Will the U.S. have another Presidential rematch in the next 50 years?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 01:26:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Will the U.S. have another Presidential rematch in the next 50 years?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: .
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 19

Author Topic: Will the U.S. have another Presidential rematch in the next 50 years?  (Read 1785 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 13, 2010, 10:12:31 PM »

For reference, the last time a rematch occured was in 1956, when Ike and Stevenson fought each other for the Presidency a second time. Previously, rematches occured in 1900 (McKinley vs. Bryan), 1892 (Cleveland vs. Harrison), 1828 (Adams vs. Jackson), and 1800 (Adams vs. Jefferson).

I'd say No.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 10:20:22 PM »

Hmm, you never know. What about 2012? I'm just saying that it doesn't seem too unlikely. I know McCain will be 76 but he doesn't appear it and is still well respected.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 10:39:07 PM »

Hmm, you never know. What about 2012? I'm just saying that it doesn't seem too unlikely. I know McCain will be 76 but he doesn't appear it and is still well respected.

McCain is too liberal for the current GOP base. He supported the bailouts.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 02:13:11 AM »

He's not too liberal anymore and has earned their respect throughout the last 2 years.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 07:55:05 AM »

He's not too liberal anymore and has earned their respect throughout the last 2 years.

The GOP base won't forgive McCain for his past. They certainly didn't forgive Trey Grayson for voting for Clinton. Besides, McCain is too old. He won't run again. Trust me on this.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 11:23:39 AM »

The GOP base won't forgive McCain for his past. They certainly didn't forgive Trey Grayson for voting for Clinton. Besides, McCain is too old. He won't run again. Trust me on this.

He may not run and it isn't likely that he will. I'm just saying he could beat Obama if the election were held now.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 08:16:34 PM »

He may not run and it isn't likely that he will. I'm just saying he could beat Obama if the election were held now.

yes but only cuz he isn't obama
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 02:25:15 AM »

maybe Hillary and Obama in 2012?
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 10:12:19 AM »

How the Fuck fudge can you predict something like that?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 12:10:20 PM »

maybe Hillary and Obama in 2012?

That doesn't count. That would be a primary rematch. I meant a general election rematch. And Hillary won't run against Obama in 2012.
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2010, 02:18:31 AM »

Losing candidates are so tarred and feathered these days that I doubt anyone could make it to a rematch.  Primary opponents would just need to recycle all the stuff from the last campaign to remind voters why the guy is a loser; no need for a opposition research team.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 06:23:18 PM »

How the Fuck fudge can you predict something like that?

I have a crystal ball.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2010, 09:55:30 PM »

Jimmy Carter is 85, yet very healthy and active. He won't run in 2012 because he's an Obamanoid, and would be 92 by 2016. I think that he would pull an Obama, but only if he ran, which he won't. Walter Mondale is 82 and pretty much retired. He will not run. This won't be a rematch because no more Reagans are politically ambitious.

Bush vs. Dukakis - 41 is generally more respected because of the damage 43 did, but Dukakis was destroyed in 1988, and would have no chance in hell.

(Hillary) Clinton vs. Bush - Easy Hillary win

(Hillary Clinton vs. Dole - Bob Dole is obviously through, and while Liddy was a great Senator, I don't think she'll be running ever, ever, ever again.

(Jeb) Bush vs. Gore - These two have alive political ambitions. Jeb may well run, but Al is dubious due to the fact that he would be 68 in 2016 and he won't run while Obama is in power. As long as there's a conservative majority on the Supreme Court, this is in the Bush court.

(Jeb) Bush vs. Kerry - In 2016, Kerry would be 73 (Bob Dole's age in 1996). Besides, after 2006 ("Halp Us, Jon Cary, We R Stuk In Irak") he's through.

Obama vs. McCain - Obama will obviously run in 2012. McCain, who will be 76 in 2012, is still very well respected, but won't be running, I think, anytime soon, for fear of a reminder of how disastrous 2008 was.

As for a rematch in the future? Who knows.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2010, 09:59:03 PM »

(Jeb) Bush vs. Gore - These two have alive political ambitions. Jeb may well run, but Al is dubious due to the fact that he would be 68 in 2016 and he won't run while Obama is in power. As long as there's a conservative majority on the Supreme Court, this is in the Bush court.

You seriously think it'll come down to another situation such as that?  If Gore were to run again, it's going to be a clear cut win either way, no recounts that would leave the nation wondering if he would become president, again.

As per a rematch later on...50 years is a long time.  I'd expect one around the 2020s or the 2030s.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2010, 10:05:55 PM »

You're over analyzing this too much. It may happen but it's much less likely than earlier in our country's history.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2010, 10:23:47 PM »
« Edited: May 15, 2011, 09:52:56 AM by feeblepizza »

You seriously think it'll come down to another situation such as that?  If Gore were to run again, it's going to be a clear cut win either way, no recounts that would leave the nation wondering if he would become president, again.

As per a rematch later on...50 years is a long time.  I'd expect one around the 2020s or the 2030s.
No, I don't seriously think that. It would be a close but decisive race, kind of like 1976. But who knows???
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2010, 05:19:05 PM »

Jimmy Carter is 85, yet very healthy and active. He won't run in 2012 because he's an Obamanoid, and would be 92 by 2016. I think that he would pull an Obama, but only if he ran, which he won't. Walter Mondale is 82 and pretty much retired. He will not run. This won't be a rematch because no more Reagans are politically ambitious.

Bush vs. Dukakis - 41 is generally more respected because of the damage 43 did, but Dukakis was destroyed in 1988, and would have no chance in hell.

(Hillary) Clinton vs. Bush - Easy Hillary win

(Hillary Clinton vs. Dole - Bob Dole is obviously through, and while Liddy was a great Senator, I don't think she'll be running ever, ever, ever again.

(Jeb) Bush vs. Kerry - In 2016, Kerry would be 73 (Bob Dole's age in 1996). Besides, after 2006 ("Halp Us, Jon Cary, We R Stuk In Irak") he's through.

Obama vs. McCain - Obama will obviously run in 2012. McCain, who will be 76 in 2012, is still very well respected, but won't be running, I think, anytime soon, for fear of a reminder of how disastrous 2008 was.

As for a rematch in the future? Who knows.

Rematches have to be between the same two candidates. An election between Jeb Bush and Al Gore is not a rematch, since the original election was between George W. Bush and Al Gore.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies