Cuba Bill (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 01:59:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Cuba Bill (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cuba Bill  (Read 5215 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« on: August 14, 2004, 02:24:11 AM »
« edited: August 14, 2004, 02:26:36 AM by Vice-President Supersoulty »

Absolutly not.

Cuba is a dictatorship with a long record of human rights abuses.  We cannot stoop to the level of dealing with the Fidel Castro's of our world, especially not when there is no vital interest to this nation.

What's more, Cuba is a direct threat to our way of life that lies just off our own shores.  I say that we open up our doors to allow for farther immigration oppertunites for people who are trying to escape that oppresive land.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2004, 01:25:57 PM »
« Edited: August 14, 2004, 01:27:13 PM by Vice-President Supersoulty »

Absolutly not.

Cuba is a dictatorship with a long record of human rights abuses.  We cannot stoop to the level of dealing with the Fidel Castro's of our world, especially not when there is no vital interest to this nation.

What's more, Cuba is a direct threat to our way of life that lies just off our own shores.  I say that we open up our doors to allow for farther immigration oppertunites for people who are trying to escape that oppresive land.

We do business in China, they have a huge record of gross human rights violations.

Having diplomatic ties with other countries is crucial when it comes to solving porblems and crisises. Look at Iran, we can't really talk with them about their nuclear program because we don't have any diplomatic ties to them, we have to go through European countries.

China is not 90 miles off our shores and I do not condone a loose business relationship with them either.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2004, 02:13:17 AM »

Absolutly not.

We do business in China, they have a huge record of gross human rights violations.

Having diplomatic ties with other countries is crucial when it comes to solving porblems and crisises. Look at Iran, we can't really talk with them about their nuclear program because we don't have any diplomatic ties to them, we have to go through European countries.

China is not 90 miles off our shores and I do not condone a loose business relationship with them either.

If it weren't for our businesses operating in China, you couldn't have typed and posted your message. (Well, my mouse and keyboard are made in China, I don't know about yours)
China or North Korea is a bigger threat to us than Cuba is, and we should deal with them first.

Last I checked, though, I own nothing manufactured in Cuba, so I fail to see your point.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2004, 02:17:42 AM »

We can make that electronics crap in Indonesia just as easily as China.

Well then why don't we? Why don't the wonderful big businesses do that?

What are you talking about, wonderful big businesses?

All I'm saying is that we don't need trade with China to make computer equipment.  We can make in Indonesia, India, and a ton of other places.  I don't think your comment addresses that point.

You said we need trade with China, and your evidence was that that's where a lot of electronics gear is made.  If we can make that stuff in any of 20 other countries, your point isn't so convincing, is it?

I was being sarcastic, about the wonderful business.

If you are pro-business, as most Republicans/Conservatives are, you most realize that businesses have a great opportunity to succeed in the Chinese market, both as retailers and as employers, so if you wanted to help business, you would let them operate in China. Supersoutly had said he does not condone us having a loose business relationship with China, so i was responding to that.

The key word is loose that doesn't mean that I don't favor not having any trade, just more restrictions and keeping a watchful eye on the actions of the Chinese government.  Personally, I think trade with China is benefiting human rights there, because the special situation with Hong Kong is cause innumerable problems for the ChiCom government.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004, 02:26:57 PM »

We currently have:

2 Yeas

3 Nays
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies