Most "Progressive" POC Communities
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 12:49:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Most "Progressive" POC Communities
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Most "Progressive" POC Communities  (Read 249 times)
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 25, 2021, 08:57:37 PM »

The title explains it, but I am curious to know what others think the most "progressive" communities of color are in the United States. I was at a barbershop in Long Beach, CA today and thinking about how Long Beach is fairly progressive - in that they culturally and economically support more left-leaning policies - than other communities of color I am familiar with, but I could be wrong.

We know many communities such as South Florida, South Texas, and some rural areas of the South that are relatively conservative despite being dominated by Black or Latino populations, so I am curious where the most progressive communities are across different racial groups, especially since we now have had several Democratic primaries with clear divides along ideology.

My ideas are as follow:
Black - Oakland? Brooklyn? Maryland?
Asian - Bay Area?
Latino - Los Angeles, East LA, New Mexico, Brooklyn, Queens (Bernie supporting regions)
Native American - Dakotas, New Mexico, Arizona

Curious to hear what others think.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2021, 09:48:05 PM »
« Edited: September 25, 2021, 09:52:14 PM by Paul Bufano »

Former Atlas Poster Miles made a fairly interesting map of precinct level results around NC's Amendment 1 in 2012, which banned SSM in the state constitution. It passed and won both white and Black voters, but there was plenty of opposition too.

(This isn't pertinent, but as Miles points out pink is very closely correlated with areas which have swung to Democrats since 2012).

As you can see, opposition to Amendment 1 was concentrated in urban centers. Most strikingly, nearly all of Durham, including some overwhelmingly Black precincts. There was also strong opposition to the amendment in Black neighborhoods closer in to the urban core of most major NC cities, except Fayetteville. Opposition fades in more suburban Black communities, which voted for the amendment by and large except in Durham.

Interestingly, this urban-rural divide carries over even into some small cities, with parts of places like Lexington, Salisbury, and Plymouth voting against the amendment.

Durham being strong for the opposition is no surprise--it's a town with a left-leaning tilt regardless of race, and has a history of queer Black activism. I don't have a deep understanding of Fayetteville, but it's a place which is much more provincial than any other major NC city, with a strong military presence and little growth or change--and thus perhaps not a strong constituency for social liberalism.

HBCU precincts are all monolitihically no votes unsurprisingly--that's why the amendment likely did so poorly in Elizabeth City, in addition to the urban-rural thing (probably an influence in Salisbury too). One of the two dark blue precincts in Fayetteville is Fayetteville State.

In rural predominantly Black areas the amendment usually passed but there are some random losses in precincts here and there which suggest that rural Black support for the Amendment was weaker than rural white support.
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2021, 10:43:21 PM »

We know many communities such as South Florida, South Texas, and some rural areas of the South that are relatively conservative despite being dominated by Black or Latino populations, so I am curious where the most progressive communities are across different racial groups, especially since we now have had several Democratic primaries with clear divides along ideology.

My ideas are as follow:
Asian - Bay Area?
Latino - Los Angeles, East LA, New Mexico, Brooklyn, Queens (Bernie supporting regions)

My impression from various online communities is that the Bay Area is #1 and LAX is a very close #2 due to the influence of Hollywood and the entertainment industry at large. Although this might not apply for individual Asian subgroups.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2021, 10:45:13 PM »

My ideas are as follow:
Asian - Bay Area?

My impression from various online communities is that the Bay Area is #1 and LAX is a very close #2 due to the influence of Hollywood and the entertainment industry at large. Although this might not apply for individual Asian subgroups.

For Asians, Seattle is probably also up there.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies