Gender politics and liberalism (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 07:16:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Gender politics and liberalism (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gender politics and liberalism  (Read 3126 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« on: March 27, 2013, 06:41:45 AM »

So, something very interesting I noticed when I went on Facebook today -- several teenage girls who had changed their profile pictures to equal signs regarding the gay marriage decision while several teenage guys created parody equal signs and statuses about how absurd the act was. And I mean, I know these people -- generally speaking they support they same things and are rather liberal. Whereas the girls I know often do what they do under the terms of social justice, the guys support ideas under the claim of personal freedom, but are often quick to attack ideas that particularly leftist feminists throw out.

Is this a trend that could possibly fracture liberalism as a group in the future? I often find myself wondering what is going to happen when we find ourselves at odds with each other when it comes to certain ideas.

Am I just crazy in thinking about this altogether?

I think you already see the fracturing in the current liberal/conservative divide. Conservatives today are much more like the guys you describe than a European reactionary in 1830.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 01:35:55 PM »

So, something very interesting I noticed when I went on Facebook today -- several teenage girls who had changed their profile pictures to equal signs regarding the gay marriage decision while several teenage guys created parody equal signs and statuses about how absurd the act was. And I mean, I know these people -- generally speaking they support they same things and are rather liberal. Whereas the girls I know often do what they do under the terms of social justice, the guys support ideas under the claim of personal freedom, but are often quick to attack ideas that particularly leftist feminists throw out.

Is this a trend that could possibly fracture liberalism as a group in the future? I often find myself wondering what is going to happen when we find ourselves at odds with each other when it comes to certain ideas.

Am I just crazy in thinking about this altogether?

I think you already see the fracturing in the current liberal/conservative divide. Conservatives today are much more like the guys you describe than a European reactionary in 1830.
True. The traditional Conservative emphasis was on personal responsibility (duty, honor etc.), but modern Conservatives are focused on personal freedom which is basically a Liberal value.

Exactly. Even though the right wingers on this board stick together out of necessity, there is a noticeable difference between myself/TJ in Wisco and say.. Dibble or SJoyceFla.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies