What should clergy wear? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 11:36:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  What should clergy wear? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What should clergy wear?
Ceremonial vestments

Formal dresses/suits and ties

Jeans and normal shirts

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: What should clergy wear?  (Read 7403 times)
useful idiot
YaBB God

« on: April 04, 2012, 07:00:09 AM »

Any of the above, depending on denomination/context/their congregation/their preference
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 04:40:16 PM »

The main thing though is that any church where the pastor is wearing a suit and tie is almost certainly a fundie one.

Not really. It largely depends on what part of the country you're in and the denominational tradition. Leaving aside the fact that you mean "conservative" when you say "fundie," rather than fundamentalist, it's not uncommon at all around here for a mainline minister to wear a suit and tie (or some kind of blazer with a tie). I have yet to walk into a Methodist service and see the pastor not wearing a suit or khaki's and a blazer (unless they're in a robe). Ditto for PCUSA (although I have less experience with them). Also I've been to one UCC service in my life and the pastor was wearing a dark suit, white shirt, and a red tie. Cooperative Baptist Fellowship pastors almost always dress up.

Actually in my experience pastors on the moderate end of the evangelical spectrum are far more likely to dress down than those in liberal churches.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies