SB 2018-319: Atlasian School Safety Expansion Act (Final Vote) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 06:25:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 2018-319: Atlasian School Safety Expansion Act (Final Vote) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SB 2018-319: Atlasian School Safety Expansion Act (Final Vote)  (Read 2035 times)
Very Legal & Very Cool
RFA09

« on: October 30, 2018, 10:46:24 PM »
« edited: October 30, 2018, 11:17:35 PM by RFA09 »

I raised some concerns about this bill to a Senator and was encouraged to post them here, so hopefully my input is welcome. Smiley

I suppose there are some good things included here, such as school counselors, if that isn't already a thing. That said, not all pediatricians are properly equipped to evaluate mental health. Requiring pediatricians to work outside their abilities risks misdiagnosis among other potential problems.

Mostly, I find this bill abhorrent, misguided, and unfeasible. I don't know if Atlasia has different schools than the ones I see around the city everyday, and if so, I guess you can disregard my testimony.

I'm not sure who these security personnel are supposed to be. If they aren't cops, they're probably more similar to club bouncers. And we want them walking amonst our young with weapons?

Lapeer, MI -- A security officer at a Lapeer charter school left a firearm unattended in a school bathroom on Monday, Jan. 14, a school official said.

This sort of situation is a recipe for disaster. What good are checkpoints if the people that are supposed to be responsible are leaving weapons unattended within reach of students?

That brings me to my second point: checkpoints. Most schools have multiple entrances. Are we trying to eliminate those and force hundreds of students through a single entrance with a checkpoint and subject them to TSA-style rummaging? This wastes valuable learning time just to get students in the building, Stokes fear, presents opportunity for harassment, and perhaps most importantly, does NOT eliminate the threat if violence. Running eight year olds through a metal detector does not stop an Adam Lanza from showing up near lunch with loaded weapons and taking his pick of the litter.

Of all the major school shootings, few have been perpetrated by active students. Many come from outsiders during school hours. Think back to your elementary school or high school. Was there a chain link fence with a playground or open area? Could a violent maniac not hop the fence or shoot through the fence as children are playing? Reducing the freedoms of our students and instilling a mindset of fear and paranoia that distract from learning, while ignoring the real problem of violent maniac having access to lethal weapons is a travesty. This bill seems to do little to keep students safe, and instead looks to increase risks by making weapons more prevalent on every single campus. I implore any senator who cares about our students to vote down this bill and work to address the real problems of gun violence and mental illness in a way that puts the interests of our students ahead of the interests of the powerful gun lobby.

Thank you for your time.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies