Vote on Articles of Impeachment (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 01:50:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Vote on Articles of Impeachment (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Vote on Articles of Impeachment  (Read 5806 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« on: July 19, 2006, 05:54:23 PM »

Great metaphor.  I like how you compared voting against impeachment to setting a recently captured coldblooded murderer free on the streets.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 07:46:56 PM »

A vote legally cast by a legal Senator cannot be negated by a resignation.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=32568.msg757500#msg757500
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 05:01:58 AM »
« Edited: July 25, 2006, 05:08:24 AM by Porce »

Also, as presiding officer, I will hear any arguments on the validity of the votes of Senators Jake and Captain Vlad.

I believe that leaving office during an open vote negates any votes cast in that particular vote.  We allow a Senator who has just taken office to vote in something that opened before he took office; therefore, it follows that votes cast by someone who resigned or expelled in the middle of the vote shall no longer count.  Precedent is murky on the subject: in the thread I linked to, MAS117's "Abstain" was erased and replaced by Colin Wixted's "Nay."  However, this was allowed partially because it did not affect the end result (7 senators in favor of the amendment and 3 abstaining or against).  Had the changed vote made a difference, there is no way to tell how it would have been treated.

However, all of this becomes moot with Jesus' vote: for Article III, the vote is either 4 to 6 (with Jake) or 5 to 5 (with Captain Vlad).  (For Articles I-II, the vote is 3 to 7 and 4 to 6 respectively.)  Either the vote on Article III has failed or there is a tie, in which procedure for tiebreaking (if there is any) is unknown.  Does the Vice President cast a tiebreaking vote?  (Given the unfortunate absence of the VP, this will not work for obvious reasons.)  Does the Chief Justice cast a tiebreaking vote, as the presiding officer?  Or does a tied vote simply mean a failed vote, because impeachment requires a majority?  Personally, I think the final interpretation is correct, however I am open to other views, given the lack of experience we have with impeachment trials in Atlasia.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies