Is Mitt Romney the Bill Clinton of the right? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 09:44:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Is Mitt Romney the Bill Clinton of the right? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is Mitt Romney the Bill Clinton of the right?  (Read 4863 times)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« on: June 16, 2012, 04:16:34 PM »

No, Bill Clinton is a leader and a man of integrity.  There should be no comparison.

"A man of integrity"? The guy had an affair while in office and then lied about it under oath and Mitt Romney can't compare to him because of his integrity?  Huh

Integrity is a wide term, not limited for private affairs.

Yeah, it means adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty. And this is used to describe... Bill Clinton of all people. Really? Really? Roll Eyes

What goes on in a politician's personal life bears no relevance to me.  And besides, Ken Starr's investigation of the scandal was far more unethical and deceptive than anything Clinton's ever said.

It may not matter to you, but it does to most Americans.  This isn't France.  What most foreigners (and quite a few American liberals, apparently) don't understand, is that in America, when you become a public official (especially as a Congressman or as the President of the United States) your life instantly comes under greater scrutiny.  You bear a greater responsibility to uphold your office in every aspect including your private life because we as citizens have higher expectations of you since you are representing us.  How you conduct your private affairs reflect on your public role.  There no line of separation between the two.  When you fall short, the consequences are that much greater.  

No it doesn't.  It only matters to right-wing media pundits who are still trying to turn it into the next Watergate.  It didn't work then, it isn't working now, and public opinion polls indicate that the public has apparently forgiven the incident.  When you're elected to public office, your responsibilities are merely to represent and govern efficiently.  Being a faithful husband is completely independent and irrelevant to those.

I don't know Scott, the fact that Clinton's affair was with an intern adds a creepy and highly inappropriate dynamic that I'm not comfortable with, and it certainly lowers my opinion of Clinton somewhat... not that it would have been especially high otherwise - I'll concede to thinking Clinton's the most overrated President in the last hundred years or so. Tongue
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 04:24:16 PM »

Did someone just say the words "Clinton" and "Principles" in the same sentence without a negative? Must be referring to George.

^ This is a good post. If Bill Clinton made a P-Funk record it would be spectacularly awful, too.

But, yeah, seriously, claiming that Bill Clinton's a "man of integrity" is pretty funny. I don't like Romney, but I'd give him the edge over Bubba on this one.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies