GA SEN: Perdue plans hug Trump and appeal to suburban moderates
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 08:48:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  GA SEN: Perdue plans hug Trump and appeal to suburban moderates
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: GA SEN: Perdue plans hug Trump and appeal to suburban moderates  (Read 1103 times)
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 07, 2019, 10:11:08 PM »

Found this Politico piece on Perdue’s campaign strategy of hugging Trump and appealing to suburbanites

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/03/07/perdue-trump-battleground-state-georgia-1208769?cid=apn
Perlen vor den Schweinen
kongress
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 10:39:37 PM »

Well, supporting gay rights has become more popular in suburbs in recent years. Being open about same-sex attraction should be of no issue for anyone, even if you're a Republican Senator who supports Family Values.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 07:38:36 AM »

But Perdue dismissed Abrams as a “state personality” and a career politician, saying she’d “never had a real job that I can tell.”

ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 10:06:57 AM »

But Perdue dismissed Abrams as a “state personality” and a career politician, saying she’d “never had a real job that I can tell.”

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 05:00:27 PM »

Won't work. Can't do one without the other.

Better off just getting Raffesberger to cut down votes in key Dem areas for dumb reasons. That works wonders.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 05:21:24 PM »

Being a tax attorney and co-founding two companies is not having a job? Perdue is evil. He prayed that something to terrible to happen to Obama which should tell you all you need to know about him.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 06:22:36 PM »

Everyone knows that Those People never do an honest day's work in their lives.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 06:26:55 PM »

Abrams hasn't even announced and he's already attacking her. Scared little man.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 10:39:04 PM »

Is it bad that I actually laughed at this?
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 10:43:56 PM »

Sounds like an incumbent that's ready to blow his senate seat away.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2019, 11:24:50 PM »

Maybe it's different in the US context, but the "never had a real job" attack doesn't seem like a dog-whistle to me and is familiar as an attack by populist 'outsiders' against politicians. Still incorrect and dumb though, regardless of intent.

Anyway while Republicans seem to have this idea that suburban dissatisfaction with Trump is just because of his personality and they are supportive of his agenda, the 2018 midterms should have made them think again. Especially since Perdue isn't even going to criticize Trump on 'personality' grounds. So, since he votes with Trump 96% of the time, he's going to be tied to Trump and do badly with suburban voters. Making no effort to assert his independence and try to appeal beyond the Trump base seems unwise. Given Trump is still favored in Georgia, albeit narrowly, Perdue could hang on, and even if Trump narrowly loses(say Trump loses 49-48 to the Dem), Perdue may end up able to pull off a runoff victory(so 49-49 in the general and 51-49 in the runoff), however Perdue is unlikely to outrun Trump by much and so is vulnerable, especially if the national environment ends up favoring the Democrats.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2019, 11:50:41 PM »
« Edited: March 08, 2019, 11:55:22 PM by Beto Bro »

Maybe it's different in the US context, but the "never had a real job" attack doesn't seem like a dog-whistle to me and is familiar as an attack by populist 'outsiders' against politicians. Still incorrect and dumb though, regardless of intent.

Anyway while Republicans seem to have this idea that suburban dissatisfaction with Trump is just because of his personality and they are supportive of his agenda, the 2018 midterms should have made them think again. Especially since Perdue isn't even going to criticize Trump on 'personality' grounds. So, since he votes with Trump 96% of the time, he's going to be tied to Trump and do badly with suburban voters. Making no effort to assert his independence and try to appeal beyond the Trump base seems unwise. Given Trump is still favored in Georgia, albeit narrowly, Perdue could hang on, and even if Trump narrowly loses(say Trump loses 49-48 to the Dem), Perdue may end up able to pull off a runoff victory(so 49-49 in the general and 51-49 in the runoff), however Perdue is unlikely to outrun Trump by much and so is vulnerable, especially if the national environment ends up favoring the Democrats.
Kemp with all his shenanigans outran Karen Handel and Rob Woodall. White people in suburban Atlanta are leaving the Republican Party period. Trump may carry Georgia since he doesn't need 50 to get electoral votes but I believe the Dems will pull Perdue into a runoff and then both sides will blow their loads on the runoff when it eventually determines balance of power in the Senate.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2019, 12:33:10 AM »
« Edited: March 09, 2019, 12:42:56 AM by dotard »

Kemp with all his shenanigans outran Karen Handel and Rob Woodall. White people in suburban Atlanta are leaving the Republican Party period. Trump may carry Georgia since he doesn't need 50 to get electoral votes but I believe the Dems will pull Perdue into a runoff and then both sides will blow their loads on the runoff when it eventually determines balance of power in the Senate.

This. ^^^

Idk who wins but there’s no way it doesn’t go to a runoff and if Perdue wins , he’s the last R to win GA for quite sometime.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2019, 01:08:01 AM »

Minor quibble, but I'm pretty sure Abrams did slightly better than the Democratic Congressional nominees in GA-06 and GA-07. She won the 6th by like 2 and won the 7th by half a point IIRC

Abrams won GA-06 by 3.5% and won GA-07 by 1.4%
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2019, 01:56:24 AM »

Minor quibble, but I'm pretty sure Abrams did slightly better than the Democratic Congressional nominees in GA-06 and GA-07. She won the 6th by like 2 and won the 7th by half a point IIRC

That should have carried Bordeaux over the top, IMO.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2019, 03:15:40 AM »

Probably, but it still does go to show just how few ticket-splitters are left in the Atlanta suburbs. There really weren't that many voters splitting their tickets between Abrams and Woodall, just barely enough to let Woodall scrape by through the skin of his teeth. Contrast that to Brian Fitzpatrick winning by 2.5% in PA-01 while Wolf and Casey were romping in his district.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2019, 04:09:44 PM »

Probably, but it still does go to show just how few ticket-splitters are left in the Atlanta suburbs. There really weren't that many voters splitting their tickets between Abrams and Woodall, just barely enough to let Woodall scrape by through the skin of his teeth. Contrast that to Brian Fitzpatrick winning by 2.5% in PA-01 while Wolf and Casey were romping in his district.

This is why when GA goes, it isn't coming back.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2019, 04:11:58 PM »

Hugging Trump and appealing to suburban moderates? I don’t see how you can do both. That said, this is Safe R due to Georgia’s elections chief being extremely corrupt. Raffensperger is just as willing to purge the rolls as Kemp, and that will make the race unwinnable for Democrats.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2019, 04:30:07 PM »

Um

This is Lean R, and the Dems will invest here heavily and this is a top-tier race
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2019, 04:34:12 PM »

Hugging Trump and appealing to suburban moderates? I don’t see how you can do both. That said, this is Safe R due to Georgia’s elections chief being extremely corrupt. Raffensperger is just as willing to purge the rolls as Kemp, and that will make the race unwinnable for Democrats.

It's pretty simple, really.

1) His "hugging Trump" will consist of not ever publicly attacking or criticizing him, which will keep him in good graces and a) hopefully prevent any wasteful primary challenge and b) keep rural turnout and support at levels organically high enough to not warrant much attention campaign-wise.

2) His appealing to suburbrons will be the primary focus of his campaign, and likely where almost all of his energy is directed.

You can more or less read between the lines in that article that Perdue had disdain for Kemp's "Rural Strategy" - because while it did work, he probably genuinely believes it was the best of the worst/only option (i.e. Kemp was a bad fit for GA, and a combination of his positions and approvals made it mandatory to pretty much cede suburban GA and look for votes elsewhere), and that a better GOP candidate wouldn't have been forced to approach it from that angle. I'm sure Perdue also feels like Kemp getting the nomination screwed his re-election chances a bit because of the required suburban neglect for winning that one election.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2019, 04:43:15 PM »

Just to provide some historical/regional perspective: Perdue and Deal's combined campaign efforts in 2014 were arguably the only example in modern times of the GOP ignoring the entirety of North Georgia to focus on suburban ATL areas. The local GOP committees here couldn't even get campaign material or yard signs - in the heart of GOP territory! If you were an organizer in the area at the time, you could feel it and see it everywhere you looked.

It was the only modern cycle before or since where Democrats absolutely dominated 2-3:1 in the (usually and admittedly useless) sign game all across North Georgia and where the local, tangible Democratic efforts were more or less conducted in a vacuum without opposition; this is a huge reason why the 2010-2014 Gubernatorial and Senatorial swings were so favorable to Democrats in the non-metro north.

At any rate, I don't expect Perdue's campaign to deviate much from that, until or unless they believe that there are no gains to be made in the suburbs. They more or less ran a persuasion-based campaign in 2014 and I expect that is what will be done in 2020 as well (increasingly - though maybe not by 2020 - they won't have any other choice).
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2019, 04:49:24 PM »

At any rate, I don't expect Perdue's campaign to deviate much from that, until or unless they believe that there are no gains to be made in the suburbs. They more or less ran a persuasion-based campaign in 2014 and I expect that is what will be done in 2020 as well (increasingly - though maybe not by 2020 - they won't have any other choice).

What do you think the playbook will be for the GOP come 22 when Isakson retire and Kemp has to run again?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2019, 05:11:55 PM »
« Edited: March 09, 2019, 05:27:44 PM by GA More D Than OH »

What do you think the playbook will be for the GOP come 22 when Isakson retire and Kemp has to run again?

I suppose it depends on how well/poorly Perdue does in the suburbs, whether or not he wins re-election, and who's in the White House. It's a simple mathematical reality at this point that there isn't much more that can be squeezed out of most of rural GA (and my belief is that most of what they can squeeze out of there will come organically, with or without GOP campaign efforts there, and depends just as much on who the Democrats run). If/once you're maxed there, you have to turn to the suburbs if you want any chance of staying in the game. Kemp basically milked every drop of vote out of the southern half of the state and still only managed to avoid a humiliating runoff by 0.2 points (the fact that his opponent was a polarizing black female basically offset the lower turnout dynamic the GOP would have otherwise faced during the Trump era).

2014 really stuck out in terms of how they treated rural and suburban areas, and was arguably the first preview of a swing state future. Both Carter and Nunn were considered the first viable Democratic candidates in a long time: both the Dems and the GOP believed this, whether it ended up being true or not. As such and due to a Dem being in the WH (likely believing GOP turnout would be high regardless), the GOP really focused on persuasion to mitigate any potential worst-case scenario and cut Dems off at the pass. The difference in 2020 is that persuasion will become an absolute necessity given higher Democratic turnout and six years' worth of demographic shift.

I expect Kemp to adopt a completely different persona for re-election; he was never actually an extremist at heart (though he played one on TV) and since winning has seemingly tried to keep out of controversy. Deal wasn't exactly popular in the run-up to his re-election but managed to win given the lean of the state and the partisan climate + finished his second term out with 2:1 favorables. That's probably his '22 playbook (which will be similar to Perdue's in '20, except Kemp will want there to be a D in the White House), but a brand new candidate seeking to replace Isakson...who knows.

Of course, the flip may happen so quickly that playbooks won't even matter. It doesn't matter whether Democrats Republicans nominate a moderate or a conservative, focus on rural areas or suburban areas, or engage in turnout or persuasion in a state like VA. The first prominent GOP statewide candidate in GA to lose will also likely be the last GOP candidate to win; that's why staving off any Democratic victories in GA for as long as possible is important for the GOP, and why they have to focus on persuasion (and therefore the suburbs) above all else.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2019, 05:18:06 PM »

^^^ This more or less says it all about how Perdue and the GAGOP feel, and how they're going to approach it:

Perdue said he thinks he’ll be able to win back some of those suburban voters. He argued that Trump hardly campaigned in Georgia during the presidential race, and Brian Kemp, the GOP governor, didn’t message to them, instead focusing on rural Republican turnout after emerging late from a primary runoff. Democrats flipped one suburban Atlanta House district and only narrowly lost in a second. But Perdue plans to target suburban voters rather than just ceding them to Democrats.

“They only heard one side of this argument in ’16, and they only heard one side of the argument in ’18,” Perdue said. “They’ll hear both sides of the argument in ’20.”

“He has worked the Atlanta suburbs over his tenure and continues to work them very hard,” said GOP Rep. Rob Woodall, who is retiring next year from his suburban Atlanta district after a surprisingly narrow victory in 2018. “While the governor’s race had a Republican rural strategy, David is working in every corner of the state to make sure he’s turning out the vote.”

I'd also argue that Handel has never been the most popular GOP candidate in GA, and Woodall specifically was a lazy guy who didn't even begin campaigning in earnest until he was already in substantial danger (and I imagine a huge part of why he's dropping isn't because he thinks it's unwinnable - though it probably is - but because he's lazy and doesn't want to put in the work). Perdue would have done better than Handel, Woodall and Kemp had he been on the 2018 ballot in these places.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2019, 06:40:19 PM »

You’re right. I got it mixed up who outperformed who in those districts. The greater point remains for me though.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies