$1.5 Trillion GOP Tax Cut Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 03:37:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  $1.5 Trillion GOP Tax Cut Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: $1.5 Trillion GOP Tax Cut Thread  (Read 113191 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« on: November 18, 2017, 11:43:01 AM »

I think the fact that they included a repeal of the individual mandate is a sign they don't have the votes to pass it and are now just trying to toss in red meat.  I agree that Ron Johnson won't be the deciding vote, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Senate Republicans already think there's simply not a path to 50 votes due to the various demands of different Senators. 

I could also see Johnson deciding that the bill will probably fail anyway and coming out against it early so he's not perceived as the deciding vote.  That's why the Obamacare repeal bill hurt Heller so much, btw: he waited too long and so all the other folks who were perceived to be potential swing votes (McCain was a surprise and his vote had been taken for granted by Republicans) had already taken a position on the Obamacare repeal bill.  Thus, all eyes were on Heller and it became a lose-lose situation.  This way Johnson won't be viewed as the guy who killed the tax bill if some combination of Paul, Collins, Murkowski, McCain, Corker, and Flake come out against it. 
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 05:20:00 PM »

It would be hilarious for this bill to fail in committee

*fingers crossed*
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 03:08:03 PM »

If there’s a God, a lot of these guys are gonna burn in Hell for voting for sh!t like this despite knowing full well how many innocent lives they’re going ruin. 
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 07:06:09 PM »

I'm not going to straight up panic yet. If "the Trigger" is in the senate bill, I expect it to be removed in conference which might freak out Corker and the upcoming Byrd Bath probably endangers Murkowski's vote.  Regardless of what happens, we've got atleast another week of this crap.

Corker and everyone besides Collins and Murkowski and McCain were/are always and always will be yeses. Don't kid yourself

Kennedy might actually vote no if there is a trigger.  Honestly, he seems to be at least mildly principled by Republican standards (low as they are).
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 07:08:16 PM »

I can see Collins and either Corker or maybe Kennedy voting no but I'm unsure about where a third no could come from

McCain wouldn’t surprise me, he sounds pretty unhappy with the bill and would love to milk being the deciding vote for all the attention he can.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 03:57:28 PM »

I'll believe Corker and Flake have a pair when I see it.

What makes you guys so opposed to this but you supported bush and Reagan tax cuts?

We didn't support those either.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 05:22:48 PM »

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 09:03:40 PM »

This is FUBAR
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 03:38:17 PM »

Is there any indication at all about when the actual vote will take place? Will it be sometime today?

Hopefully there are at least 45 motions to return the bill to committee.  The longer this abomination gets delayed, the better.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 03:42:36 PM »

I'm curious.

Those of you who are against this bill, do you think the Democrats should introduce amendments like Rubio-Lee, etc. to force GOP senators to go on the record about them, or only offer motions to commit?

Both, anything that delays the vote.  I don’t care if they’re voting on tangentially related amendments this time tomorrow, the important thing is to block the bill this week.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 06:53:55 PM »

If enough Democrat Senators played the delay game regarding throwing votes in to send the bill back to committee, then we would have had a real shot at delaying the bill until McCain had to go back to Arizona continue his cancer treatments, which would have costed the Republicans a yes vote.

You do realize how underhanded the Democrats would have looked doing that, right?

And we should care about that...b/c?

Anyway too bad the Dems wussed out and stopped introducing those motions
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2017, 07:12:40 PM »

Peace for our time!
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2017, 07:18:54 PM »

No, that’s the idea.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2017, 09:42:17 PM »

They should start all introducing motions to adjourn.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2017, 11:29:28 PM »

The motion by Sen. Menendez to send the bill back to committee has failed 48-52. Now can we quit it with the motions and do actual amendments?

No, keep the motions going until folks start collapsing on the Senate floor in exhaustion!
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2017, 09:10:41 AM »

Uh oh, collins refuses to say she will support final bill. Says she has to wait and see.

wow, is she changing her mind?

Who knows what will come out of conference?

A pile of sh**t.

It will be a pile but even so, even if Collins and one more votes against the final bill out of cc, Pence will vote for it if it goes to 50/50.

I could see McCain voting no if he gets to be the last-minute deciding vote. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies