Georgia's Very Own Megathread! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 02:15:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Georgia's Very Own Megathread! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Georgia's Very Own Megathread!  (Read 317718 times)
henster
Junior Chimp

« on: February 06, 2018, 10:10:45 PM »

Its hard to root for Abrams and her identity politics driven campaign, this primary is a cautionary tale for Dems I hope this isn't whats in store for 2020.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 04:21:33 AM »

Abrams probably killed any chance of breaking thru with whites when she proposed this.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/ga-politician-stone-mountains-confederate-carvings-should-be-removed

Wanting to alter one of the most popular attraction in the state seems so stupid.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 04:24:46 PM »

Whatever happened to Thurbert Baker he was state AG and won easily statewide 3x times. He ran and lost to Barnes in the primary in 2010, but he seems like he'd be a better candidate than Abrams right now.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 09:21:52 PM »

It's interesting in the Clinton robocall she emphasizes 'Abrams with an A' twice, I guess that means the campaign is worried about voters confusing the Stacey's.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 08:55:58 PM »

All the griping about Evan's formula for winning being outdated and such. What will people say when Abrams loses by close to double digits? Dems must breakthrough with whites in order to win there's no other way.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 11:09:35 PM »

I think Abrams talking about scrubbing Stone Mountain will hurt her more than gun control. I saw how Northam really retreaded from the confederate monuments issue during the campaign. She has many flaws, the debt she has being a glaring one, idk how voters will respond to a candidate running to manage the state budget being $200K in debt.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 11:22:54 PM »

I think Abrams talking about scrubbing Stone Mountain will hurt her more than gun control. I saw how Northam really retreaded from the confederate monuments issue during the campaign. She has many flaws, the debt she has being a glaring one, idk how voters will respond to a candidate running to manage the state budget being $200K in debt.
She literally said that once. Almost a year ago. You’re reaching.

And Nathan Deal was a million dollars in debt but OK. LOL.

Said it once? That's all it takes, you know the GOP isn't going to let that go, they are going to remind every white voter that she is going to 'change our history/heritage blah blah bah'.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 08:48:17 PM »

On the bump stock Q it may just people not being familiar with the term, it was virtually unknown to the general public before Vegas. Also I wish more parties had the ability to pose ballot questions to primary voters it is a good way to gauge divisions in the party. Would have liked to see Q's on single payer, Israel, impeachment etc.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2018, 10:05:21 AM »

I had voted for Evans because I fully doubted Abrams' GOTV setup and her appeal beyond the Democratic base.  I had thought that the big uptick for Democrats in the early voting in the north Atlanta suburbs would be highly favorable for Evans.

I now realize this is not the case.  Abrams dominated throughout the state, and the primary vote between the two parties was the closest it has been in several years. 

Even though I think it will be difficult for her to win, she has the ability to make an impact on making Georgia a two-party state again.  She has to do whatever possible to make inroads in those areas that are going to be very hostile to Democrats (not to mention a black woman).  I keep bringing this up--it's the Obama strategy of having some impact on rural Iowa which allowed him to cut the expected deficits in those areas and to win the state twice in 2008 and 2012.

At the very least, it will make the downstream races very competitive--with good chances to pick up the Lieutenant Governor (perhaps the most powerful position in the state) and SOS.

Well obviously electing the moderate is the best strategy because we've seen it work well in other states. I haven't seen NC Dems talk about abandoning nominating moderates and focus exclusively on turning out blacks in order to win.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2018, 05:00:16 PM »

I don't know why people are already declaring Stacey Abrams as this amazing candidate, the ads against her haven't even started. It'll be interesting how she handles the impending attacks on her money issues and how voters react to it.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2018, 11:51:53 PM »

I just don't see her surviving the debt issue, candidates in tough states almost have to be flawless. It's something that will give a lot of voters pause no matter the explanation.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2018, 01:31:22 AM »

I just got a robopoll for the governor's race, one of the most extreme push polls I've ever taken.  I'll try to reproduce the questions as best I can recall.  This wording is close but may not be verbatim:

1. Do you approve or disapprove of the job Donald Trump is doing?

2. Are you likely or not likely to vote in the November general election?

3. Do you plan to vote for Brian Kemp, Republican, or Stacey Abrams, Democrat?

4. Brian Kemp has been a small business owner for 30 years.  In his first business he dug ditches on his own.  He understands the needs of small business owners.  Does this make you more or less likely to vote for Kemp?

5. Stacey Abrams voted for sanctuary cities that prevent almost all cooperation between law enforcement and immigration authorities.  This could allow dangerous criminals to run loose in our communities.  Does this make you more or less likely to vote for Abrams?

6. Stacey Abrams wants to raise your taxes, but she doesn't pay her own taxes.  She owes the IRS over $50,000.  Does this make you more or less likely to vote for Abrams?

7. Stacey Abrams voted to protect sex offenders.  She was one of two representatives to vote against a bill to collect DNA from convicted sex offenders.  She placed the rights of sex offenders over the safety of the community.  Does this make you more or less likely to vote for Abrams?

The rest were demographic questions.

That's the first time I'm hearing about the sex offender thing, I'm sure it'll end up in a TV ad sooner or later. I find the attacks insinuating candidate X is friendly to pedophiles/sex offenders the most repugnant.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies