CLINTON CLINCHES
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 09:13:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  CLINTON CLINCHES
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Author Topic: CLINTON CLINCHES  (Read 6084 times)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2016, 09:12:07 PM »

I hate to hit someone when they're down, but sometimes mental acrobatics can be downright impressive to watch in real time:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SandersForPresident/comments/4mwbrp/breaking_ap_declares_hillary_as_having_the/
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2016, 09:12:23 PM »

They waited until everyone voted in 2008. Hillary can't win a majority of the pledged delegates without California. The superdelegates haven't voted yet and can change their mind at any moment. Such disrespect to those of us voting tomorrow. Scum.

Roll Eyes

I don't get this line. The pledged delegates haven't voted either, but we count them. They are also (technically) allowed to change their vote.

Huh? Pledged delegates are bound to vote on the first ballot for their candidate.

"Bound" can be a squishy word, though. It is certainly not illegal to vote contrary to how you are "bound" to vote, and usually delegates are chosen for their blind loyalty much like the electoral college. But just as faithless electors are a thing, you could theoretically have faithless delegates. I don't know if it's ever happened in a meaningful way, though.

A lot of states have laws that make the pledges legally binding, and the state chairs that announce the votes at the convention could simply refuse to announce improperly cast votes, either declaring they were cast as they should have been or saying the delegates abstained. And it's not quite like the EC because the delegates are, with a few exceptions, chosen by state parties and not by the candidates themselves. That's why there are a number of delegates at the convention this year who will vote for TRUMP because of their pledge, but would vote for Cruz if they were allowed to do so.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2016, 09:14:29 PM »
« Edited: June 06, 2016, 09:17:02 PM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

They waited until everyone voted in 2008. Hillary can't win a majority of the pledged delegates without California. The superdelegates haven't voted yet and can change their mind at any moment. Such disrespect to those of us voting tomorrow. Scum.

Roll Eyes

I don't get this line. The pledged delegates haven't voted either, but we count them. They are also (technically) allowed to change their vote.

Huh? Pledged delegates are bound to vote on the first ballot for their candidate.

"Bound" can be a squishy word, though. It is certainly not illegal to vote contrary to how you are "bound" to vote, and usually delegates are chosen for their blind loyalty much like the electoral college. But just as faithless electors are a thing, you could theoretically have faithless delegates. I don't know if it's ever happened in a meaningful way, though.

Not all Presidential electors are bound, and yet most of the time, 0 out of 538 of those are faithless.

I don't know why the superdelegates didn't have the decency to wait another 26 hours and felt compelled to choose the nominee now. They are total scum of the earth.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2016, 09:15:52 PM »

Clinton should hope that the networks don't follow suit. Clinching the nomination via super delegates is bad optics for her. It looks a lot better for her to clinch by winning pledged delegates from the voters.

Exactly what I was thinking. A clinching of the nomination after winning New Jersey is a much better look and then a win in California to top it off. Now the Sanders supporters are gonna be mad that the establishment picked the nominee without letting all 50 states vote.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2016, 09:17:33 PM »

They didn't wait in 2008. Hillary had a lot more superdelegate support in 2008 than Bernie does now, so it had to go all the way until the end.

Obama waited until the last state to announce that he had enough with superdelegates. He didn't need to wait to announce.

Except Hillary didn't announce this, the AP did. If you can't tell, she wanted to declare victory tomorrow.

This is one of those situations where neither side is really happy.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #80 on: June 06, 2016, 09:19:20 PM »

They didn't wait in 2008. Hillary had a lot more superdelegate support in 2008 than Bernie does now, so it had to go all the way until the end.

Obama waited until the last state to announce that he had enough with superdelegates. He didn't need to wait to announce.

Except Hillary didn't announce this, the AP did. If you can't tell, she wanted to declare victory tomorrow.

No, I think they're hoping that this saves California for Hillary.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2016, 09:20:05 PM »

CNN has her now at 2,381 delegates.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2016, 09:21:34 PM »

The mush-mouthed prototypical angry old white man was never going to win CA jfraud. Southern Cali (the Hispanic and black communities) along with Oakland aren't as stupid as the young Berntards.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #83 on: June 06, 2016, 09:24:58 PM »

Admiral Kizaru
Political Matrix
E: -3.61, S: -3.83

« Reply #84 on: June 06, 2016, 09:29:17 PM »
« Edited: June 06, 2016, 09:31:54 PM by Admiral Kizaru »

Roll Eyes

Lolz

I can't wait to hear the collective rage from TYT about how the establishment media is conspiring to crush Bernie in California. They are going to be soooo pissed!! Smiley

LOL.

Speaking about TYT, some hilarious and ironic videos from them from this time in 2008:

Hillary says super delegates will decide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWELs8Q5TDY

"Its genuinely shocking she didn't concede tonight"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYgP78iKKGw

LMAO. The hypocrisy is magnificent from Cenk. Can't wait for the meltdowns tomorrow.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #85 on: June 06, 2016, 09:30:56 PM »

lmao
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #86 on: June 06, 2016, 09:32:46 PM »

Will Jfern finally endorse Hillary Diane Rodham Clinton?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #87 on: June 06, 2016, 09:33:58 PM »

He'll likely endorse Trump. I'm being serious.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #88 on: June 06, 2016, 09:36:01 PM »

He'll likely endorse Trump. I'm being serious.

Well, he's crazy enough to do it, probably is crying right now that his precious Bernie's campaign is DOA now.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #89 on: June 06, 2016, 09:36:08 PM »

tbh would be embarrassing if Clinton doesn't reach the pledged delegate number on her own.
That aside, great job Dems on nominating the second-most hated figure in politics rn. I'm sure that'll work out just fine.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #90 on: June 06, 2016, 09:36:38 PM »

The mush-mouthed prototypical angry old white man was never going to win CA jfraud. Southern Cali (the Hispanic and black communities) along with Oakland aren't as stupid as the young Berntards.

This kid is, I'm pretty sure, my least favorite poster in the entire forum.  I would go chill with Landslide Lyndon and JFern for 24 hours before spending ONE with this guy.

So ridiculously, irrationally venomous.  Must still be extremely butthurt over his candidate getting totally steamrolled by Trump in the primaries.  Only explanation.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #91 on: June 06, 2016, 09:36:59 PM »

The 5 Stages of Bernie's Supporters and General Election Pivoting:

1. Denial - Don't be ridiculous! This only includes superdelegates. Clinton hasn't won yet? Silly MSM.
2. Anger - Mothering MSM and their damn voter disenfranchisement. Obviously trying to rig the primary in favor of Shillary. #BernieOrBust
3. Bargaining - If Bernie wins California, then the superdelegates will be convinced to switch to him by the conventionbecausecaliforniaisthemostdivversrerectoate
4. Depression - Man, Bernie losing bums me out. Maybe I just won't vote at all. Sad
5. Acceptance - You know what, I'll just go with it. Trump's the common enemy here, right?

(I'm somewhere between stages 3 and 5, but Depression doesn't seem to fit the description.)

Hillary can wait. She's got your back regardless of what you think, say or do. ;-)
Fusionmunster

« Reply #92 on: June 06, 2016, 09:37:14 PM »

tbh would be embarrassing if Clinton doesn't reach the pledged delegate number on her own.
That aside, great job Dems on nominating the second-most hated figure in politics rn. I'm sure that'll work out just fine.

It wasn't embarrassing for Obama.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #93 on: June 06, 2016, 09:37:48 PM »

Is CNN not going to award Clinton those two remaining Supers tonight to draw this out for another day?
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #94 on: June 06, 2016, 09:40:04 PM »

It wasn't embarrassing for Obama.

Completely different situation, there's no comparing the two.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #95 on: June 06, 2016, 09:40:52 PM »

Question to everyone saying "This will depress turnout and Hillary will lose California!"

Is this why Cruz and Kasich have won everything since Indiana?
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #96 on: June 06, 2016, 09:42:41 PM »

Question to everyone saying "This will depress turnout and Hillary will lose California!"

Is this why Cruz and Kasich have won everything since Indiana?

Wouldn't a lower turnout hurt Bernie anyway? Or so goes the myth, right?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #97 on: June 06, 2016, 09:42:55 PM »

This kid is, I'm pretty sure, my least favorite poster in the entire forum.  I would go chill with Landslide Lyndon and JFern for 24 hours before spending ONE with this guy.

So ridiculously, irrationally venomous.  Must still be extremely butthurt over his candidate getting totally steamrolled by Trump in the primaries.  Only explanation.

Well I now have someone to vote for as I've said numerous times. I'm voting for Clinton, will not vote for Trump. I could not vote for Bernie. I've been rooting for Clinton since the beginning.

Keeps getting worse as more info on Bernie comes out though, you know with rage quitting on interviews from hard questions or bringing things up he doesn't want known.

I am now curious though as to how old you are though.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: June 06, 2016, 09:43:11 PM »

CNN now has her at 2,382 one more away.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #99 on: June 06, 2016, 09:52:14 PM »

The 5 Stages of Bernie's Supporters and General Election Pivoting:

1. Denial - Don't be ridiculous! This only includes superdelegates. Clinton hasn't won yet? Silly MSM.
2. Anger - Mothering MSM and their damn voter disenfranchisement. Obviously trying to rig the primary in favor of Shillary. #BernieOrBust
3. Bargaining - If Bernie wins California, then the superdelegates will be convinced to switch to him by the conventionbecausecaliforniaisthemostdivversrerectoate
4. Depression - Man, Bernie losing bums me out. Maybe I just won't vote at all. Sad
5. Acceptance - You know what, I'll just go with it. Trump's the common enemy here, right?

(I'm somewhere between stages 3 and 5, but Depression doesn't seem to fit the description.)

Sounds very accurate
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies