughter animals anymore. I would probably eat meat more often if that was the case.

Can we maybe a day scale up bioreactors to an industrial production of vat meat, maybe but I expect the technology won’t ever develop to that level. It’s easy to teach people to eat vegetables.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies