west va=still a battleground?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 03:33:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  west va=still a battleground?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: west va=still a battleground?  (Read 2195 times)
TheOldLine
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2004, 09:59:12 AM »

I think that West Virginia is finally "flipping."   Remember that the term "Solid South" once referred to the solid *Democratic* South.   Socially and Culturally, West Virginia has much more in common with States like KY and KS than any of the other Blue States.   There is a lot of Democratic inertia in West Virginia, but I think that that the State finally started voting like its cultural and social demographic in 2000 and should go for Bush again in 2004.

TheOldLine
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2004, 10:47:43 AM »

I think that West Virginia is finally "flipping."   Remember that the term "Solid South" once referred to the solid *Democratic* South.   Socially and Culturally, West Virginia has much more in common with States like KY and KS than any of the other Blue States.   There is a lot of Democratic inertia in West Virginia, but I think that that the State finally started voting like its cultural and social demographic in 2000 and should go for Bush again in 2004.

TheOldLine

Ah. Rationalism...
Empirical arguments are better IMO...
Problem with the "WV is socially conservative and should vote GOP" theory, is that the *most* socially conservative (Southern WV) area is also the most Democrat...
Culture Wars have never made much headway in WV... sure most people there can't stand organisations like NOW, but most also think that people like Falwell are irritating jerks.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2004, 12:31:48 PM »

C'mon!
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2004, 01:21:49 PM »

Then WV is like Northeast Minnesota.

Even though the people up there are basically socially conservative, they would never put up with Pat Robertson. And since the Pat Robertson wing of the GOP is in control, they're not going to vote Republican.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies