RISK Capital II: Finished! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 01:41:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  RISK Capital II: Finished! (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: RISK Capital II: Finished!  (Read 60532 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: January 21, 2007, 12:57:29 PM »

Arkansas
Mississippi
Alabama
Georgia
South Carolina
Virginia
West Virginia
Maryland
New Jersey
New York
Kansas
Wyoming
Alaska
Hawaii
Nevada
Utah
Colorado
Minnesota

That looks like it should be enough.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 04:23:14 PM »

2 each in Oregon, South Dakota, Kansas, Arkansas, Mississippi, Florida, and North Carolina
11 in Georgia

Capital in Florida
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 01:32:21 AM »

So... ummm... yeah... can I have Ernests turn if he doesn't show up soon?

It's still Lewis' turn, you know.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 01:10:15 PM »

1. Place my three reinforcements in Georgia.

2. Attack GA -> SC, moving in the minimum 3 battalions on success.

3. Attack GA -> AL moving all available battalions to AL on success.

4. Attack AL -> TN moving all but two battalions to TN on success.

5. Await further orders.

Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 04:51:00 PM »

Attack Tennesee -> Kentucky until 3 battalions are lost or Kentucky is taken, leaving 2 battallions behind in Tennessee if Kentucky is taken.  Await further orders.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 05:51:43 PM »

Yes.  I had factored that into my orders.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 06:42:01 PM »

Have Kentucky attack Ohio until it either loses any battalions or takes Ohio.

If Ohio is taken attack Michigan from Ohio.

Move 1 battalion from South Carolina to Georgia.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 09:39:27 PM »

Wow... Ernest is quite the aggressive sort.

Didn't feel like I had a choice to be anything other than aggressive.  Letting Lewis get that massive Midwest bonus is just not a good idea and I didn't see anyone else in a position to want to deny it to him just yet.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 02:55:44 PM »

I fully understand why you would attack Kentucky, although I hoped you wouldn't. Smiley But Ohio... I didn't quite get that.

To blunt the inevitable counter-offensive, that's why.  With 6 battalions (now 5) it is the logical place for you to launch your effort to retake Kentucky.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 10:02:06 PM »

Alright... finally, move one unit from Idaho into Utah and one into Nevada.

Take two from Washington and move them into Idaho.

Take three out of New Mexico into Colorado.

Take the one that is in Colorado now and move it to Nebraska.

And I'm spent.

You only get one tactical move, not one per State.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 05:32:26 PM »

Place all 6 battalions into Tennessee.

1.  Attack Tennessee -> Kentucky do or die

2. Until either Missouri has 1 or 2 battalions or Kentucky has 4 or fewer battalions attack Missouri from Kentucky.

3. If Kentucky was not taken by step 1, then attack North Carolina -> Virginia, else trade North Carolina tobacco for Virginia hams.

4. Tactical move of all but 2 battalions from Kentucky to Tennessee.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 11:54:03 PM »

Let's see here, I have 9 States and 1 region and was clearly busy attacking Lewis instead of anyone else while on the other hand Supersoulty has 13 States and 1 region and you consider me to be the threat that needs to be attacked and weakened?

That leads me to think I'd best stop worrying about Lewis and instead worry about a Western alliance of the blue and the purple.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 11:48:42 PM »

*Walks on stage*

I have come here today to address some of the charges that have been made about me and MAS by others.

First off, it is true that MAS and I do have an agreement.

And to Hell with the rest of you.

*Walks off stage*

And I expect you'll win because of it, because I certainly am not in a position to weaken you, so I'll be busy attacking MAS so as to have a hope of surviving while you take control of the Plains.  Congratulations!
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2007, 01:01:46 PM »

#2  We started off in perhaps the least desirable position of any of the players... so I think it is natural to assume we should try to improve our lot for a bit.
MAS started off in an undesirable position, but you started off in the most desirable position possible, with the only capital located in a region that has no bordering region with a capital.  That meant you would likely be able to secure your capital region without serious threat of counterattack. The person with the least desirable starting position was MHS because he is assured eternal war with Colin plus the possibility of being attacked on the flanks by either myself or Lewis.

Now, if I had done my alternate idea of where to place things at the start, all available battalions and my capital in Oregon, then you'd have reason to complain about your starting position.

Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2007, 10:59:14 PM »

Anyway... don't be incensed about the fact that I am just playing smart... which is a large part of the reason I am doing so well thus far.

Not to point out others mistakes, but Ernest should be in much better shape than he is right now.  He spent his forces on the unnecessary attack on Ohio, after he already denied Lewis the regional advantage by taking Kentucky.

Well, I made the mistake of assuming that MAS would attack you since you were the obvious threat to him as you were bigger than me and he was the closest target to you, so I spent my effort on depriving Lewis of the ability to counterattack Kentucky so as to improve my position for next turn.  There is a slight advantage to being the attacker at 3:2 than the defender after all.  And I'm not incensed at you playing smart.  I'm incensed at MAS playing dumb and myself for my dumb assumption that he would play smart.  (From my perception of tactics that is.)

His alliance with you is not going to win him the game, especially now that he'll be losing the extra 3 battalions he was getting for controlling the South.  I can't hope to take and hold Alabama and Mississippi while he's getting 3 more battalions a turn than me so next turn will see me placing 4 battalions in Tennessee and attacking Arkansas do or die so as to deny him the advantage.  So the end result is that we'll be killing each other while you march east and secure the Plains.

Thing is, that result was predictable if he attacked me. At the very least he should have attacked Lewis in Missouri instead.  That would have gained him his Risk card while honoring his NAP with you and likely without causing me to focus my attacks on him, especially if I was offered an explicit NAP as well.

Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2007, 12:36:07 AM »

[My alliance with Supersoulty has been a good one. I am not complaining about it. Perhaps attacking you in the SE might have been a mistake, but it was either that or Lewis, I thought possibly attacking and taking out Lewis' capital would stretch me too thin. If you place your reinforcements in TN and attack me at AR, chances are youll lose all batallions when I attack you from OK, and retake the South, which will essentially lose you the game on the next turn.

You presume that I still hold hope for a win.  If you and Soulty continue your alliance I have none.  If I let you keep getting a bonus for the South while I don't get one for the Southeast, I lose anyway. There's nothing to keep you from do an end run through Missouri from Oklahoma to attack me, so your point about Oklahoma is moot.  The only reason I would have to not attack you in the South would be if I had some assurance that I would be able to retake and hold the Southeast and that you would start attacking Soulty once I did retake the Southeast.  I don't see that happening as the die for this game has been cast, so the best result I foresee for myself from this game is hopefully convincing you and others that in future games of Risk, you'd best think carefully about whether attacking me is a good idea when you have other logical options.

I do agree that going for Lewis' capital would have been a stretch for you, but trying to take capitals isn't very important in the first few turns anyway.  Turn 4 when Risk cards begin to be turned in is the earliest capital taking starts to be a factor.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2007, 04:13:16 PM »

Provisional map Wink
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2007, 02:05:15 PM »

place all 3 in Tennessee, and attack Arkansas so long as I have 3 battalions to attack with.  On success await orders on how many battalions to advance with and on failure, await further orders as well.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2007, 04:31:17 PM »

Move the max 5 battalions into Arkansas, attack Louisiana until either I lose any battalions or it is taken, await further orders.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2007, 06:00:40 PM »

Attack Oklahoma from Arkansas until either I lose any battalions or Oklahoma is taken.

If Oklahoma is taken without loss, move 1 battalion back to Arkansas so they both have 2, else move 1 battalion from Kentucky to Tennessee.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2007, 06:24:53 PM »

... move 1 battalion from Kentucky to Tennessee.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2007, 07:53:22 PM »

That went a lot better than I had any right to expect.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2007, 04:07:23 PM »

I wish to thank Joe for using those dice I gave him. Wink
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2007, 01:40:54 PM »

That assumes that Soulty has a set of cards to turn in.  If he has 2 of one type and 1 of a third, he won't be able to turn in cards.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2007, 02:26:23 PM »

Actually, if Soulty gets 8 reinforcements and turns in a set cards worth 10 armies, he'll need to roll as badly as Lewis to not win this round, either by taking New Jersey and Maine or by taking Texas and Florida.  Colin should have gone for Michigan instead of the Mid-Atlantic last turn.  OTOH, if Soulty doesn't win this round and Colin has a set to turn in, he might well win, especially if Soulty expends effort in taking out Lewis instead of going for a win this round.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies