2010 Primaries Thread (It's all over now, baby blue) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 01:52:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2010 Primaries Thread (It's all over now, baby blue) (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: 2010 Primaries Thread (It's all over now, baby blue)  (Read 179744 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« on: June 22, 2010, 06:46:32 PM »

Scott 65%-35% over Strom spawn with two more precints from Berkley county this time.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 06:49:19 PM »

Johnson won another precinct in Carbarus county 75-25. The total is now 73-27 district wide for Johnston.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 06:51:53 PM »

lol!  Web Video #FAIL

Scott 65%-35% over Strom spawn with two more precints from Berkley county this time.

I'm rooting for Scott, even though that will help the national GOP, just out of basic sanity.  All of the national DC outlets referred to Scott as a "strong frontrunner" for the seat, even though his plurality wasn't that strong to begin with -- in the 30%'s right? -- and all of his opponents endorsed the racist's son.

I just hope the national GOP won't allow him to fail like Steele did talking about race issues, and that they won't think that their problems with reaching out to minorities are any less severe than they were yesterday.

I am sure that tomorrow he will be hailed as the "future of the GOP". Wink
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 06:54:06 PM »

Scott up 70-30 a bunch of Charleston came in.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 06:58:54 PM »

I voted for Scott and Haley today. I have a good feeling that at least one will win.

Where is Thurmond and Scott from county wise.

Haley is winning Charleston and Spartanburg. She is in a strong position.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 07:06:16 PM »

Dorchester is now 1/6th in and Scott is winning it 75-25. He's really beating the pants off Thurmond.

Impressive, no?

Who would have, a year ago, thought that the son of Strom could EVER be soundly beaten by a black guy in a GOP primary SC-01, especially in a case like this where all of Scott's white opponents endorsed whats-his-face-son-of-the-racist?  If post-racial politics can profoundly show up in low-turnout GOP primaries in South Carolina, our country has a promising future indeed!

Remember, Scott only got like 31% in the first round -- not really that convincing of a showing.

I wonder how long this sentiment lasts? Especially when the GOP starts hyping Scott as their Obama. Tongue Its like their fifth or sixth now I beleive.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 07:08:13 PM »

8 more precincts in Berkley Scott now is up 68-32 in Berkley County. I Think he is over 70 in three of the 6 counties.

Slight miscaluculation Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 07:11:07 PM »

Isn't it ironic that there is guy on the ballot whose name is B. Connor? lol

A Thurmond and a Connor both losing.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 07:14:37 PM »

Dorchester is now 1/6th in and Scott is winning it 75-25. He's really beating the pants off Thurmond.

Impressive, no?

Who would have, a year ago, thought that the son of Strom could EVER be soundly beaten by a black guy in a GOP primary SC-01, especially in a case like this where all of Scott's white opponents endorsed whats-his-face-son-of-the-racist?  If post-racial politics can profoundly show up in low-turnout GOP primaries in South Carolina, our country has a promising future indeed!

Remember, Scott only got like 31% in the first round -- not really that convincing of a showing.

I wonder how long this sentiment lasts? Especially when the GOP starts hyping Scott as their Obama. Tongue Its like their fifth or sixth now I beleive.

If anyone is the GOP's "next Obama" it's Marco Rubio until if/when Scott primaries Graham.

J.C. Watts didn't really help the GOP address their disconnect with black voters, as far as I know.  

BUT it's a very promising sign that the three of the GOP's current minority rising stars are taking place in places that were once possibly the center for racist politics (SC & LA).

I am sure Duke would love to have his favorite new Congressman defeat his favorite Senator in a primary. Cheesy
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 07:16:20 PM »

Big chunk o'Charleston, Scott still ahead by a ridiculous almost-3-1 margin.

Sounds like some kind of Southern dish.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 07:19:15 PM »

Bernie Reeves is losing 58-42 in NC-13; it hasn't been on anyone's radar but he did raise nearly a quarter million. So it will stay off the radar.

Isn't his opponent African American?
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 07:29:52 PM »

Apparently Congressman Henry Brown has lost his race for Berkeley County Supervisor.

Jeb Bradley anyone?
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 07:32:19 PM »

Jeb Bradley won his election to the State Senate. That's a pretty ignominious end to Brown's career.

I thought he lost.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 07:46:05 PM »

74-26 for Scott. Three Counties have him above 70%. The other two still have nothing in yet.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 07:47:54 PM »

called for Scott
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2010, 08:56:30 PM »

Oh, and black Republicans got the trifecta: Marcy won in MS-02. Not that it matters in November, of course.

You never now. Tongue Thompson could end up with $90,000 in BP bribe money. Cheesy
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010, 09:11:58 PM »

I bet the Republicans are going to take a good hard look at how well Tim Scott does among black voters in November.  If he does significantly better than other Republicans on the ballot, then if South Carolina doesn't end up with a requirement to draw two minority-majority CDs based on the 2010 census results, expect to see a Scottmander be drawn that takes in as many black voters as the GOP thinks leaves Scott with a viable district to run in.  Doubtful given our politics that Scott (or any Republican) could win a minority-majority district.

Well Steele did win 25% of the black vote in MD in 2006. I would hazard that SC blacks are far more Conservative then MD blacks. Its possible he might meet that if he tries hard enough with some potential for a higher performance, say like 40% or 50% when running for reelection down the road. Huckabee did that well among them in 2002 and even some of my black teachers in NC like Huckabee over many other Republicans which I can't understand. We'll see.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2010, 09:16:12 PM »

Some early resulst in utah, mike lee is up on 52.63% to bridgewater's 47.37%. lee is also currently leading in salt lake county.
I'm pulling for Bridgewater in this race. Utahans will be in for a surprise after this election when they'll have at least one Senator who isn't an old fart.

How old are the two candidates?
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2010, 09:29:28 PM »

The only place that would seriously cost him would be SLC and right now he is winning that.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2010, 10:22:30 PM »

Pretty much this. I've personally switched my support to Lee(although Bridgewater has the cooler last name Tongue), so the fact that he's winning thus far makes me happy, but we'll see. It'll be interesting, seeing just how split Utah's Republicans are between establishment and Tea Party.

Technically the establishment met its Waterloo in Utah at the Convention back in May.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2010, 11:54:28 PM »

AP concurs with Torie.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2010, 12:01:38 AM »

Well thats a relief considering that since Shurtleff dropped out I have been backing Lee.

Well, looks like that last minute endorsement Lee got from Ron Paul boosted him up just enough to win.

Torie, you're a clairvoyant. That was a long-ass night. Tongue

Yea it was long probably more excruciating for the candidates.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2010, 04:42:19 PM »

Well I guess I will make some predicitions for the these three since I have had some interest in them

KS GOP
Senate  - Moran by 10% or more
KS-01 - Jim Barnett
KS-02 - Lynn Jenkins
KS-03 - Kevin Yoder (A shame that Jordan dropped out)
KS-04 - Hartmen or Pompeo

KS-02 and 04 might be somewhat interesting with Tevis and Goyle as Democratic nominees in the general. Despite Moore's wife running in the third, I think the GOP is fairly strong in that race for several reasons, and as for KS-01, especially with a former statewide candidate in Barnett, its as safe as any open GOP seat could possibly be.

Michigan

Governor - GOP: Cox or Hoekstra. ( I started out with Cox but I have seen Hoekstra in interviews and I really like him. He seems better at Foriegn policy and in my opinion would be a better Senator then Governor). DEM: Mayor Bernero seems to have the upper hand. 

MI-01 - GOP: State Senator Jason Allen seems to be the strongest GOP candidate and with him as the nominee, I would say weak GOP Gain, without him, Weak to Mod Dem Hold as the rest of the GOP field is underfunded and inexperienced. DEM: State Rep. McDowell appears to be unopposed for the Dem nomination.
MI-02 - GOP: Jay Riemersma
MI-03 - GOP: State Rep Justin Amash
MI-07 - GOP: Interesting primary between former Rep. Tim Walberg and the brother of Representative Tom Rooney (R-FL), Brian Rooney. I think Rooney might be best by being a newer face. DEM: Rep. Mark Schauer
MI-09 - GOP: I think that Raczkowski will win the GOP nomination. If the GOP wave is strong enough he might pull it off but it is unlikely. He has run statewide (against Levin in 2002) and has been in the State Senate I beleive. He also is moderately well funded. DEM: Rep. Gary Peters.
MI-13 - DEM: Will Kilpatrick be sent home? One would hope. However I won't dare try to predict this one.

MO
Senate: GOP: Roy Blunt wins the primary, not confident of the margin however.

Anybody have any other ideas or opinions on these races?
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2010, 07:35:17 PM »

St. Louis County 2/610
41 1% 44 2% 187  7% 2,006 70% 63  2%

Considering Blunt is at 70% in St. Louis, I would say he is in good shape.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2010, 07:43:51 PM »

I think Snyder has this.

Why is Upton in trouble though?

Probably the same reason the strongest candidate is losing in MI-01.

Blunt looks like he has it in the bag.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies