Num Excommunicated for Allowing Abortion to Save a Mother's Life. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 10:46:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Num Excommunicated for Allowing Abortion to Save a Mother's Life. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Num Excommunicated for Allowing Abortion to Save a Mother's Life.  (Read 4806 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« on: May 23, 2010, 05:53:19 PM »

Here is a bit more. A militant Catholic priest or ex priest on the Free Republic site (I know the man well, and he believes that anyone who performs an abortion should be executed, and even I think that someone who kills someone who performs an abortion should not be prosecuted, but I am not sure about the latter) has this to say:

"I wasn’t referring to guilt, but to the gravity of the sin. The gravity of the sin is the same in both cases.

You don’t seem to be familiar with the Principle of Double Effect.

It is NEVER permissible to perform/procure an abortion—for any reason whatsoever.

If a woman has a life-threatening illness, she may choose to undergo treatment for that illness, even if the treatment may have the side effect of killing an unborn child.

That is NOT an abortion.

Procuring an abortion is NEVER licit; it is always a crime; it is never permitted, not even to “save the life of the mother.”

So maybe the answer is that the mother can be treated short of an abortion with the side effect of killing the fetus (at which time I assume removing the dead fetus is OK), but if such treatment will not kill the fetus, and the only thing that will save her is an abortion, then both the fetus and the mother have to die, if that is the consequence of not having an abortion. Sometimes I just hate being a lawyer, to be honest, because I just can't help my mind spinning its tangled webs of analysis. It happens almost effortlessly these days. Maybe I need therapy.

Yeah, the Catholic Church is a big believer in the Doctrine of DE.

(Franzl, I was confused first as well but Torie thinks this other guy has this opinion, he doesn't think the opinion himself Smiley)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 02:15:10 PM »

The Doctrine of Double-effect says that it is all-right to do a small bad as an unwanted side-effect of a large good.

A classic example is a bomber dropping bombs on a war factory. He knows that civilians will die as an effect of his bombing, but he does not intend for them to die. Thus, the Doctrine of DE says it is ok.

The basic test of the doctrine is whether you would still perform the act even if the intended effect was removed (would the bomber drop the bombs even if the factory was not there). If the answer is no, then it is ok.

Personally, I think there are large complications with the doctrine if you study it closely, because you get into a lot of thorny issues.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 11:26:20 AM »

Read the thread, think a little bit and stop posting rubbish. I'm really losing my patience with you...Torie made a post about the double effect so I commented on that.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies