People under 18 paying taxes (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:54:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  People under 18 paying taxes (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What should be done about people under 18 paying taxes, but being disfranchised?
lower the voting age

forbid enployment of people under 18

exempt people under 18 from taxes

it's fine as it is

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: People under 18 paying taxes  (Read 3478 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: June 08, 2017, 05:05:07 PM »

Absolutely.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Absurd. The job market for children is tough enough as it is. We pump out graduates with HS diplomas between the ages of 17 and 19 regularly and somehow someone's birthday decides whether they are an adult!?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 03:53:08 PM »

I don't want the voting age to be lowered because it would help the wrong side. I also don't see why a person under 18 should earn enough to have to pay taxes. You need to be in school or receive vocational training or do an internship at that age.

Even as a seventeen-year old, my paycheck had FICA deductions. I would also like to point out that several people may graduate high school at seventeen or earlier (as I did; November birthday). That said, obviously, pesky legislation barring children from work is ridiculous, and implies a serious lack of belief in people's ability to work. Teenagers may suck, but we shouldn't prevent the talented or needy from seeking employment. Childhood is mostly an invented phenomenon, no?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 09:36:08 AM »

If we based the voting age on "maturity", would even half the population ever be eligible? My general stance is that all "minimum" ages should be lowered two years (with exceptions for drinking and consent, naturally). Drinking and voting should be 16, driving should be 14, etc.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies