Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 10:27:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 77
Author Topic: Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 128936 times)
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #825 on: March 02, 2019, 11:21:33 PM »

Bernie got owned!

Bragging about crowd size is the equivalent of saying your penis is bigger than your opponent's.

Who the hell cares???

The man who was fighting for civil rights back at the same time that Hillary Clinton was endorsing and supporting a presidential candidate who was supported by the KKK and opposed the CRA is a bigot? K.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #826 on: March 02, 2019, 11:57:59 PM »

Imagine unironically thinking Bernie Sanders is a racist.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #827 on: March 03, 2019, 12:06:59 AM »

Shaun King's "The origin story of a political revolutionary" was pretty awesome.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #828 on: March 03, 2019, 12:13:36 AM »

Bernie got owned!

Of course, this tweet has 0 context, which I shall provide.

1. We dont actually have the crowd size yet, which is to be reported tomorrow. The number used(13K) is an estimate made by Buzzfeed. Other groups have estimated 19K, 15K, and 25K.
https://heavy.com/news/2019/03/bernie-sanders-brooklyn-rally-crowd-size-photos-how-many/

2. The rally was held after a snowstorm.

3. This is just my opinion, but it seems disingenuous to only use the population of Oakland, and then use the population for the NYC area. The bay Area has around 9 Million people.

Anyway, this is, of course, a really flawed comparison. Especially considering Sanders is hosting his rally in a state he lost in 2016, whereas Harris is holding it in her own homestate.

Zaybay does have a point with the last one. Lots of people from all over the Bay Area (population 7 million) went to Harris’ rally. And the Bay Area is literally Harris’ home base of support. New York City isn’t really that for Sanders.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #829 on: March 03, 2019, 10:37:39 AM »

LOL, Bernie supporters excusing the fact that he had a smaller crowd size despite the fact that Brooklyn has a much larger population than Oakland.

Also, the snow storm was a NOT a huge problem yesterday so don't even try to use that excuse. Bernie lost Brooklyn to Hillary in 2016 and he will lose Brooklyn again in 2020.

He should have announced in Burlington, VT.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #830 on: March 03, 2019, 10:46:11 AM »

The man who was fighting for civil rights back at the same time that Hillary Clinton was endorsing and supporting a presidential candidate who was supported by the KKK and opposed the CRA is a bigot? K.
This is such a ridiculous argument and it makes me a little pissed.

*Bernie may have marched in some protests over 50 years ago but he has barely done anything for Black people since. His record as Senator is paper thin.

*Bernie literally left Brooklyn in 1968 to live in Vermont, one of the Whitest states in the country. Meanwhile, in 1968, Hillary stopped being a Republican and became a Democrat.

*Hillary was a Republican and supported Goldwater because of her father. She basically had no control over her political views at first. However, she obviously formed her own political views and that's why she became a Democrat.

*Hillary couldn't even vote in 1964 so her "supporting" Goldwater meant nothing. Her first time voting was in 1968 and she probably voted for Hubert H. Humphrey.

*Hillary has been a Democrat for over 50 years. Meanwhile, Bernie was only a Democrat for a year and that's because he wanted to use the party to become President.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #831 on: March 03, 2019, 10:47:53 AM »

*Bernie may have marched in some protests over 50 years ago but he has barely done anything for Black people since. His record as Senator is paper thin.

*Bernie literally left Brooklyn in 1968 to live in Vermont, one of the Whitest states in the country. Meanwhile, in 1968, Hillary stopped being a Republican and became a Democrat.

*Hillary was a Republican and supported Goldwater because of her father. She basically had no control over her political views at first. However, she obviously formed her own political views and that's why she became a Democrat.

*Hillary couldn't even vote in 1964 so her "supporting" Goldwater meant nothing. Her first time voting was in 1968 and she probably voted for Hubert H. Humphrey.

*Hillary has been a Democrat for over 50 years. Meanwhile, Bernie was only a Democrat for a year and that's because he wanted to use the party to become President.
🔥🔥
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #832 on: March 03, 2019, 10:51:19 AM »

The bottom line is Bernie has made no inroads with black voters. It's just the truth.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #833 on: March 03, 2019, 11:16:45 AM »

How dare people want to live somewhere where they don't have to pay $2000/month (or equivalent in dollars of the year) for a living space of size more suited for a closet! What horrendous racism!
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #834 on: March 03, 2019, 11:49:10 AM »

1/2 of these reasons are incredibly trivial and rather dumb

1. You can comb his record, but he's pretty standard when it comes to Democrats voting on bills related to African Americans.

2. oh god. the horror. he left brooklyn for vermont. what a negative. how terrible. the horror. the horror. and while he left to go live in another state(such a sin) hillary became a democrat.

3. Fair enough

4. Fair enough, but not a fan of the assumption, too much unknown.

5. Why is this always brought up? Its extremely trivial and rather dumb. He fits exactly in the Democratic Party, he has paid his dues, hes worked with the Democrats. The fact that he doesnt wear the D label is such a non-factor. Does this mean Angus King is also not a real Democrat? Why is a person like Rouda, who was a Republican just 2 years ago, more of a Democrat than Sanders? Its basically a non-existent issue, and I have no idea why this is repeated ad nauseam when it has no effect on how he will govern.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #835 on: March 03, 2019, 12:06:43 PM »
« Edited: March 03, 2019, 03:21:16 PM by Chairman YE »

And your post is one of the most intellectually dishonest, self serving pieces of garbage I've ever seen. It's rare to see such a blatant failure to understand basic facts and events, so much so that I'm absolutely floored. You should be ashamed of yourself. Let me go ahead and break down some of the points you mention.

Bernie didn't just march in civil rights rallies, he was chairman of the Congress of Racial Equality at the University of Chicago. He facilitated its merger with the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee and personally organized and participated in sit ins. This is nothing short of revolutionary. The vast majority of White America was not willing to personally participate in marches or rallies back then, let alone engage in community leadership and activism against racism. Your casual dismissal of Sanders' civil rights record is utterly stupid. I'm really at a loss for words

Next, you claim that his record as a Senator is 'paper thin'. Hmm. First, let's analyze his record as a Representative and then move on to his time as a Senator. Here’s what the Almanac of American Politics had to say about Bernie Sanders:

The Almanac of American Politics called Sen. Bernie Sanders a “practical” and “successful legislator.” In the House, he was dubbed the “amendment king” for passing more roll-call amendments than any other member. “He accomplishes this on the one hand by being relentlessly active and on the other by using his status as an independent to form left-right coalitions,” Matt Taibbi wrote in Rolling Stone. As the veterans committee chairman, Sanders was able “to bridge Washington’s toxic partisan divide and cut one of the most significant deals in years,” Humberto Sanchez wrote for Congressional Quarterly.

This particular quote was in reference to a Veteran’s Administration compromise that Senator Sanders fought for and consistently lobbied for. Sanders is also a ranking member on the Senate Budget Committee and a Co-founder of the Progressive Caucus.

I should point out that most 2020 hopefuls have '’’’paper thin’’’’ records in the Senate, too. Kirsten Gillibrand was the primary sponsor of 23 bills that became laws, but 14 of those bills passed were motions to rename Post Offices in her district and in New York. Oftentimes, the Senate is a body where compromise and deliberation reign. Most bills that pass aren’t wide reaching changes.

Now, if we’re just going by bills cosponsored, Sanders has conspired 403, most of them centered on health (Medicare for All), social security (SS Expansion Act), or labor (Right to Work repeal). This is certainly not a paper thin record and it’s hilarious that you would argue that.

Okay, first of all, who cares? People like Tom Carper have been Democrats their entire lives. How, exactly, does this make someone more or less qualified to be President? Sanders has remained an Independent because he distrusts much of the Party’s leadership and it isn’t hard to see why. The Democratic Party is filled with a variety of different interest groups and some of those interest groups are corporations. Sanders is correct to distrust the corrosive mixture of power and wealth; I don’t see an issue with someone outside of official membership running for the nomination. Our Republican colleagues here voted for a man who was a Democrat just a decade ago!

I’m not sure that this argument matters so much anymore, but again, you’ve claimed that Sanders’s student activist was irrelevant and pointless, so…

Okay, this is perhaps the dumbest thing I’ve ever read. So, because Bernie Sanders, a young man who has just graduated from college, decided to move to Vermont, he is a racist? I don’t even know where to begin here. Are you suggesting that Sanders fled Brooklyn to escape racial minorities? If so, why the hell did he go to college in Chicago? Why would he chair CORE? Are white people inherently reactionary?

I have no idea what you're trying to say here and honestly, it’s pretty embarrassing. Hillary Clinton attended Wellesley College in Massachusetts, which is located in one of the whitest states in the country. In 1968, that school was probably 90%+ white and lacked much, if any minority presence.

What does this tell us about Hillary Clinton’s character? It tells us absolutely nothing about her nor does it make her a bad person for attending a very white school. The fact that you’re using such trivial facts about a person’s life to brand them as a closet racist is absolute garbage. Come on, dude.

I’m not going to force people to support Senator Sanders and I also acknowledge he isn’t perfect. But I swear to god, you are an absolute hack and don’t deserve to be taken seriously in any discussion. Christ almighty.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #836 on: March 03, 2019, 12:16:58 PM »

5. Why is this always brought up? Its extremely trivial and rather dumb. He fits exactly in the Democratic Party, he has paid his dues, hes worked with the Democrats. The fact that he doesnt wear the D label is such a non-factor. Does this mean Angus King is also not a real Democrat? Why is a person like Rouda, who was a Republican just 2 years ago, more of a Democrat than Sanders? Its basically a non-existent issue, and I have no idea why this is repeated ad nauseam when it has no effect on how he will govern.
Angus King and Harley Rouda were not demanding super delegates crown him the nominee on the floor of the convention after losing by 3 million voters just because.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #837 on: March 03, 2019, 12:20:15 PM »

Angus King and Harley Rouda were not demanding super delegates crown him the nominee on the floor of the convention after losing by 3 million voters just because.

Uh huh Roll Eyes

Of course, this never happened, but if you want to believe it did, then go ahead Wink. Doesnt change the facts of the situation.

Of course, if you can give me a clip of him "demanding the super delegates crown him the nominee" then I shall recant my post.

Edit: Also, this is just pretty much deflection. Sanders is as much a Democrat as Rouda, who was a Republican 2 years ago, and King, an indie for just as long as Sanders.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #838 on: March 03, 2019, 12:25:37 PM »

Rouda wasn’t a Republican 2 years ago. He did donate to Kasich but the last GOPer he voted for is Bob Dole IIRC.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #839 on: March 03, 2019, 12:38:31 PM »

Rouda wasn’t a Republican 2 years ago. He did donate to Kasich but the last GOPer he voted for is Bob Dole IIRC.

He was Registered Republican in 2016, which is kinda my point. Even though he was registered Republican, he is still as much a Democrat as, say, John Lewis, as both represent the D party and have worked with it. The fact that he was Registered R in 2016 doesnt really matter, but for Sanders, it weirdly does that hes registered Indie.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #840 on: March 03, 2019, 12:53:23 PM »

Uh huh Roll Eyes

Of course, this never happened, but if you want to believe it did, then go ahead Wink. Doesnt change the facts of the situation.

Of course, if you can give me a clip of him "demanding the super delegates crown him the nominee" then I shall recant my post.

Edit: Also, this is just pretty much deflection. Sanders is as much a Democrat as Rouda, who was a Republican 2 years ago, and King, an indie for just as long as Sanders.
I mean.... Bernie is right here acknowledging Hillary will win a majority of pledged delegates but asking the supers to overturn the will of the people. LOL.

I do believe Sanders stands with Democrats on most issues and will be infinitely better than Donald Trump. I will get behind him in the general but this is a primary and I don't want him to win. I will continue to lob what I feel are valid criticisms at him until he wins a majority of pledged delegates. Until then, I will continue speaking out.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #841 on: March 03, 2019, 12:54:25 PM »

Michael Bloomberg has never been elected as a Democrat, was elected twice as a Republican, had a Democratic opponent in all three of his elections, and has spoken at the RNC and endorsed George W. Bush and John McCain. But most Sanders haters don't seem to have a problem with him.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #842 on: March 03, 2019, 12:59:00 PM »

Michael Bloomberg has never been elected as a Democrat, was elected twice as a Republican, had a Democratic opponent in all three of his elections, and has spoken at the RNC and endorsed George W. Bush and John McCain. But most Sanders haters don't seem to have a problem with him.
He’s irrelevant and has no constituency in the Democratic Party. Why exert energy on someone who will be a big, fat loser?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #843 on: March 03, 2019, 01:38:01 PM »

He’s irrelevant and has no constituency in the Democratic Party. Why exert energy on someone who will be a big, fat loser?

He's hinted about running and I've never seen anyone scream about how he's not a Democrat. They might attack him for other reasons.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #844 on: March 03, 2019, 03:06:16 PM »
« Edited: March 03, 2019, 03:26:11 PM by Chairman YE »

How dare people want to live somewhere where they don't have to pay $2000/month (or equivalent in dollars of the year) for a living space of size more suited for a closet! What horrendous racism!

1/2 of these reasons are incredibly trivial and rather dumb

1. You can comb his record, but he's pretty standard when it comes to Democrats voting on bills related to African Americans.

2. oh god. the horror. he left brooklyn for vermont. what a negative. how terrible. the horror. the horror. and while he left to go live in another state(such a sin) hillary became a democrat.

3. Fair enough

4. Fair enough, but not a fan of the assumption, too much unknown.

And your post is one of the most intellectually dishonest, self serving pieces of garbage I've ever seen. It's rare to see such a blatant failure to understand basic facts and events, so much so that I'm absolutely floored. You should be ashamed of yourself. Let me go ahead and break down some of the points you mention.

Bernie didn't just march in civil rights rallies, he was chairman of the Congress of Racial Equality at the University of Chicago. He facilitated its merger with the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee and personally organized and participated in sit ins. This is nothing short of revolutionary. The vast majority of White America was not willing to personally participate in marches or rallies back then, let alone engage in community leadership and activism against racism. Your casual dismissal of Sanders' civil rights record is utterly stupid. I'm really at a loss for words

Next, you claim that his record as a Senator is 'paper thin'. Hmm. First, let's analyze his record as a Representative and then move on to his time as a Senator. Here’s what the Almanac of American Politics had to say about Bernie Sanders:

The Almanac of American Politics called Sen. Bernie Sanders a “practical” and “successful legislator.” In the House, he was dubbed the “amendment king” for passing more roll-call amendments than any other member. “He accomplishes this on the one hand by being relentlessly active and on the other by using his status as an independent to form left-right coalitions,” Matt Taibbi wrote in Rolling Stone. As the veterans committee chairman, Sanders was able “to bridge Washington’s toxic partisan divide and cut one of the most significant deals in years,” Humberto Sanchez wrote for Congressional Quarterly.

This particular quote was in reference to a Veteran’s Administration compromise that Senator Sanders fought for and consistently lobbied for. Sanders is also a ranking member on the Senate Budget Committee and a Co-founder of the Progressive Caucus.

I should point out that most 2020 hopefuls have '’’’paper thin’’’’ records in the Senate, too. Kirsten Gillibrand was the primary sponsor of 23 bills that became laws, but 14 of those bills passed were motions to rename Post Offices in her district and in New York. Oftentimes, the Senate is a body where compromise and deliberation reign. Most bills that pass aren’t wide reaching changes.

Now, if we’re just going by bills cosponsored, Sanders has conspired 403, most of them centered on health (Medicare for All), social security (SS Expansion Act), or labor (Right to Work repeal). This is certainly not a paper thin record and it’s hilarious that you would argue that.

Okay, first of all, who cares? People like Tom Carper have been Democrats their entire lives. How, exactly, does this make someone more or less qualified to be President? Sanders has remained an Independent because he distrusts much of the Party’s leadership and it isn’t hard to see why. The Democratic Party is filled with a variety of different interest groups and some of those interest groups are corporations. Sanders is correct to distrust the corrosive mixture of power and wealth; I don’t see an issue with someone outside of official membership running for the nomination. Our Republican colleagues here voted for a man who was a Democrat just a decade ago!

I’m not sure that this argument matters so much anymore, but again, you’ve claimed that Sanders’s student activist was irrelevant and pointless, so…

Okay, this is perhaps the dumbest thing I’ve ever read. So, because Bernie Sanders, a young man who has just graduated from college, decided to move to Vermont, he is a racist? I don’t even know where to begin here. Are you suggesting that Sanders fled Brooklyn to escape racial minorities? If so, why the hell did he go to college in Chicago? Why would he chair CORE? Are white people inherently reactionary?

I have no idea what you're trying to say here and honestly, it’s pretty embarrassing. Hillary Clinton attended Wellesley College in Massachusetts, which is located in one of the whitest states in the country. In 1968, that school was probably 90%+ white and lacked much, if any minority presence.

What does this tell us about Hillary Clinton’s character? It tells us absolutely nothing about her nor does it make her a bad person for attending a very white school. The fact that you’re using such trivial facts about a person’s life to brand them as a closet racist is absolute garbage. Come on, dude.

I’m not going to force people to support Senator Sanders and I also acknowledge he isn’t perfect. But I swear to god, you are an absolute hack and don’t deserve to be taken seriously in any discussion. Christ almighty.
I didn't say Sanders was a racist lol. Also, I don't care about Kirsten Gillibrand, Harley Rouda, Tom Carper, etc, so I don't know why they were brought up. They aren't relevant to this discussion.

Additionally, "I'm a hack" because I want an actual Democrat to win the DEMOCRATIC Presidential Primary. Wow, that's so terrible. Saying that I "don't deserve to be taken seriously in any discussion" really shows that you (Devout Centrist) needs to calm it down a bit. Just because I criticize Bernie doesn't warrant that utter nonsense of a statement. Also, you can't stop me anyways.

Anyways, Bernie's campaign will fizzle out in 2020 just like it did in 2016. However, he'll end up being in the final 3.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #845 on: March 03, 2019, 03:22:52 PM »

Additionally, "I'm a hack" because I want an actual Democrat to win the DEMOCRATIC Presidential Primary. Wow, that's so terrible. Saying that I "don't deserve to be taken seriously in any discussion" really shows that you (Devout Centrist) needs to calm it down a bit.
No, I'm asking you to defend what you wrote. You won't do that.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #846 on: March 03, 2019, 03:26:45 PM »

Additionally, "I'm a hack" because I want an actual Democrat to win the DEMOCRATIC Presidential Primary. Wow, that's so terrible. Saying that I "don't deserve to be taken seriously in any discussion" really shows that you (Devout Centrist) needs to calm it down a bit.
No, I'm asking you to defend what you wrote. You won't do that.
What needed to be "defended"? Nothing.

My comment was simply a refutation of another poster who brought up the BS argument of "Hillary was a Republican, meanwhile Bernie was being the Jewish MLK" argument. Then, you guys decided to respond with fury for no real reason.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #847 on: March 03, 2019, 08:16:40 PM »

He's hinted about running and I've never seen anyone scream about how he's not a Democrat. They might attack him for other reasons.
He is definitely more in-line with the Democratic Party than Bernie, that's for sure.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #848 on: March 03, 2019, 09:15:33 PM »

Here's a live stream of his Chicago rally: https://abc7chicago.com/politics/watch-live-bernie-sanders-holds-campaign-rally-at-navy-pier/5165284/

Does anyone know when the next big rally held by any presidential candidate?
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #849 on: March 03, 2019, 09:17:19 PM »

Here's a live stream of his Chicago rally: https://abc7chicago.com/politics/watch-live-bernie-sanders-holds-campaign-rally-at-navy-pier/5165284/

Does anyone know when the next big rally held by any presidential candidate?

I know that Sanders will be holding three more in Iowa on March 7th-9th.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 77  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies