Genesis Prize cancels ceremony after Natalie Portman said she won’t visit Israel (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 06:42:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Genesis Prize cancels ceremony after Natalie Portman said she won’t visit Israel (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Genesis Prize cancels ceremony after Natalie Portman said she won’t visit Israel  (Read 3032 times)
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« on: April 23, 2018, 12:49:47 PM »

To be clear, there's nothing democratic or liberal about stripping someone of citizenship for voicing a rather anodyne political opinion. In my mind, there's something "anti-American" about marching in the streets with swatstikas or Confederate flags - it's nearly treasonous - but I would never support stripping neo-Nazis of citizenship, regardless of how abhorrent their views are.

If Israel desires to be seen as a cradle of liberal democracy in the Middle East, perhaps it should take seriously the idea that the freedom of expression encompasses support for BDS, explicitly anti-IDF statements and rhetoric, desire for a unified Palestine. I might understand censorship but stripping someone of citizenship or even voicing support for this crosses a red line.

Of course, this is cheap political rhetoric from a besieged government but, if this rhetoric is acceptable, that's not a great sign.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 12:56:25 PM »

What troubles me about this little episode, this minor and ultimately quite trivial affair, is that the initial reports were so completely misleading. The ethical standards for reporting on anything to do with the Israeli-Palestinian psychodrama are extremely, and I would argue irresponsibly, low.

A good example of how the West sees domestic Israeli politics, which plays into the hands of the Israeli right. The plausible explanation was always that Natalie Portman was protesting Netanyahu, not that she was supporting BDS, but it's in the interests of the Israeli right and pro-Palestinian activists to suggest otherwise. The narrative must be maintained!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies