GA-SEN 2020 Class III Megathread: She Who Loeffs Last
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 04:37:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  GA-SEN 2020 Class III Megathread: She Who Loeffs Last
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 42
Poll
Question: Who will Brian Kemp appoint as Johnny Isakson’s successor?
Nathan Deal

Casey Cagle

Geoff Duncan

Brad Raffensperger

Chris Carr

Karen Handel

Rob Woodall

Doug Collins

Austin Scott

Drew Ferguson

Nick Ayers

Buddy Carter

Barry Loudermilk

Tom Price

Newt Gingrich

Jody Hice

Saxby Chambliss

Hunter Hill

Rick Allen

Brian Kemp

Tom Graves

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 117

Author Topic: GA-SEN 2020 Class III Megathread: She Who Loeffs Last  (Read 81357 times)
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: September 05, 2019, 04:26:58 PM »

Bad decision for McBath if true. She's WAY more likely to win re-election to GA-06 than to win statewide in an open senate seat. Also increases Republican odds in the 6th.

I wouldn't go that far. GA-06 fits the profile of a district that will move towards the Democrats next year. If the Senate/Presidential races are in any way competitive in Georgia next year, the Democratic nominees should provide sufficient coattails for the GA-06 Dem.

At the very least, McBath is definitely one of the better recruits for this race. She could probably come the closest to replicating the Abrams coalition, and her gun control message is also one that could resonate with a lot of voters - both African-Americans as well as some whites in the Atlanta metro. Also, I think if she were to enter other prospective Democrats would not run in deference to her - this is important because the Democrats would need to consolidate around one candidate if they want any chance to win the special on election night.

Yeah, but this message won't resonate outside of the Atlanta metro area and she will get absolutely trounced in small towns

She doesn't need those voters. They are already very conservative and the outstate region is only making up a smaller share of Georgia's electorate over time.

Abrams also got trounced in those areas and still managed to lose by only 1%.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #151 on: September 05, 2019, 04:29:33 PM »

Pulling a Jacky Rosen actually isn't a bad idea. McBath represents a swing district so she has already managed to win voters that are necessary to win statewide and she can easily raise money. GA-6 is probably not going to get anymore favorable to Republicans so Democrats have a good chance at maintaining it. An open seat and only needing to find about 55-60k votes to win the race makes this a prime opportunity that doesn't come up all the time. McBath is wise to take it.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #152 on: September 05, 2019, 04:32:23 PM »

Yeah, but this message won't resonate outside of the Atlanta metro area and she will get absolutely trounced in small towns
These people are already Republicans. Stop gaslighting Democrats into abandoning their core values. McBath can run and win statewide in Georgia.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #153 on: September 05, 2019, 04:34:34 PM »

Bad decision for McBath if true. She's WAY more likely to win re-election to GA-06 than to win statewide in an open senate seat. Also increases Republican odds in the 6th.

I wouldn't go that far. GA-06 fits the profile of a district that will move towards the Democrats next year. If the Senate/Presidential races are in any way competitive in Georgia next year, the Democratic nominees should provide sufficient coattails for the GA-06 Dem.

At the very least, McBath is definitely one of the better recruits for this race. She could probably come the closest to replicating the Abrams coalition, and her gun control message is also one that could resonate with a lot of voters - both African-Americans as well as some whites in the Atlanta metro. Also, I think if she were to enter other prospective Democrats would not run in deference to her - this is important because the Democrats would need to consolidate around one candidate if they want any chance to win the special on election night.

She doesn't need those voters. They are already very conservative and the outstate region is only making up a smaller share of Georgia's electorate over time.

I'm still not sure 2020 will be the year that a breakthrough will occur though. It's very hard for me to see McBath winning a Senate race if Trump still carried the state.
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #154 on: September 05, 2019, 04:36:12 PM »

She lost a winnable race by 1.4 despite a D+8 year. The performance of Carter in 2014 was far more impressive when you take into consideration the fact that 2014 was a horrible year for dems
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #155 on: September 05, 2019, 04:37:32 PM »

I'm still not sure 2020 will be the year that a breakthrough will occur though. It's very hard for me to see McBath winning a Senate race if Trump still carried the state.

It's also my opinion, she would lose by around 4
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #156 on: September 05, 2019, 04:38:04 PM »

She lost a winnable race by 1.4 despite a D+8 year. The performance of Carter in 2014 was far more impressive when you take into consideration the fact that 2014 was a horrible year for dems

Perhaps both election results were because of how GA is a notoriously inelastic state rather than Abrams being a bad candidate?
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #157 on: September 05, 2019, 04:41:34 PM »

Perhaps both election results were because of how GA is a notoriously inelastic state rather than Abrams being a bad candidate?

Sure, GA is not MN nor NH, it's far less elastic, but Carter and Nunn were clearly able to gain the votes of people who otherwise voted R, it's just a fact.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #158 on: September 05, 2019, 04:42:09 PM »

As I've said before, 2018 was a abnormally weak wave for Democrats at the gubernatorial and state legislative levels, to say nothing of the Senate. One or more of Abrams, Gillum, Cordray, or Hubbell should have won. None of them did. The only true triumphs Democrats had last year at the statewide level were defeating Scott Walker in Wisconsin and beating Kris Kobach in Kansas.
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #159 on: September 05, 2019, 04:42:37 PM »

Pulling a Jacky Rosen actually isn't a bad idea. McBath represents a swing district so she has already managed to win voters that are necessary to win statewide and she can easily raise money. GA-6 is probably not going to get anymore favorable to Republicans so Democrats have a good chance at maintaining it. An open seat and only needing to find about 55-60k votes to win the race makes this a prime opportunity that doesn't come up all the time. McBath is wise to take it.

Comapring NV and GA is like comparing oranges and apples
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #160 on: September 05, 2019, 04:42:56 PM »

As I've said before, 2018 was a abnormally weak wave for Democrats at the gubernatorial and state legislative levels, to say nothing of the Senate. One or more of Abrams, Gillum, Cordray, or Hubbell should have won. None of them did. The only true triumphs Democrats had last year at the statewide level were defeating Scott Walker in Wisconsin and beating Kris Kobach in Kansas.
Gotta love that level of projection.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #161 on: September 05, 2019, 04:44:16 PM »

Considering that you can't spell comparing I'm not about to be chastised by you.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #162 on: September 05, 2019, 04:44:45 PM »

It's also my opinion, she would lose by around 4

I think it's likely that she might come as close as Abrams did, and there's the possibility that she could win. But I see virtually no chance of her winning if both Trump and Perdue are carrying the state, particularly the former. Georgia has very limited ticket-splitting. The only exception to this recently was in 2016, when Johnny Isakson ran substantially ahead of Trump.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #163 on: September 05, 2019, 04:45:58 PM »

Gotta love that level of projection.

I've been consistent on this since the election last November. Polarization limited the extent of the Democratic gains. Democrats did much, much better, at the state and gubernatorial level back in 2006.
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #164 on: September 05, 2019, 04:48:46 PM »

Considering that you can't spell comparing I'm not about to be chastised by you.

What a powerful counterargument.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #165 on: September 05, 2019, 04:53:32 PM »

This poster and other Republicans spent the whole 2018 cycle saying Abrams was DOA. Now she blew a winnable race. LMAO. Ok. Anything to ignore the fact that GA will be Likely D sooner rather than later.

And if anyone won voters that otherwise vote R out of Abrams/Nunn/Carter it was Abrams. But keep going with your delusions.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #166 on: September 05, 2019, 04:55:54 PM »

I never said Nevada and Georgia were exactly the same, but you knew that. My point was that a freshman representative running for the Senate isn't always a bad idea especially when said representative represents a swing district.

You all want to keep ignoring that every single statewide race was decided within single digits last year. The votes to make up that deficit can be made up by registering new voters. Georgia is clearly not the same state it was 10 or even 5 years ago.
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #167 on: September 05, 2019, 04:56:25 PM »

This poster and other Republicans spent the whole 2018 cycle saying Abrams was DOA. Now she blew a winnable race. LMAO. Ok. Anything to ignore the fact that GA will be Likely D sooner rather than later.

And if anyone won voters that otherwise vote R out of Abrams/Nunn/Carter it was Abrams. But keep going with your delusions.

If someone is delusionnal here, it's you. You are just a big moron who believes that Abrams is the rightful governor.

Besides I was not on atlas last year since I created my profile in january.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #168 on: September 05, 2019, 04:58:13 PM »

If someone is delusionnal here, it's you. You are just a big moron who believes that Abrams is the rightful governor.

I suggest you not engage him. To converse with someone like him would be well beneath your time and effort.
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #169 on: September 05, 2019, 04:59:23 PM »

I never said Nevada and Georgia were exactly the same, but you knew that. My point was that a freshman representative running for the Senate isn't always a bad idea especially when said representative represents a swing district.

You all want to keep ignoring that every single statewide race was decided within single digits last year. The votes to make up that deficit can be made up by registering new voters. Georgia is clearly not the same state it was 10 or even 5 years ago.

Sure, GA is becoming more D friendly over the years, but McBath (contrary to Rosen) would be a significant underdog.
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #170 on: September 05, 2019, 05:03:48 PM »

I suggest you not engage him. To converse with someone like him would be well beneath your time and effort.

Yeah, you're right
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #171 on: September 05, 2019, 05:05:33 PM »

inb4 Osoff jumps into GA-06 and blows it again
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #172 on: September 05, 2019, 05:09:33 PM »

I thought you hated personal attacks though?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #173 on: September 05, 2019, 05:15:33 PM »

Yeah, you're right

That's something which I've been adhering to since my return to this website. Not to converse with anyone on my ignore list, or who I've had conflict with before. It's all you can do, given those who inhabit here.

At any rate, we will have to wait and see what McBath does.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #174 on: September 05, 2019, 05:21:54 PM »

Sure, GA is becoming more D friendly over the years, but McBath (contrary to Rosen) would be a significant underdog.

What is not clicking? What is not clicking? I never said the states were the same politically, but you are twisting my words. Stop it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 42  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies