Northern Regional Committee (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 01:00:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northern Regional Committee (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Northern Regional Committee  (Read 17897 times)
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« on: May 28, 2016, 08:02:59 AM »

now that we have our officials, i'll introduce some motions:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

obviously these are drafts, feel free to discuss & submit amendments.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 11:56:36 AM »
« Edited: May 28, 2016, 11:58:10 AM by tēyōllohcuāni »

that's fair, yeah. i withdraw res. 2 and declare cinyc's amendment to res. 3 friendly.

ah right and the asterisk was meant to point to this law.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 03:24:10 PM »

i think the objections raised have been fair. abstain
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 07:24:10 AM »

can we really sustain a bicameral legislature?
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 07:57:39 AM »

can we really sustain a bicameral legislature?

I would prefer a unicameral one, but from what I've read in this thread so far it seems most wouldn't.

My ideal legislature would be a single six-member body with three being elected from single-member districts and three being elected at-large. What are everyone's thoughts on this?
not a fan of even-numbered legislatures, but i could see either a seven-member legislature (four regional, three at-large) with no governor or a five-member legislature (three regional, two at-large) with a governor.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 12:28:30 PM »

i doubt this scenario will actually happen, but it's always good to cover all your bases
Since nobody has proposed a formal bill since the rules were adopted, let me propose one:

SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 06:15:53 AM »

So to clarify what class of senators are we electing?

we have "The finisher elected first or with the most surplus shall take the longer Senate term.", doesn't that cover it?
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 05:27:28 PM »

heck nay
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 05:42:42 AM »

the current bill is fine
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 12:45:35 PM »
« Edited: June 02, 2016, 04:12:54 PM by tēyōllohcuāni »

motion to end debate and vote on this version of the bill (no changes except a one-week shift)
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 04:13:24 PM »

motion to end debate and vote on this version of the bill (no changes except a one-week shift)

accidentally clicked modify instead of quote
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2016, 05:45:52 PM »

I fixed the classes, and changed "until" October/August to "through" October/August, to make it clear that they will serve the portions of those months until we hold elections (or whatever we ultimately decide to do for regional Senators).

switching irv/stv, clarifying the amendment stuff, minor language changes
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2016, 01:51:50 AM »

evergreen - did you mean a simple majority of votes or a simple majority of those who voted on the amendments?  This matters, because there will be people who abstain or don't vote on the amendments.  There always are.  I'd propose the voters voting in the election.

a simple majority of the people who voted on the amendments, yeah.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2016, 06:20:36 PM »

bear's amendment is good.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2016, 04:10:19 AM »

aye
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2016, 06:23:01 PM »

i'd suggest we start with a principle vote between bicameral, unicameral, or modified-universal (the proposal i made in poirot's thread)
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2016, 03:08:10 PM »

^In a period of relative inactivity, I wouldn't want one or two people to be making all the decisions.

I stand by the half at-large/half districted unicameral legislature plan.
i feel that would actually be less likely in a modified-universal system where anyone can butt in than in a traditional legislature. didn't classic conservative have a long run as the only active pacific legislator or something?
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2016, 06:55:43 PM »

Perhaps some sort of combined long name that can casually be referred to as either? I recall someone else suggesting "the Northern Union of Franklin."

Really, this is probably the best compromise.

it's a bit clunky, imo. i can see "the union north" or something similar, but three components is pushing it.

anyways, in regards to cinyc's argument:
I do hope this Committee sticks with Franklin.  Anything other than just "The North."  Come on, guys...

I believe naming the region anything other than a neutral, descriptive term like North will lead to interminable fights on renaming the region something else year after year, and lead to the idiotic renaming of individual states, like in the old Midwest.  I don't want to start down that road.

is that necessarily a bad thing? it'd certainly be a driver of activity.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2016, 12:15:22 AM »

OFFICIAL BALLOT

Question 1: What should be the official name of the northern Region?
[ 3 ] The Commonwealth of Franklin
[ 2 ] The North
[ 4 ] The Northern Union of Franklin
[ 1 ] Write-in: The Union North

Question 2: What should be the system of government for the northern Region?
[   ] Executive and Legislature
[   ] Legislature only
[ 1 ] Write-in: depends on the kind of legislature
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2016, 06:01:28 PM »

i support an official nickname, but that should be a statutory matter to be decided after the constitution is ratified.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2016, 02:21:59 AM »

So, if I'm correct, these are the proposals currently on the floor:

• 5 Seats, elected at-large
  • 5 Seats, 3 from districts and 2 at-large
  • 7 Seats, 4 from districts and 3 at-large
If there are no more proposals, I will call a principle vote tomorrow evening. There will also be a principle vote on whether or not to index the number of seats to activity at that time.

May I ask who made the first and third proposals? I think a bit more debate before the principal vote would be good to help make any additional arguments for and against each of them.

I'm also not quite sure how we could vote on whether or not to index the number of seats if we've already decided how many seats there will be... Tongue

Thanks!

i propose a mixed-member system with three members elected in first-past-the-post districts and additional members added as needed to make the assembly roughly proportional

example:

district 1: lab candidate 5, fed candidate 4
district 2: lab candidate 6, fed candidate 4
district 3: lab candidate 5, fed candidate 4

would end up with three directly-elected labor representatives and two additional federalist representatives
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2016, 04:23:22 PM »

Question 1: What form should the North's legislature take:
[2] 5 seats; elected at-large
[4] 5 seats; 2 at-large and 3 regional
[3] 5 seats; 3 at-large and 2 regional
[1] 5 seats; mixed-member system with 3 First Past the Post and 2 proportional
[5] 7 seats; 4 at-large and 3 regional

Question 2: Should the North's legislature be indexed to activity:
[ x ] Yes
[    ] No
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2016, 04:53:39 PM »

i'll start writing up a draft tomorrow if nobody has any concerns, then.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2016, 05:10:37 PM »

I would like to use the opportunity to again advise the Committee and reiterate my opposition to the establishment of the Lieutenant Governor's office.

When the former Northeast Region had an Lt.G, that position was abolished because few people wanted the job and because the Lt.G had little duties besides casting tie-breaking votes.  It was almost constantly vacant and seldom needed.  As an alternative, I propose that the succession line begin with the Speaker (who should hold Wiki updating responsibilities) followed by Assembly members by seniority.  In addition, I advise a principle vote on bills only passing the Assembly if they attain a majority (3) of the entire Assembly, with abstentions and non-votes carrying the same weight as nay votes.

The Northeast ultimately made the Lt. Governor a member of the Assembly nominated by the governor.  So while we didn't have a separate Lt. Governor, we still had a Lt. Governor.  Whether we should continue that tradition or just make the speaker the next in succession and Acting Governor in case of a Leave of Absence is debatable.  One problem with making Speaker Acting Governor is that then he or she couldn't run the Assembly while acting as governor, potentially bringing debate to a halt.

I would still prefer that we just not have an Lt.G and let the Assembly elect a new Speaker, but I guess the alternative is fine, too.  Just as long as we don't have the Governor running with a pre-selected Lt.G or have them run on a separate ballot line.

I would appreciate a second for a vote on these ideas if a member finds it appropriate.

or have the most senior representative be interim speaker. there's a lot of options.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2016, 05:20:39 PM »

I would like to use the opportunity to again advise the Committee and reiterate my opposition to the establishment of the Lieutenant Governor's office.

When the former Northeast Region had an Lt.G, that position was abolished because few people wanted the job and because the Lt.G had little duties besides casting tie-breaking votes.  It was almost constantly vacant and seldom needed.  As an alternative, I propose that the succession line begin with the Speaker (who should hold Wiki updating responsibilities) followed by Assembly members by seniority.  In addition, I advise a principle vote on bills only passing the Assembly if they attain a majority (3) of the entire Assembly, with abstentions and non-votes carrying the same weight as nay votes.

The Northeast ultimately made the Lt. Governor a member of the Assembly nominated by the governor.  So while we didn't have a separate Lt. Governor, we still had a Lt. Governor.  Whether we should continue that tradition or just make the speaker the next in succession and Acting Governor in case of a Leave of Absence is debatable.  One problem with making Speaker Acting Governor is that then he or she couldn't run the Assembly while acting as governor, potentially bringing debate to a halt.

I would still prefer that we just not have an Lt.G and let the Assembly elect a new Speaker, but I guess the alternative is fine, too.  Just as long as we don't have the Governor running with a pre-selected Lt.G or have them run on a separate ballot line.

I would appreciate a second for a vote on these ideas if a member finds it appropriate.

or have the most senior representative be interim speaker. there's a lot of options.

Is that a second? Grin

sure. i, as well, am against having a separate lieutenant governor position (i've tried to abolish it before, in fact Grin).
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies