GOP Senator, a deficit hawk and tax reform champion: Let's Raise Rates (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 03:49:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  GOP Senator, a deficit hawk and tax reform champion: Let's Raise Rates (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: GOP Senator, a deficit hawk and tax reform champion: Let's Raise Rates  (Read 3383 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

« on: December 10, 2012, 02:42:22 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Why? What makes you think 80% is the danger zone? Danger of what? We've gone through this before Torie, and you weren't able to provide a satisfactory answer.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 02:57:31 PM »
« Edited: December 10, 2012, 03:33:28 PM by Beet »

Fair enough. At least you admit you don't know. The only place I've heard a hard cap like that is the Reinhart-Rogoff studies. They found that when debt exceeds 90 percent of GDP, economic growth tends to be slower. I don't think they made a specific prediction of a currency crisis for the U.S.

I don't predict the future either. We can only understand the mechanisms by which things might occur, not whether they will occur. I do think though, that there's at least as much chance of a crisis occurring as a result of the GOP not raising the debt limit, as there is from the U.S. debt level itself. If you read the text of S&P's 2011 downgrade of the U.S., you'll see that the main factor they cited was political dysfunction in Congress. So I'm not quite sure that I understand the logic of creating a crisis to avoid a crisis, but whatever.

Overall though, I do agree that the Democrats should agree to the type of entitlement reform that you want.

Edit: What scares me a lot more than the debt to GDP ratio is the U.S. net international investment position of -$4 trillion. In the event of a capital flight, this is going to be the number that matters more.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies