2015 Academy Awards Discussion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 12:13:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  2015 Academy Awards Discussion (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2015 Academy Awards Discussion  (Read 14121 times)
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« on: February 22, 2015, 08:24:59 PM »

As long as Boyhood doesn't win Best Picture, I'll be happy, though a win or two by Interstellar would be nice, too.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 12:06:17 AM »

Boyhood goes down hard. Woohoo.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 11:52:18 AM »

Honestly, which 2014 movies will be really remembered in ten years? Probably Interstellar, as it's one of the top movies in its genre already, but beyond that?

Birdman, Boyhood, and American Sniper are very time-specific movies, and Grand Budapest Hotel will probably blend in with Anderson's other movies. Biopics are quickly forgotten. Whiplash is a maybe, but most people don't know about it even now. Gone Girl doesn't seem like the type of movie to endure, but who knows. All the superhero movies blend together, but maybe GotG has a chance... I kind of doubt it, though. Maybe The Lego Movie? Edge of Tomorrow? I honestly don't see 2014 as a very "historic" year for movies.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 06:30:34 PM »

What genre could Interstellar be said to be 'one of the top movies' in? Certainly not sci-fi as a whole; maybe some specific type of sci-fi.

As much as I love sci-fi, it isn't exactly the "strongest" genre out there. I'd say Interstellar is a top ten, maybe top five sci-fi movie based on how "good" it is. It's my personal favorite, but I can acknowledge that 2001, for example, is "better" on the "good" scale even though it's a chore to sit through and doesn't have half the heart that Interstellar does (not to say that I don't admire 2001, though). I'd grant you a few other classic sci-fi films similarly, but not that many before the balance tips. Certainly not enough to push it out of the top ten.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies