France: May 1968 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 12:51:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  France: May 1968 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who would you have supported?
The revolution

Charles de Gaulle

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: France: May 1968  (Read 3341 times)
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« on: April 21, 2010, 02:27:08 PM »
« edited: April 21, 2010, 02:29:19 PM by Bunoah »

Mai 68:

One side: Students, youths, women, mainly fighting for the liberalization of the society.

Other side: Workers, fighting for labor rights.

The 2 sides never joined, workers always refused, this is why a political revolution never occurred. 'Communism' was only in some rhetorics heard here or there on both sides, nothing more. Both sides won anyhow though, students, youths, women, liberalized society, it has been the way the counter-culture took France, workers won rights.

There haven't been a revolution but it remains the last one of the 'revolutionary acts' that France loves having. Something which is really part of the culture, French keep seeing them as children of 'The Revolution', something that has been constantly updated with new events since 'The Big One', and that is part of the spirit of all these strikes, strikes of workers, of students, of high-schoolers (the latter being the only ones I lived personally, well, I was happy when it occurred, I went computer at home, or cinema, or by some friends, there has been at least one high-schooler national strike on each of my 3 years of high-school, at least 3 days each I'd say, sometimes one week or a bit more iirc, funny, and all the 'strikers' where good representative of that 'revolutionary spirit' in my eyes). I also think this 'French Revolution Spirit' could be used again to create a new appealing story telling in the future, someone like Ségolène Royal wouldn't fear to do that at least I'd think, would suit with this general ambiance in Western countries of cultural conservatism and fantasies of the foundations of their culture.

In that sens I would say that France might be the only country in which an inner revolution as been successful (at least as far as I can tell, I may not be aware of some examples), it is seen as the foundation of the current culture, it has always been updated and not contested on the long term.

As to the question, heretic one to me, can't answer.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 03:49:14 PM »

Wait!

A live TV show has just been 'taken in hostage'! Well, they only irrupted on the show to speak about their movement and went off, that's all. But with streamers written...'Unemployeds Strike'! France Wink

Well, more seriously it's a movement to speak about social precariousness in general.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 12:55:00 PM »

I would've moved to a remote desert island had I lived in France at the time.

I would've been out on the streets with the Situationists and Maoist/Trotskyists youngs, trying to bring about the downfall of that nationalist douche f**k the conservatist society.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies