RISK Capital I: Finished!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 10:30:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  RISK Capital I: Finished!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: RISK Capital I: Finished!  (Read 27657 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 13, 2006, 08:23:56 PM »
« edited: January 11, 2007, 09:15:29 PM by Josef Respublik »

Welcome to a new game of 'RISK Capital'!  Six generals will battle it out to out-maneuver their opponents and capture three 'capitals' while holding their own at the same time; using strategy, smarts, brute strength, and a healthy dose of 'risk'.

The six generals who will be playing in this game are: Peter Bell, Everett, Speed of Sound, Ernest, Nation and Josh22.  The winner will be permitted to stay on and defend their championship title in the next game.

There are only a few main differences between this version of RISK and the traditional version, which will be detailed below.

The map

The biggest difference is clearly the map we'll be using.  Instead of 42 territories in the world, our map is based on the 50 states of the US plus Canada and Mexico.  This difference has forced a few more rules to change; e.g. the number of initial deployments, the number and layout of the regions, etc.

The red lines signify a border that either doesn't already exist between two states, or is ambiguous.  For clarification, no border exists between Utah and New Mexico and between Arizona and Colorado (the 'Four Corners'), and there is a border between Delaware and New Jersey (check a map; it's there).

Here is the map showing the layout and value of the regions (which will be explained later):

Starting the game

The method by which the states and initial battalions will be distributed will be voted on by all players at the start of the game.  This will be explained fully in the next post.

To begin with, all players will be given 30 battalions each to deploy among their states at the start of the game.  All battalions must be deployed, and each state must contain at least 1 battalion (at all times throughout the game).

Once all battalions have been deployed, the players may select which of their states they want to be their 'capital'.  Choose wisely, because you will not be able to change it later.  That state will remain your capital even if you lose control of the state.

Taking a turn

As in the traditional game, each player's turn is divided up into three stages, which must be performed in order:

1. Reinforcements

Each player will receive a number of battalions equal to their number of states divided by three, rounded to the closest whole number.  A minimum of three battalions is granted even if that formula would equal less than three.  So, for example, if a player controls 11 states, they'll get 4 reinforcements (11/3 = 3.7).

For easy reference:

10 states or fewer = 3 reinforcements
11-13 states = 4 reinforcements
14-16 states = 5 reinforcements
17-19 states = 6 reinforcements
20-22 states = 7 reinforcements
And so on.

Players will also receive a bonus number of reinforcements if they control any of the regions as shown in the map above at this point of their turn.  The number of reinforcements they'll receive depends on which region(s) they control, and those numbers are given in the table in the map itself.

Players may also trade in any sets of cards at this point too.  Cards will be explained in more depth later.  This is the only stage of your turn in which you may trade in cards.

2. Attack

Since this is a message board based game, I've had to employ a slightly different method to ensure that attack phases are performed efficiently and as quickly as possible.  Those who played in or followed the original games I ran should be familiar with it already.

Basically, all you need to do in this stage is post how many battalions you're sending to attack a neighboring state, how many of them you're willing to risk losing before calling a retreat, and how many battalions you want to leave in that state if you conquer it.  On that last part, you'll need to leave a minimum of three battalions there; if you attacked with less than three battalions, then you'll just have to keep however many battalions you used there.

You may attack as many states as you want during this stage, or none at all if you wish.  But always remember to leave at least 1 battalion in each of your states at all times.

If you conquer at least one state during this stage, you'll receive one card.  You will not receive any more than one card per turn, unless you destroy an opponent; in which case you receive any cards they were holding as well.

The dice rolls are performed using an online random number generator, found here.  You'll just have to trust me that I'll do it fairly. Smiley

3. Tactical Move

Once you've finished your attack phase, you may perform a tactical move if you wish.  You can move as many battalions as you want from one of your states to one neighboring state (remembering to leave one battalion behind, of course).  You may only perform one tactical move each turn.

Cards

Cards work on exactly the same principle as in the traditional version.  In this version, each card contains a state seal (which represents one state on the map), and a figurine (either an infantryman, cavalry, or cannon).  There is one card for each state (i.e. 50) and two wildcards.

Once you've collected a 'set' of three cards, you may trade them in at your next turn for more reinforcements.  A set of cards can be: three infantrymen; three cavalry; three cannons; or one of each.  The values of the sets will also be voted on by the players at the start of the game, which will be explained in the next post.

On trading in your cards, you'll receive an additional 2 battalions for each card that depicts the seal of a state that you control.  Those battalions will only be placed on that particular state.

The wildcards do not represent any state, and are simply a stand-in figurine in order to make a set of three cards.

Cards are dealt randomly, and the state seal on each one will not have any deliberate connection with states you conquered during that turn.

Your cards will be sent to you by PM, and it is your responsibility to keep them secret.  I'll be keeping a record of who has what card, for organization's sake.

Capitals

As mentioned earlier, your chosen capital may not be changed during the game, even if you lose control of that state.

If any player's army is destroyed, their capital will remain.  It will still be considered one of the three opponents' capitals necessary to win.

If, at the end of a turn, one player controls their own capital and three of their opponents' capitals, they have won the game.

Canada and Mexico

The purpose of these two countries is completely surplus to the game.  Their function is purely strategic; for example, they might be used as a shortcut between two distant states (e.g. Alaska and Maine), or they might be used as a refuge out of the fray if the going gets tough.

They are initially populated by a small number of Neutral battalions.  The Neutral Army will not launch attacks or ever receive reinforcements, but will defend themselves from attack the same way that a normal player would.  Once conquered, they are treated the same way as a US state.

You will not receive a card for conquering either of these countries (even if they're controlled by a player), and they will not be included in your number of states for purposes of calculating reinforcements.  You may place reinforcements there, and launch attacks from there too.

Clarifications of rules

I've tried to make sure everything is clear here.  However, if you want me to clarify any of the above rules, I'll be happy to do so. Smiley
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 08:24:43 PM »

The first order of business is to decide on two things.

Firstly, how the states are divided among the players.  There are three choices:

1. Divided randomly
2. Players take turns claiming them one by one
3. Half the states are divided randomly, and the remaining states are divided using Option 2.

Secondly, what values the cards will have when you trade them in.  The options are:

1. Three infantrymen = 4 bonus reinforcements.  Three cavalry = 6 reinforcements.  Three cannons = 8 reinforcements.  One of each = 10 reinforcements.  This system remains the same throughout the game.

2. A sliding scale.  The first set of cards (it won't matter what set it actually is) will be worth 4 reinforcements.  The next set of cards to be traded in by any player will be worth 6 reinforcements, and so on at an increasing rate.  Once it gets to 20 reinforcements, the scale resets to 4 reinforcements for the next player.

Please send me a PM with your choices to me ASAP, and then we can begin. Smiley
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 05:59:54 PM »

what I am playing against Peter Bell

YOU MAKE ME CRY
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 01:17:14 PM »

what I am playing against Peter Bell

YOU MAKE ME CRY

Everett, please follow the instructions in Reply #1.  You're the only person left to vote, and you happen to have the deciding vote too. Tongue
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 07:53:13 PM »
« Edited: December 17, 2006, 11:55:52 AM by Joe Republic »

Okay, the votes are in, and it's been decided that the states will be divided on a 'half and half' basis (more on that in a moment), and the values of the cards will remain fixed throughout the game (i.e. 3 infantrymen = 4 reinforcements, 3 cannons = 8 reinforcements, etc.).

So, the first step before we can actually play is to work out how to distribute the states.  Half of them (...okay, 24 is close enough) have been distributed randomly, giving each of you four states each so far:

The quickest and easiest way I can think of doing this (that I can work out) is if you all rearrange the following list of available states in order of your preference:

Alabama
Alaska
Arkansas
California
Connecticut
Delaware
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kentucky
Maine
Massachusetts
Michigan
Nebraska
Nevada
New Mexico
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
Wisconsin

I'll then work through your lists player-by-player in order of turns (starting with randomly-selected Nation first), whittling down all of the preferences until all states have been claimed.  I hope that makes sense.

My advice when deciding is to think about where you want to place your capital.  Remember, you won't be able to change it's location, and it's crucial to your success that you defend it.

You can post your preference lists right here in this thread, starting now. Smiley
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 09:35:40 PM »
« Edited: December 16, 2006, 01:30:29 PM by Nation »

Nebraska
Oklahoma
Utah
Nevada
Washington
New Mexico
Iowa
California
Alaska
Texas
Arkansas
Wisconsin
Illinois

that should be enough
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2006, 10:22:05 AM »

Maine
Vermont
Massachusetts
Connecticut
Rhode Island
Pennsylvania
Michigan
Indiana
Kentucky
Illinois
Virginia
Wisconsin
Nevada
Utah
California
Arkansas
Alaska
Delaware
Iowa
Alabama
Washington
Oklahoma
Texas
New Mexico
Nebraska
South Carolina
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2006, 11:19:31 AM »

WI
MI
IA
IL
IN
TX
OK
AK
NM
CA
WA
NV
UT
NE
AK
ME
VT
PA
DE
MA
CT
VA
KY
SC
AL
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2006, 01:16:09 AM »

Oklahoma
Arkansas
Texas
New Mexico
Alabama
South Carolina
Virginia
Pennsylvania
Delaware
Kentucky
Illinois
Iowa
Indiana
Wisconsin
Michigan
Utah
Nevada
California
Alaska
Washington
Connecticut
Rhode Island and Providence Plantations
Massachusetts
Vermont
Maine
Nebraska
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2006, 08:59:13 AM »

I cannot see the map in reply 4 for some reason (I am not blocking pictures from any imageshack server). Could it somehow be relinked from another url or something.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2006, 10:59:03 AM »

I cannot see the map in reply 4 for some reason (I am not blocking pictures from any imageshack server). Could it somehow be relinked from another url or something.

For some reason, Imageshack's servers can be annoyingly sporadic.  I've switched to Photobucket for now, to see if they're any better.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2006, 12:13:39 PM »

Thanks Joe.

CA
NV
PA
DE
VT
CT
MA
RI
AR
UT
OK
TX
NM
VA
KY
IN
IL
WI
MI
NE
AK
WA
SC
AL

In the event I've missed something and it matters, please add it (them) to the bottom of the list (in alphabetical order).
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2006, 12:57:44 PM »

Okay, here's how your preferences have worked out:

Nation and Everett ran out of preferences, so I split up the remaining states randomly between them.

The next stage is now to begin deploying your 30 battalions.  As in the other games, we'll do it in groups at a time so that you can respond to your opponents' choices accordingly.  I'll make sure you'll have at least 1 battalion in each state by the next turn, so don't worry about that.  As a reminder, you won't be choosing your capitals until after the deployments are all done.

So, please send me a PM with where you want your first five battallions to be deployed.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2006, 04:35:58 PM »

Congratulations to Speed of Sound for winning the game.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2006, 05:49:00 PM »

Updated map:

Same as before, please PM me with your next five deployments. Smiley
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2006, 05:49:56 PM »

You spoke too soon; it looks like he may not know what he's doing. Tongue
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2006, 07:33:27 PM »

You spoke too soon; it looks like he may not know what he's doing. Tongue
Indeed. I play alot; I never said I was good. Tongue
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2006, 02:49:13 PM »
« Edited: December 20, 2006, 08:12:24 PM by Joe Republic »

Updated map:

Perhaps it might be quicker if you all simply post your remaining deployment orders and your capital selection here in this thread.  Being able to actually see each other's deployments serves pretty much the same function as doing it secretly in groups at a time, like now.  You'll be able to edit your posts containing your instructions, if you want to review your options after another person posts theirs'.

Peter, Everett, SoS and Ernest: you have 12 battalions left to deploy.  Nation and Josh22: you have 11 battalions left to deploy, which is different because you each have one more state than the other players.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2006, 07:24:09 PM »
« Edited: December 21, 2006, 03:22:27 PM by Sen. Ernest »

1 each to Kansas, West Virginia, and New Jersey, 9 to Alabama along with the Capital.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2006, 08:09:22 PM »

1 in MN, 2 in IA, 1 in MI, 1 in IN, 6 in WI.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2006, 05:14:50 AM »

1 in HI; 2 in MD, PA; the rest in NY
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2006, 08:36:14 AM »

3 in Maine, 3 in Mass, 3 in Vermont, 3 in Conn.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2006, 10:57:05 AM »

2 in rhode island & providence plantations
4 in utah
2 in Nebraska
3 in South Dakota

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2006, 11:41:52 AM »

Don't forget to select your capital as well.  (Thanks for doing so already, Ernest. Smiley )
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2006, 12:17:07 PM »

Place my capital in......

dun dun dun....

Maine! No way! Wink
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to: