Working women (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 10:31:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Working women (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Working women  (Read 7018 times)
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« on: August 13, 2004, 07:54:39 PM »

In our house we did a mix. Both my wife and I have careers. During the first five years (2 and a half for our second child) I was the primary caregiver since my wife's clients required long commutes for her. I took advantage of the top-notch day care at the laboratory where I did my research and still had a lot of time for the children.

As my oldest entered elemenatry school, my wife oriented her client schedule to allow her to primarily work at home. This lined up with my move into a heavier teaching schedule and increased political activity. Both of us also recognize that a flexible work schedule has allowed us to do our work around the kids schedule, including a lot of late nights at the computer.

Without a career outlet my wife would be less happy. Without time for our children she would be much less happy. Our family works best when we work together to accomodate as many needs for each member as we can. That includes time together.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2004, 09:29:00 PM »

I strongly disagree. It shames the nation that some still believe that women have a duty to fill the offices of wife and mother.

A woman who is married and has children should fullfill the duties of wife and mother.  If not she shouldn't be married and have kids.  This doesn't mean that she can't hold these down while having a life.

I believe that what migrendel was speaking out against was the assumption that when a married couple have children, the mother must be the one who stays home to take care of the child while the father works at his job.  I completely agree with that, since the only thing that a father can't do that a mother can is feed the child breast milk.  Since most mothers don't do that anyway and since there are alternatives, there really isn't anything a mother can do that a father can't.
I fed a lot of breast milk to my children, thank you Angry. My wife and I strongly believe in its nutritional value to infants and pumps work very well. I frequently sat with a bottle of it when my wife was away with a client. One of the most tragic days was when the motor on our refigerator failed, and we lost about 15 bottles in the freezer.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2004, 11:45:40 PM »

..., since the only thing that a father can't do that a mother can is feed the child breast milk. ...
I fed a lot of breast milk to my children, thank you Angry. My wife and I strongly believe in its nutritional value to infants and pumps work very well. ...

I never said that nobody does that.  I just said that most mothers don't, which from what I've seen seems simply to be the truth.
I think you did say that, though your reply indicates that you didn't quite mean what you wrote. Be careful with absolute statements. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies