Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 06:25:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 74
Author Topic: Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 135940 times)
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #850 on: October 31, 2019, 12:50:06 PM »

Gabriel Greene, a long-distance truck driver whose son was a football prospect, said he had not heard of Mr. Buttigieg.

As a reporter ticked off some details about him — 37 years old, a mayor, a veteran of the war in Afghanistan, married to a man — Mr. Greene interrupted.

“You say he’s married to a man?” he said. “He lost my vote. I believe in Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve.’’

Roll Eyes

These people wouldn't vote for a Democrat anyway, and we shouldn't be trying to win their votes.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #851 on: October 31, 2019, 12:53:44 PM »

No, I think he'd just poll poorly the whole time.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #852 on: October 31, 2019, 01:36:25 PM »

Gabriel Greene, a long-distance truck driver whose son was a football prospect, said he had not heard of Mr. Buttigieg.

As a reporter ticked off some details about him — 37 years old, a mayor, a veteran of the war in Afghanistan, married to a man — Mr. Greene interrupted.

“You say he’s married to a man?” he said. “He lost my vote. I believe in Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve.’’

Roll Eyes

These people wouldn't vote for a Democrat anyway, and we shouldn't be trying to win their votes.
That’s not true. There are homophobic Democrats and that’s just the reality.
DK_Mo82
Rookie
« Reply #853 on: October 31, 2019, 01:53:36 PM »

Not, elections with incumbent president are referendums on that president. T
People have so strong views on Trump compared to other presidents past, that I don't expect it to make much difference to the results in the end of the day, no matter who is the Democratic candidate.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #854 on: October 31, 2019, 07:20:05 PM »

He won't be the nominee. So, no.

If he was though, I definitely would. I never overestimate the American voting populace under any circumstance.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #855 on: October 31, 2019, 07:25:33 PM »

Roll Eyes

That’s not true. There are homophobic Democrats and that’s just the reality.
I think blacks are actually more anti-gay than republicans.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #856 on: October 31, 2019, 10:26:20 PM »

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #857 on: October 31, 2019, 11:36:03 PM »

He could, if he wins both IA & NH and then finds an Obama style way of creating enthusiasm with a speech/slogan or something.

The problem with his polling numbers right now is that he's still very unknown to voters in general.

Even just half of Democrats know who he is at the moment. This name ID problem hurts his poll numbers against Trump.

Interesting would be IA general election polls, because he's most known there to voters.

But there are none ...
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #858 on: October 31, 2019, 11:45:03 PM »

Thoughts ?

Biden's favourable ratings have collapsed Hillary-style over the past year and have gone from +20 to -2 now.

Same with Sanders, who was always seen as favourable by 10-20 points in 2016 - but is now even or even in negative territory.

Warren is ca. at -2 and Harris even at -7.

Pete is at +1.

Trump: -10 to -20.

Source: RCP averages.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #859 on: October 31, 2019, 11:59:07 PM »

On the other hand, such concerns and outright hostility against a gay presidential candidate could be easily compensated by a lot of new voters who have never or not voted for a long time before and who want a fresh face.
Wazza [INACTIVE]
Wazza1901
« Reply #860 on: November 01, 2019, 08:33:01 AM »

Roll Eyes

Yes they do, especially considering that Mr Greene is probably a black man from South Carolina judging by the context of the article (Black voters in the Democratic Primary).
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/27/us/politics/pete-buttigieg-south-carolina.html
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #861 on: November 01, 2019, 08:35:52 AM »

A gay has a much better chance of winning a Republican presidential primary in the current year than the Democratic primary.
ShamDam
ChanDan

« Reply #862 on: November 01, 2019, 08:59:23 AM »

Homophobia definitely exists, and there are some people who likely won't vote for Pete Buttigieg at least in part because he's gay. But those people aren't claiming to support him in polls, meaning there will be no "Gaydley Effect"
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #863 on: November 01, 2019, 09:57:53 AM »

Roll Eyes

Yes they do, especially considering that Mr Greene is probably a black man from South Carolina judging by the context of the article (Black voters in the Democratic Primary).
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/27/us/politics/pete-buttigieg-south-carolina.html

Losing these scarce, scattered and few Democratic voters who wouldn't vote for a gay man won't substantially harm the ticket, and would be worth it. If the Democratic Party wants to be a party for justice and equality, it shouldn't bow before racists or homophobes.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #864 on: November 01, 2019, 12:32:58 PM »

It is worth nothing that a Gallup poll conducted earlier this year, 24% of respondents said they would not vote for an LGBT presidential candidate - when broken down by party ID, it includes 39% of Republicans, 17% of Democrats, and 18% of Independents.

If Buttigieg were to win the nomination, I would vote for him in the general election, but I won't promote him among my family/friends/acquaintances (not because of his sexual orientation, but because I think his proposed policies won't go far enough for the country).
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #865 on: November 01, 2019, 01:00:25 PM »

A gay has a much better chance of winning a Republican presidential primary in the current year than the Democratic primary.

Yeah, but Mike Pence isn't coming out of the closet any time soon.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #866 on: November 01, 2019, 01:42:41 PM »

Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #867 on: November 01, 2019, 02:40:30 PM »

I think it has to do with people liking the underdogs. If Buttigieg became leading in first place it is very likely he will have a negative favourablity rating.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #868 on: November 01, 2019, 02:42:02 PM »

Roll Eyes

Someday we should compile a list of all the categories of Americans who Atlas thinks "wouldn't vote for a Democrat anyway." Factoring in the "transphobes," people who don't like the "Squad," Midwestern Christians, truck drivers, Obama-Trump voters, various socially conservative minorities, "Islamophobes," suburban whites who don't want their taxes to go up, and small business owners, it's a wonder that you guys have any hope to win this election at all.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #869 on: November 01, 2019, 03:06:24 PM »

Roll Eyes

Someday we should compile a list of all the categories of Americans who Atlas thinks "wouldn't vote for a Democrat anyway." Factoring in the "transphobes," people who don't like the "Squad," Midwestern Christians, truck drivers, Obama-Trump voters, various socially conservative minorities, "Islamophobes," suburban whites who don't want their taxes to go up, and small business owners, it's a wonder that you guys have any hope to win this election at all.

This part is particularly relevant to note. As was mentioned, this man, Mr. Greene, is a black Democrat. Many black voters continue to remain opposed to gay marriage (including my own father and one of my uncles). I remember seeing a poll (I can't remember if it was Pew or Gallup), which showed that 51% of blacks supported gay marriage, the lowest figure of support among any racial group (by contrast, approximately 60% of whites support gay marriage, as do 58% of Asians and Hispanics). It has to be kept in mind that blacks are probably the most deeply religious group in this country, and have a long and powerful tradition of faith, particularly in Southern states such as South Carolina. This tradition goes back to slavery.

As I've said before, many socially conservative blacks would be voting Republican were it not for issues such as criminal justice, poverty, voter discrimination, and the like, and were it not for the racism and bigotry which they see evident within the Republican Party.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #870 on: November 01, 2019, 03:24:00 PM »

Roll Eyes

Many Atlas lefties think Democrats should sacrifice suburban "neoliberals" at the altar in order to futilely chase after #populists Purple heart like this guy and racist Kentucky Hill People, LOL.

Thank god these people have zero power in the Democratic Party and never will. We really would end up being a permanent minority.
Basil
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 1.13

« Reply #871 on: November 01, 2019, 04:06:56 PM »

A gay Republican could be elected, but not a gay Democrat. That's just the nature of our political reality.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #872 on: November 01, 2019, 06:42:43 PM »

It's hard to put much stock into this metric as Buttigieg has consistently polled the worst in early (and admittedly irrelevant) general election head-to-head polls against Trump.
Hoosier_Nick
Nicholas_Roberts
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.03, S: -7.22

« Reply #873 on: November 01, 2019, 08:03:16 PM »

It's hard to put much stock into this metric as Buttigieg has consistently polled the worst in early (and admittedly irrelevant) general election head-to-head polls against Trump.

It helps that a lot of likely Democratic voters for the general still don't know anything about Pete and are saying they're not sure. Trump's numbers are still stuck at 42-44% for all Dems.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #874 on: November 01, 2019, 11:02:34 PM »

If Buttigieg does end up winning the primary, one of the lessons I imagine we'll take away from it as that being the presumed front-runner in a primary can actually be a negative since it puts the spotlight on you, and in 2019/2020 the spotlight isn't necessarily a good thing.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies