Why the UAC is a joke (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 04:58:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Why the UAC is a joke (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why the UAC is a joke  (Read 14703 times)
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« on: May 09, 2004, 11:50:43 AM »

What's the difference in the UAC and the two major parties?

The UAC, like the Democrats or the Republicans, have many centrist members, and then we have members who lean either further to the right or the left.  All parties have members ranging from different political viewpoints.  Not every member must take a 100% centrist position on every issue to qualify for the UAC, or to qualify for the other two parties.  If they did, no one would belong to any party b/c it's virtually impossible to do that.

John McCain doesn't take the same side as his own GOP on many issues, but he's still a Republican.  Zell Miller or Joe Lieberman both lean more to the right than most Democrats, and vote more in line with President Bush than their Democratic leaders would like them to, but they're still Democrats.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2004, 02:35:10 PM »

Boss... your quote is now in my siggy because I liked it so much Smiley

lol  I like your sig, verin!
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2004, 02:43:55 PM »

WildCard-Joke
GWBFan-Joke
Gore For President-Joke
ILikeVerin-Joke
.Andrew-Joke

I made the list!  Congrats also to Wildcard, Gore For President, Verin, and Andrew.  You are all really funny too, just like me, I guess.  At least we made an impression on Boss with all our jokes.

Boss, if this is a new tactic to try and court the UAC vote for the Dems this election, you're sure going about it the right way.  ::gives the thumbs up::

Oh wait.  You didn't mean you thought we were funny.  You were making fun of us.  Oh, pooh.  Sad
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2004, 09:57:34 PM »

With the new registrations, I have to move myself over into the "UAC is a joke" camp.  There is no way a political party can include both former Progressives and Brambila unless "political party" has lost all meaning.

Oh?  The real world Democrats have Zell Miller and Dennis Kucinich in the same party.  Does that mean the Democrats are a joke?  No.  It only means they have people from all different political viewpoints in the party...that's called diversity.

Sometimes just one issue will decide which party someone belongs to.  That applies here and in the real world.  There's nothing wrong w/ having former Progressives and Brambila in the same party.  Actually, I kinda like it.  Smiley
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2004, 10:47:25 PM »

Come on.  Anyone who a) writes and publishes a book about why he thinks his party is going in the wrong direction, and b) publicly states that he supports none of his parties candidates for the Presidential nomination, and instead will support the opposition- CLEARLY is not acting as a party member would be expected to.

Politicians do change ideologies, and sometimes change parties.  The Republican Senator from my state, Norm Coleman, was a Democrat when he was mayor of St. Paul, and he campaigned for President Clinton here in 1996.  He had the good sense to change over to the party which is more closely aligned with his true, or his current, ideology (and I say good riddance).  Miller may have been a Democrat at one time, and he may hold the title of Democrat currently.  My point is his ideology has changed to align with the Republicans.  No one in the party really thinks of him as a Democrat anymore.  I know I'm going to regret asking this, but exactly how did the party turn its back on Zell?  The party didn't change- Zell did.

Regardless of all of that, Zell is still a Democrat.  You can't change that fact and you can't overlook it.  And, like I said, he's in the same party as people like Kucinich and Sharpton, and John Effing Kerry.  Zell isn't the only right-leaning Democrat out there either who is in the same party with a bunch of left leaning liberals.  Yet most of them come together in election years for the good of the party.

The UAC, having members with differing political views, is no different than any real life party in that respect.

I'm sorry you believe everyone in the Atlas Democratic, Atlas Republican and UAC Parties should stand for the exact same things.  But it just doesn't work that way.  If we were all mindless drones roaming the earth, it might, but we're not, so it doesn't.  Get over it.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2004, 11:42:51 PM »

Fritz,

I've talked with Brambila and he agrees with most of our platform, just like Ilikeverin.  So perhaps there's not as much difference between them as you seem to think.

I know he's further to the right than verin is, but there's nothing at all wrong with that.  Unless he's lying (which I highly doubt) about supporting most of our platform, then he's just as centrist as the rest of us in the party - all of us in the party approve of the platform or we never would've joined up.

People here aren't that shallow to just join a party without supporting its ideals.  Besides that, one issue can make someone join one party or the other.  Take me, for example.  In real life, I'm actually pretty centrist on most issues, and even to the left on some issues.  You wanna know the *one* thing that secures my vote for the Republicans?  Abortion.  That's the reason I'm a Republican.  That's the main reason I'm voting for Bush this November (national security is another biggy).  If it wasn't for that one issue, I could (and likely would) vote Democrat.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies