Would fair maps in Illinois result in an indirect Republican gerrymander? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:57:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Would fair maps in Illinois result in an indirect Republican gerrymander? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Would fair maps in Illinois result in an indirect Republican gerrymander?  (Read 1150 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« on: September 04, 2016, 07:25:36 PM »
« edited: September 04, 2016, 07:27:32 PM by Virginia »

I was looking for some opinions on this:

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/8/30/1551530/-Illinois-Supreme-Court-blocks-redistricting-reform-initiative-Here-s-why-that-s-good-for-democracy

It is a long article, so here are select parts:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

What are your thoughts on this? I find myself torn as I despise gerrymandering, yet the reason I despise it is because a party can lock in majorities even when a majority, even large majorities of the state vote for the other party. In this situation, if Mr. Wolf is correct, fair maps could indirectly result in consistent Republican legislative majorities despite consistently losing the popular vote. That is not fair at all. It's like Illinois has only 2 options with the current election scheme: Democratic gerrymander or indirect Republican gerrymander.

Thoughts? What about proportional representation? And most importantly, is Madigan & friends actually going to address this? If they do not act first, "reform" will come from the people (or Rauner & friends?). Ideally, he should pushed viable reforms this cycle.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 10:12:56 PM »

A neutral map would be very unlikely to result in a Pub gerrymander in IL. VRA decisions make it impossible to pack minorities to the extent required to get a Pub win with an intentional gerrymander barring a wave election. A neutral map would obviously not do as well as an intentional Pub gerrymander, so it would be less likely to give Pubs an advantage.

Would neutral maps result in frequent situations where Republicans win a majority in one or more chambers even while losing or possibly tying the popular vote for said races? This is sort of why I wanted to ask - an "indirect gerrymander" seemed sort of extreme, but given how densely packed voters appear to be in Illinois, the idea that Republicans would have a consistent advantage and thus more frequently win large amounts of seat with comparatively less effort seemed likely based on his assertions.

So are you saying Democrats would likely retain varying levels of majorities, but possibly be more apt to lose them in bad years?

At this point, I'm rather surprised IL Democrats have not put their own initiative on the ballot. They could even delay it until 2031, while also having the amendment prohibit further initiatives from modifying the process. Yes, it is scummy, but I'm just musing here. Someone in the leadership there had to have realized by now that at some point before 2021, those groups are going to get it right and get an initiative on the ballot. I do wonder how they could be so strategically inept after all this.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 01:50:31 PM »

@muon2: Chicagoland looks like a complete and utter mess!

Anywho, thank you very much for your input. I appreciate it!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies