S.19.4-3: The Southern Environmental Act (Statute) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 01:58:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.19.4-3: The Southern Environmental Act (Statute) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: S.19.4-3: The Southern Environmental Act (Statute)  (Read 1876 times)
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« on: November 06, 2019, 06:51:12 PM »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/08/16/plastic-straw-alternatives-often-bad-planet-people-disabilities/1761397001/

And two of the most common straw alternatives — paper and metal — have drawn criticism for environmental experts such as Walker.

Paper straws use a lot of raw materials, and because of their single-use nature, do not lessen one's carbon footprint, Walker told USA TODAY.

Stainless steel, on the other hand, uses a fair amount of energy as well as mining resources to make.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 08:21:08 PM »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/08/16/plastic-straw-alternatives-often-bad-planet-people-disabilities/1761397001/

And two of the most common straw alternatives — paper and metal — have drawn criticism for environmental experts such as Walker.

Paper straws use a lot of raw materials, and because of their single-use nature, do not lessen one's carbon footprint, Walker told USA TODAY.

Stainless steel, on the other hand, uses a fair amount of energy as well as mining resources to make.

It's not just about straws.

Outside of production, though, plasticware contributes a second time to toxic emissions when much of it ends up burned for energy or to prevent the storage of so much plastic in landfills.

On the other hand, metal (cutlery) and glass, clay, etc (for bowls, cups, etc) alternatives are reusable, lasting a long time, and paper alternatives are biodegradable and easily renewable.

You do realize that disposable paper products (cups, plates, straws, etc) used by restaurants are not recyclable, right? And as pointed out, they do not reduce anyone's carbon footprint. A fast food restaurant also doesn't have the ability to use reusable alternatives if someone is taking something to go.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 08:30:02 PM »

Also worth pointing out that for people with disabilities, there isn't anything out there that works as well as plastic straws for those that need them.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 09:16:42 PM »

You do realize that disposable paper products (cups, plates, straws, etc) used by restaurants are not recyclable, right? And as pointed out, they do not reduce anyone's carbon footprint. A fast food restaurant also doesn't have the ability to use reusable alternatives if someone is taking something to go.
I never implied fast-food restaurants would use reusables for take-out, businesses will use reusable utensils, bowls, etc. only for dining-in (if that).

As I said before: "some businesses cannot use reusable metal utensils."

I also stressed that paper products would be disposable when I used the word biodegradable three times.

I would appreciate the Gentlelady reading my responses before commenting.

I did read your responses. However you fail to recognize that paper products need to be coated with plastic in order to actually be effective as an alternative to plastic cups, plates, straws, etc.

You also still haven't addressed the fact that those with disabilities still need to use things like plastic straws.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies