Unlikely Obama Supporter
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 02:57:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Unlikely Obama Supporter
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Unlikely Obama Supporter  (Read 796 times)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 25, 2008, 11:50:43 AM »

Forgive me if this is old news...(I don't think it is)

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=89042123
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 11:53:52 AM »

he has seen the vision of the coming of the lord.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 12:05:46 PM »

he has seen the vision of the coming of the lord.

Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 12:14:15 PM »

I have to credit the Corner with a good riposte: Kmiec wrote an editorial defending Harriet Miers as a nominee to the Supreme Court.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 07:33:45 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This must prove that NPR believes what the rest of the leftist media believes: Obama is the second coming.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 09:05:35 AM »

This must prove that NPR believes what the rest of the leftist media believes: Obama is the second coming.

You're smart that that, Duke.  I am sure of it.

Just because NPR runs a story doesn't mean they are leftist.  NPR ran a story awhile ago about McCain gaining support among Reagan Democrats.  Does that make them rightist? 

The mainstream media is hardly leftist.  There's just no substance to that claim.  There are anecdotal examples of media bias favoring the left.  But each of those is easily countered with equally substantial anecdotes about media bias favoring the right.  (I'm not even considering openly biased media like Air America or Fox News.  Just CNN, ABC, CBS, NPR, NBC, the AP and the major dailies.)

This article is extremely instructive.

http://www.consortiumnews.com/2002/123102a.html
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 11:35:03 AM »

Just because NPR runs a story doesn't mean they are leftist.  NPR ran a story awhile ago about McCain gaining support among Reagan Democrats.  Does that make them rightist? 

The mainstream media is hardly leftist.  There's just no substance to that claim.  There are anecdotal examples of media bias favoring the left.  But each of those is easily countered with equally substantial anecdotes about media bias favoring the right.  (I'm not even considering openly biased media like Air America or Fox News.  Just CNN, ABC, CBS, NPR, NBC, the AP and the major dailies.)

No, one story alone doesn't make NPR leftist.  You need to consider their entire body of work.

Which is incredibly leftist.

But at least it's left-leaning in a responsible, informative way.  Unlike Keith Olbermann, who's just a dick.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 03:06:41 PM »

No, one story alone doesn't make NPR leftist.  You need to consider their entire body of work.

Which is incredibly leftist.

But at least it's left-leaning in a responsible, informative way.  Unlike Keith Olbermann, who's just a dick.

If you examine the entire body of NPR news, it's as centrist as it gets.  I grant, there's far too much artsy-fartsy reporting going on (much as someone in Soho might be interested in the history of African drumming, the majority of Americans are tuning out).

But for every story from a center-left or left perspective on NPR, I will see and raise you one from a center-right or right perspective.  Diane Rehm is a great example.  She'll have panelists from both the Washington Post AND the Washington Times. Morning Edition has done copius numbers of stories from Iraq highlighting the exact kind of story the administration wants publicized -- "soldiers take up collection to send Iraqi child to US for vital operation". "Iraqi cab company reopens as surge moves forward", etc.  Just because they also report every death of a US soldier and many of the deaths of Iraqi civilians doesn't make NPR biased.  It makes them balanced.

Now, I will grant -- commentators like Dan Schorr are liberal.  Juan Williams is also a commentator.  I certainly don't consider him liberal, but you might.  But commentary is not news or hard journalism. 

The local NPR affiliate is one of my best customers.  (I am a free lance reporter.)  The rubrics of reporting controversial stories are quite rigorous.  And those edicts come down from NPR Washington. 

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies