When the dogs won’t eat the dog food
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 07:18:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  When the dogs won’t eat the dog food
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: When the dogs won’t eat the dog food  (Read 862 times)
wan
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 29, 2012, 11:28:02 AM »

http://www.salon.com/2012/09/28/when_the_dogs_wont_eat_the_dog_food

Mitt Romney is losing not because of a bad campaign but because voters think he would make a bad president

I know, “the dogs won’t eat the dog food” is kind of a cliché, but maybe because of Mitt Romney’s Seamus I couldn’t resist it. It refers to attempts to blame marketing for a product not selling, when the problem is the product itself. Romney is the product the voters aren’t buying – the dog food, if you will. Journalists and political operatives are already engaged in a pre-mortem about Romney’s awful campaign, and what killed it: The never-ending tax controversy? Bain job-killing? His Olympics stumble? A mediocre convention? Bad judgment in slamming the president on Libya? Those remarks about the “47 percent”? Politico came out and told the truth today: “In the end, it’s Mitt.”
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 11:42:44 AM »

He is singularly unappetizing.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 12:20:52 PM »

Walsh is right.

It is hilarious watching some of these big name conservatives blame Romney's incompetence. But the problem is GOP policies. The majority of the public, quite frankly think they suck.

Romney is a horrible politician, but the bigger problem is the GOP brand.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 12:58:28 PM »
« Edited: September 29, 2012, 01:23:19 PM by Politico »

Expecting most people to want four more years of the last four years? "That old dog won't hunt!"

Romney will get an unfiltered chance to openly speak with the American people on Wednesday night, and defend himself against Obama's fear and smear in the process. The result is going to be devastating for the Obama campaign. Trust me, we've seen the last of Team Obama's time on top...
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 01:02:33 PM »

Expecting most people to want four more years of the last four years? "That dog don't hunt!"

Romney will get an unfiltered chance to openly speak with the American people on Wednesday night, and defend himself against Obama's fear and smear in the process. The result is going to be devastating for the Obama campaign. Trust me, we've seen the last of Team Obama's time on top...

rofl
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 01:40:24 PM »

Um.. aren't you forgetting your marching orders are to lower expectations, so it can seem like a 'win' when he muddles through somehow?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 01:55:30 PM »

Expecting most people to want four more years of the last four years? "That old dog won't hunt!"

Politico, you can't really say that Romney's agenda is a change when it's the agenda that the country followed from 2001-2009.  The memories of how the agenda Romney follows got us into this ditch to begin with are too fresh for that to work.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 01:56:44 PM »
« Edited: September 29, 2012, 02:08:46 PM by Politico »

Um.. aren't you forgetting your marching orders are to lower expectations, so it can seem like a 'win' when he muddles through somehow?

Look, they've created a caricature of Romney that is so far removed from reality that simply showing up and being himself will give Romney the win among most viewers. Dukakis did not lose in 1988 because of Willie Horton; he lost because his response on the death penalty question cemented the image of him as a weak, out-of-touch liberal. Romney will not live up to Democratic expectations of a monster appearing on that stage with Obama Wednesday night. He will not cement an image of himself as a monster.

Obviously Obama is going to give a lot of fancy rhetoric, coupled with fear and smear along with the blame game. Everybody knows Obama is a GREAT speaker, which was well established in 2008. That said, the fact remains that most people simply do not want four more years of the last four years. Obama and Co. are simply doing to Romney what Carter did to Reagan (i.e., painting a picture of a risky gamble who is a monster in order to divert attention away from the last four years of failure). This strategy works until people see that it's a bunch of hype and fear, which does not happen until the candidates are debating. After the strategy falls apart, the Obama campaign will be in a world of trouble. They should have waited until AFTER the debates before going all-out scorched earth on Romney, but they panicked for some reason. The only thing that could potentially save them now would be preemptive strikes upon Iran, or something of that nature, but even that is no guarantee given the fickleness of the stock market right now.

Romney is not the best speaker in the world, but people will see he is not a monster and that he is a viable alternative to Obama. That's all he needs to do in order to be considered the winner of the debates among most viewers.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 02:07:26 PM »

And if that doesn't happen Politico--if Romney struggles to change his image and a decisive percentage of viewers say Obama won the debate--what is next?

You hope for the best but prepare for the worst.  If Romney makes a big gaffe in the first debate, can he recover in just fine month?
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 02:10:39 PM »
« Edited: September 29, 2012, 02:18:43 PM by Politico »

And if that doesn't happen Politico--if Romney struggles to change his image and a decisive percentage of viewers say Obama won the debate--what is next?

You hope for the best but prepare for the worst.  If Romney makes a big gaffe in the first debate, can he recover in just fine month?

The amount of preparation that has gone into these debates is unprecedented in presidential history. You'll see. Despite Romney being a much, much weaker debater than Gingrich, they took him out with cunning efficiency after the South Carolina catastrophe (which trumps anything Romney is experiencing right now; I truly believed at one point that Gingrich was going to win the nomination in Florida). They did this with FAR LESS resources and preparation in the run-up.

Obviously Romney is not going to deliver the debate of the century, or anything exceptional for that matter (he's NOT a natural politician, as we all know), but he is going to accomplish the goal of NOT cementing the monster image being painted of him.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 02:18:06 PM »

Look, they've created a caricature of Romney that is so far removed from reality that simply showing up and being himself will give Romney the win among most viewers. Dukakis did not lose in 1988 because of Willie Horton; he lost because his response on the death penalty question cemented the image of him as a weak, out-of-touch liberal. Romney will not live up to Democratic expectations of a monster appearing on that stage with Obama Wednesday night. He will not cement an image of himself as a monster.

Obviously Obama is going to give a lot of fancy rhetoric, coupled with fear and smear along with the blame game. Everybody knows Obama is a GREAT speaker, which was well established in 2008. That said, the fact remains that most people simply do not want four more years of the last four years. Obama and Co. are simply doing to Romney what Carter did to Reagan (i.e., painting a picture of a risky gamble who is a monster in order to divert attention away from the last four years of failure). This strategy works until people see that it's a bunch of hype and fear, which does not happen until the candidates are debating. After the strategy falls apart, the Obama campaign will be in a world of trouble. They should have waited until AFTER the debates before going all-out scorched earth on Romney, but they panicked for some reason. The only thing that could potentially save them now would be preemptive strikes upon Iran, or something of that nature, but even that is no guarantee given the fickleness of the stock market right now.

Romney is not the best speaker in the world, but people will see he is not a monster and that he is a viable alternative to Obama. That's all he needs to do in order to be considered the winner of the debates among most viewers.

Mr. Politico, I knew Ronald Reagan. I heard Reagan in the 1980 debates, Ronald Reagan was a friend of mine.

Mitt Romney is no Ronald Reagan.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, 02:19:39 PM »

Mr. Politico, I knew Ronald Reagan. I heard Reagan in the 1980 debates, Ronald Reagan was a friend of mine.

Mitt Romney is no Ronald Reagan.

True, but Reagan was not the monster that Carter said he would be. The same applies to Romney with regards to the image being painted of him by Obama. That's the point.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, 02:27:27 PM »

You hope for the best but prepare for the worst.  If Romney makes a big gaffe in the first debate, can he recover in just fine month?

The amount of preparation that has gone into these debates is unprecedented in presidential history. You'll see. Despite Romney being a much, much weaker debater than Gingrich, they took him out with cunning efficiency after the South Carolina catastrophe (which trumps anything Romney is experiencing right now; I truly believed at one point that Gingrich was going to win the nomination in Florida). They did this with FAR LESS resources and preparation in the run-up.

Obviously Romney is not going to deliver the debate of the century, or anything exceptional for that matter (he's NOT a natural politician, as we all know), but he is going to accomplish the goal of NOT cementing the monster image being painted of him.

I'm not asking if you believe he will do well and change his image. I know you do. I'm asking what Plan B is if that doesn't materialize.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2012, 02:43:28 PM »

I'm not asking if you believe he will do well and change his image. I know you do. I'm asking what Plan B is if that doesn't materialize.

It's not difficult to go up on a debate stage and prove you're not the monster the Democrats are claiming you are. He will easily pull that off, and if he does anything else it will be icing on the cake, so to speak...
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2012, 02:45:21 PM »

This will be the debate within the GOP following the election, was it the candidate or the campaign?  I think in this case it was actually both.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2012, 03:25:39 PM »

Obama isn't painting an image of Romney as a monster. Romney's doing that for himself, with his own words.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2012, 03:38:32 PM »

Romney's doing that for himself, with his own words.

Well, really more of a pathetic prat than a monster.  Reagan was a monster, Romney's just a sad nincompoop.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2012, 03:44:18 PM »

I hope that Romney himself believes, as Politico does, that all he must do is prove that he is not a monster.  Given the time and energy he is devoting to debate prep, I would guess he has a more realistic view.  He knows he needs a home run, that just being good enough is not good enough.  

I'm expecting a highly polished, scripted performance, which will not be enough to change the dynamics of the race.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies